Americans may have to get used to a slow-growth economy, WHY

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Buddha12, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Qaudraphonics If you can not recognize that new power plants and new, very smooth, high speed capable, rail lines have "lasting value" compared to tickets for ball game played in 2010 or earlier, then there is no point in trying to precisely define that difference for you.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

So unless I accept your undefined, unsubstantiated claims at face value, you aren't going to attempt to define your terms or substantiate your claims? That's not real impressive, and doesn't make me look bad.

If you wish to hurl insults at me instead of responding substantively, that's your prerogative of course. But it's not going to impress anyone as to the validity of your claims, scientific basis of your outlook, or confidence of your convictions. It is also not going to silence me: I can and will simply reiterate my various objections that you have failed to answer the next time you bring this up. So I suggest you either drop this line of rhetoric, or get serious about substantiating it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gorlitz Iron Man Registered Senior Member

Well it seems the Fed at least have the right idea with more QE, though I'd like to see it on a much bigger scale and actually reaching the pockets of ordinary people:

http://www.ftadviser.com/2012/09/13...-recovery-gMAz31cVsTsVk9iP0JpEBO/article.html

Lets hope the Europeans take note and actually learn from this. Would certainly make for a more palatable option than the ECB constantly buying up bonds from debt ridden Eurozone states. That said the German tax paying public are now being forced to swallow the idea they've all been committed to the potentially unlimited funding of european bailout fund. I bet right now they wouldn't be opposed to the idea of large scale QE to help struggling Eurozone countries to pay down their debt.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

No I have three times now defined "lasting value GDP" the sum total of ONLY the economic activity that has most of its valued still two years later. I.e. you don´t include tickets sold to 2010 ball games etc. In some cases one will not be able to tell if the funds spent have value two years later so then, as normal with government released numbers there will be later corrections.
    Unlike you frequently do, I never resort to name calling. Thus even if I wanted to, I wouldn´t need to do anything to "make you look bad" - You do a quite adequate job of that without my help. Quite a few of you posts are ONLY personal attacks on me - for example the one which you called me "senile" has not one word on the subject of the thread.

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Here, on the 4th anniversary of Lehman´s collapse, are some numbers you may not enjoy:
    *Considering that the US population has increased by approximately 10 million in the since Lehman collapsed, 3 million less working now than then is scary.
    Certainly part of why now 1 in 7 is on food stamps and 1 in 3 gets some financial aid from government (and that does not count Social security or medicare payments)

10. boppa Registered Senior Member

assuming he doesn't need another beer or two...

this- in a nutshell- shows every argument against `the bosses' every worker has ever had...

`It's very very hard to get good workers. And even when you do get a good worker, some of those ones have some sort of irrational resentment and can have a bit of passive aggression as if it's your fault they're stuck at work instead of out at the beach enjoying their life. Or stuck working late Friday or picking up work on the weekend. Well, tough, that's the job - do it or find another job. No one is making you work. You choose to work.'

yes we/they all `chose' to work...
    hypocrites like you make me pucking up sick

you have the greed to do bad- and the stupid to do badder...

and expect everyone to applaud you???

keep dreaming stupid- nobody that has to actually work at a job will ever support you

(this is the `blond bimbo' mindset to a tee- they simply dont `get it')

they never have and never will

they are simply too dumb to understand ethics....

they truly believe that `greed is good'

11. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Then make the argument. Put forward a logical argument and not a whinny rant.
    Either you're not using the word 'hypocrite' correctly or you're not making your point clearly. As for your nausea, well, that's also not a logical argument.
    What do you mean 'greed'? Who says I'm actually making money?

Suppose I've just started a business and I unfortunately hired an employee that doesn't work hard and is causing me to lose my entire life's savings because I can't fire them due to various laws?

You seem to see things clearly from the workers perspective, but what about from the owner's? Do you know how hard it is to run a business? How competitive the market is? How much time and effort? What if the owner has put the family home up as collateral to the bank - and because of this one worker will not only lose this business BUT their home as well?

You talk about 'greed'? What the f*ck are you talking about? Have you ever opened your own business? Have you ever worked as a manager?

Where did I say I wanted adoration? No where. You just made that up because you had already painted a picture of the 'greedy' business owner.

What if I said my business was selling organic coffee from farmers who own their own land in South Africa? That I had a partnership to try and work with these farmers so they make enough money to earn a good living and I make enough to pay back the loans on the business. That I had 10 employees but because of one bad worker all of us would lose everything. The S. African farmers will have to sell their farms. I'd have to sell my house. The employees who wanted to buy into and expand the business will go broke and not have money to make rent. Their kids will go hungry.

Do I own such a business? No. But there are many who do. But, you don't seem to see things from their point of view do you? I wouldn't doubt you don't shop at Walmart while complaining there's no good jobs in America.

I'm not sure what you're going on about. While I have a couple people working under me that are stellar. I just signed a contract with a person who was less than satisfactory. I personally had to cover them on four occasions. We're talking about 30 hours of labor. I did so at MY expense. Even though I didn't have to. I could have forced them to meet their contractual obligations but didn't. I still paid them for time I worked.

Once the contract ends, I simply won't sign another contract with them. It's that simple. You see it like they lost a job. I see it as someone else lost a job - someone who probably needed the work much more and would have worked hard to do their best.

Ethics is the study of morality, which morals are you referring to?
    Who said 'greed' is good? Being stingy and saving is sometimes necessary - but so what? That capital is saved and invested. It's what actually moves the world forward. Yeah, life is good if you can just spend and enjoy your life, but to do so others must save and invest.