"Antidepressants Are Dangerous" - FDA

It's a great idioticy to think that a pill can cure depression. The pill only suppresses the symptoms, but the psychological source for the problem in the first place remains.
Not all depression is caused by psychological problems. It can also be caused by chemical imbalances, which may be genetic or environmental.

See this: http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/Depression_Information/causes2.htm

Changes to levels of neurochemicals
Clinical Depression is often said to be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, and this is what most drug treatments are based on. Certainly in many cases, there is a reduction in the amount of certain neurotransmitters found (monoamines such as serotonin and norepinephrine) in depressed people.

However, low serotonin levels are simply another symtom of depression, not a cause. The more negative introspection you carry out, and the fewer pleasure-giving activities you participate in, the lower your serotonin levels become.

"Regarding depression as "just" a chemical imbalance wildly misconstrues the disorder."
Psychology Today
March, 1999

Drug therapies that work on this imbalance lift depression completely in a third of those who take them and partially in another third. For a third of people, antidepressants don't work at all, and many who do get positive results stop taking them because the side effects are worse than the depression symptoms they are supposed to be treating.

Antidepressants are also much worse at preventing relapse than appropriate psychotherapy (which is obvious, when you consider they are treating a symptom, not the cause of depression.) (1, 2)

Depression can lead to chemical changes in the brain, which return to normal once your depression lifts.

Also, we are fully aware that clinical depression is far more than a prolonged sadness, or period of grieving. Yet these chemical imbalances can be found on occasion in all of these situations.

This is why depression is not caused by chemical imbalance in the vast majority of cases.

Hormonal imbalances

One 'medical' cause of depression often given is the overproduction of stress hormones.

The hormonal imbalances related to depression are to do with our natural reactions to stress, and stress and depression are certainly linked. But does this hormonal imbalance actually cause depression?

It is true that depressed people often have increased levels of stress hormones in their bloodstream (3), but again, this is a symptom, not a cause.

When you ruminate, or introspect in a negative way, you create emotional arousal that causes the release of stress hormones. That night, in REM (dream sleep), you become emotionally aroused again as dreaming 'flushes out' the emotional arousal from your brain.

That is why depressed people have higher levels of stress hormones, and also why you can wake up feeling exhausted. More on this later.

+ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_imbalance_theory

Chemical imbalance is sometimes used as a lay explanation of mental illness or mental disorders. The term is used in consumer literature and websites for psychoactive drugs (e.g., [1]), and in advertising in the United States after the deregulation of pharmaceutical advertising. It is not used in scientific literature as it does not reflect current knowledge. A criticism of the use of this lay explanation is that explaining mental illness in terms of 'chemical imbalance' implicates a chemical solution. For example, insufficient availability of insulin in type I diabetes is treated with insulin. By analogy, it then appears that the appropriate treatment for insufficient (imbalanced) neurotransmitter levels is a chemical that fixes this balance. However, unlike Type I diabetes, chemical insufficiencies have never been identified in patients diagnosed with mental disorders, and other treatments are available for mental illness, and medication is often most effective when supplemented with other treatments.

Last edited:
Anti-depressants increase rate of suicide 670%. Yes 670%

Read this (copy it and paste it into your net address line and hit enter). It won't let me paste the url. Search on FDA ending the astrocities. Anti-depressants increase the risk of suicide by six hundres and seventy percent.

I took ONE Effexor tablet and if I did not have quite a lot of experience and knowledge I would have slit my throat. Luckily I knew that it was a drug reaction and that I just had to spend maybe 24 hours or so in hell and I never took another one and recovered.

Pharmaceutical companies and doctors and the government who pass these drugs have many lives to answer for.

Remember this is what they HAVE told us now. The truth would be a lot worse. Use every other kind of therapy but DON'T USE ANTI-DEPRESSANTS.

Back