9/11 Poll

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by scott3x, Feb 7, 2009.

?

Who was responsible for 9/11?

1. 1- The official story regarding 9/11 is the sacred truth. Questioning it is blasphemous.

2.2%
  2. 2- The official story regarding 9/11 is more or less right. No need to investigate further.

43.3%
  3. 3- The official story regarding 9/11 is questionable in some areas.

20.0%
  4. 4- EoG (Elements of the Government) let 9/11 happen.

2.2%
  5. 5- EoG let 9/11 happen. EoG prevented the investigation of certain individuals before 9/11.

6.7%
  6. 6- EoG, perhaps in the form of a secret society, made 9/11 happen.

17.8%
  7. 7- Other

7.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott3x Banned Banned

My argument is that no statements should be classified as 'stupid'. 'Flawed' is a far less offensive term.

Do I look like the moderator? I have in the past criticized Tony, Headspin and psikey when I felt they went too far. Believe me, while it may be hard to criticize your opponents, I've found that it can be even worse when you criticize your friends. So I've decided I'll generally stick to criticizing those who are criticizing me.

You can also do that by doing -this-, bolding, italics, underlining.. many other options. Many say that using caps locked words is the text equivalent of shouting; I'm one of them.

I never argued otherwise.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony Szamboti Registered Senior Member

The collapse of WTC 1 initiated at the 98th floor.

The weight of the building above that floor was 68,295,000 lbs..

The total area of the core columns at the 98th floor was 2,645 in.^2 with their yield strength being an average of about 39,000 psi and there were 47 core columns.

The total area of the perimeter columns at the 98th floor was 3,682 in. ^2 with their yield strength being 65,000 psi and there were 236 perimeter columns.

If all core columns were equal and the core was the only support for the building mass above you would need 31 columns. Remember this is with no perimeter columns.

All of the perimeter columns were equal and if they were the only support for the building mass above you would need 68 perimeter columns.

The actual weight of the severed columns themselves would be somewhat insignificant as the columns only represented about 10% of the weight of the building above.

There is no situation in either the North or South Towers where there was the type of asymmetry you discuss, as far as a fulcrum on just one side of the building. The worst situation one could plausibly use is that of a channel vs. the original square tube. With a channel the stiffeners or side walls counteract the moments, which is what it sounds like you are alluding to as amplification, and allow the load to be taken vertically in compression. There were no significant cantilevered situations or moments in either tower due to the impact damage. Even so, WTC 2's collapse initiated at the 82nd floor which was above the major impact damage. WTC 1's collapse initiated at the 98th floor, which was also above the aircraft impact damage and it also failed on the opposite side of the building from where the aircraft entered.

It sounds like you think asymmetric vertical loading of the columns played a role due to seeing the tilts involved. In reality the tilts were simply due to where the first failures took place. You could say the initial failures were somewhat asymmetric. However, they were not due to asymmetric damage as there were no moments involved about horizontal axes causing asymmetric vertical loading of the columns and you can see this by looking at the collapse initiation of WTC 1. If what you were saying were true then WTC 1 would have had it's initial failure on it's north face but that isn't what happened.

Finally, even the NIST admits that the aircraft impact damage played little to no part in the collapses. As you should be aware their theory is that, in both cases floor trusses cause perimeter columns to be pulled inward causing them to buckle and initiate the collapses.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Technically, accusing me of fraud is libelous, which Tony has done (and yes, I know you keep focussing on the point that Tony only ever said he thought I might be, however, not even Tony is pursuing that defense - which should tell you something in and of itself).

And you're completely missing my point to boot Scott.

My point was, that as far as I'm concerned IF you ignore me THEN you loose the right to refer to my arguments.

It's a matter of simple manners.

Reverse the situation, and imagine the scenario where I've put you in my ignore list, and then start referring to things that you've said (or that I claim you've said).

It's going to start bugging the hell out of you pretty damn quickly isn't it? However, because I've got you on my ignore list, you have no way of redressing my misconceptions about your statements.

Are you beginning to understand it yet?

I've actually been in that situation on another forum, so don't try and tell me i'm being unreasonable, and yes, if push came to shove, I would take my case to the moderators, because I don't believe it's unreasonable. From a strictly technical standpoint, when you claim I've said something, you're accusing me of having made the statement BUT, if you accuse me of having made a statement, while you have me on your ignore list, then I have no ability to face my accuser in any meaningful way, which is a basic human right in most countries.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scott3x Banned Banned

Uh, no. My comment was directed at you, but you had nothing to do with its creation. So you can't speak for what I was getting at with it.

8. psikeyhackr Live Long and Suffer Valued Senior Member

Are you attempting to imply that the buildings were stronger than necessary?

How could they possibly have been destroyed by airliners if that were the case?

You are attempting to induce cognitive dissonance.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

psik

9. scott3x Banned Banned

I've spoken to Tony privately about how I think it unlikely that you're a shill. As far as I know, he has never said that he's certain of your shillness

Are you suggesting that I'm ignoring you? Heck, if I refer to your arguments, I'm clearly not ignoring you.

There's a very big difference between referring to things that I've said and things that you claim that I've said. Remember when I pointed out to you that something that you'd double quoted wasn't something that I'd actually said.

It depends on which one of the above it is...

Trippy, that would only be true if the only 2 people here were you and me; then you could go on about what you believed I said and I'd be powerless to persuade the one person who might be listening to your statements; that is, you yourself. However, this isn't the case; there are many people here; so while you may ignore me, I can still talk to others about your (hypothetical) misconceptions. In a very real way, I'd say that it puts -you- at a disadvantage, as you would be unaware of how I would be undermining your arguments.

Now you're going places. The moderators are clearly the ones to turn to if you feel you're being wronged. If -they- don't listen, your options become rather limited; either find a way to take it to court if, as you suggest, libel is in fact occuring and you've got the interest, money and the time, or just find another place to post.

Trippy, this isn't a court of law; if someone accusses you of something here, it doesn't mean you might end up in jail or face some other sanction. What's more, while your (hypothetical) accuser may have you on ignore, he or she isn't the only person here.

10. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

Please clarify what you mean by “extremely high”.

All I can find are these photos -
    http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2001/ofr-01-0405/ofr-01-0405.html

I think you are shoehorning the data a little to say that high temperatures were seen only around WTC1, WTC2 and WTC7. There are hotspots all over the complex there.

It’s possibly a moot point anyway as those were the buildings which experienced the most burning. So it wouldn’t necessarily be anything suspicious anyway. Correct?

Regarding Jones’ test of mixing aluminum with other materials. I still maintain that mixing some wood chips and plastic in a little pot with aluminum is a poor recreation of what was happening in the towers.

However I don’t actually know what molten stuff was. Did it change color as it fell and cooled? If so, what color?

If it were molten steel, would it be from cutting columns? Wouldn’t there be some very suspicious looking steel in the rubble?

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

This ones been done in another thread. It was the Aluminium Panelling which had melted. However for some reason Scott and maybe even yourself through Aluminium would just be a silvery liquid, while of course suggesting in turn that the temperature was high enough to melt steel.

Incidentally Aluminium can glow when heated and has a colour chart to go with it's temperature level.

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

If Tony is uncertain of my shillness, than he should never have levelled the accusation in the first place - presenting something as the truth, when you're uncertain of it's status as such, constitutes a lie.

I have never claimed that you are ignoring me.
    This discussion sparked off when you made a comment about potentially ignoring me, and I have always qualified my statement with the proviso "Should you choose to ignore me", or words to that effect.
    If you are not choosing to ignore me than we have no quarrel (until such time as you do choose to ignore me).

I'm running out of analogies, and yes, I understand fully that this isn't a court of law, blah blah blah, but the same basice principles apply.

The fact that you're not the only person reading this thread is wholly irrelevant.

Imagine the scenario where two parties are attempting to have a debate, but one of those parties has cotton wool stuffed in their ears.

The simple fact of the matter is you have demonstrated yourself incapable of understanding the point that I am trying to make (where others who have taken a position opposing me in debates and tried this very tactic have responded that it's a 'fair cop' or 'valid complaint' on my part), and so I am no longer interested in pursuing this topic with you.

Let this be the end of it.

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I wasn't meaning that it was literaly the way I was describing, I was endeavouring to use an exageration of my point to better illustrate it, and it seems to have worked, as you seem to have finally understood what I was trying to get at.

Of course, being at home, I can now take the time out to draw a simplified force diagram to illustrate what I was saying.

Note, this is simplified, and I understand that the cross bracing and load transfer mechanisms mean that in the real scenario, it wouldn't be as straight forward (the diagram illustrates core colums with no load transfer mechanisms - among other things) however I trust it illustrates my point better?

And no, I'm not suggesting that there was a rotational moment involved inducing plastic deformation embrittling the steel, what I am suggesting is it seems to me that, in essence, the magnitude and sign of any changes in loading resulting from a severed member, or columns is dependent on the distance from the Bobbit - I mean severed member, and that combined with the loss of vertical load capacity caused by direct damage on the heavily damaged or moderately damaged colums, or a change in slenderness resulting from the forces created by the sagging floors, the change in the shape of the stress ellipse, and the loss of rigidity caused by the fire - which only needs to heat the steel to about 500°C to cause a reduction of Youngs Modulus by 27% (which you interpret as a loss of compressive strength) might have meant that once the collapse initiated, it might not so easily have been arrested.

My conclusions have nothing to do with looking at the tilt observed, but what to me seems to be simple logic and physics.

As far as WTC one goes the first place I see evidence of movement isn't in the mast, but in the the approximate middle of the face visible in the footage that you derived your acceleration curve from.

I also see (preliminary) evidence in the form of Moir patterns, of increasing stress focussing on the damaged corner (on the screen left), which gels with both my understanding of materials science and rheology - if, for a moment, we simplify the towere as being a homgenous block of steel, and then gouge a chunk out of one face of it, then any compressive forces (along the long axis) are going to focus on the imperfections (in this case the gash). These (preliminary) conclusions are based on XOR and differential analysis of subsequent frames, and (seperately - as in 4 lots of analysis) comparison to the first frame in the 12 frame sequence that I believe you linked to at one stage.

Right, and if you take the time to look at the results of Scotts pole, you will see that I'm one of the 35 people that voted that NISTS results are basically correct - in other words, there's a few points that I may disagree with them on, but then, they're the ones that ran the finite element analysis, and I don't have access to that sort of computer power - probably the best I could manage would be a rough spreadsheet analysis.

But also, I'm not, and never have been, hypothesizing about the cause of the collapse, but rather the factors that might have allowed it to propogate - this appears to be yet another example of you misunderstanding what i'm trying to say.

14. Tony Szamboti Registered Senior Member

Your diagram is a two dimensional cross sectional slice and the real situation was three dimensional with still intact columns in every direction. If you were to show all of the slices in front and back of the one you show there would be columns along the full width in many of them.

The situation you show in your diagram did not exist over the full width of the tower, which is what would be needed to cause an issue. What you are doing here is like showing only the inside area of something that was hollowed out. It is not a complete picture.

Additionally, the type of thing you are discussing here would not have been a factor in propagation and it is hard to understand why you think it would.

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

here is someone elses explanation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhHzMttUKO0&NR=1

it occurred to me that one of the engines or landing gear or both could have been responsible for at least some of this damage.
    that corner does look grotesque, probably where the collapse initiated.

edit:
    http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/0112/Eagar/Eagar-0112.html

16. Tony Szamboti Registered Senior Member

If you did an overlay of the building locations onto the infrared photo you would see that the hot spots are specifically under WTC 1, WTC 2, and WTC 7.

Why don't we see it under WTC 5 and WTC 6 which were burning fiercely all day? It isn't true that only the other three buildings were doing most of the burning.

Incendiaries could have been used to melt and destroy joints and not necessarily to cut the columns.

17. psikeyhackr Live Long and Suffer Valued Senior Member

Skyscrapers are designed to hold themselves up but I am obsessed because the people who claim to be experts on building collapses don't specify the quantities and weights of the components which they admit supported 50% of the weight of the building. They only took 3 years toproduce 10,000 pages and can't tell us the distribution of steel and concrete. The columns got progressively thicker toward the bottom, not just at the bottom.

I'm only obsessed with pointing out the obvious incompetence of the self professed experts and the gullibility of the people that accept the bullshit.

It is just my method of entertaining myself with TOYS.

psik

18. scott3x Banned Banned

Where did you get this idea? From all the evidence I have seen, it couldn't be aluminum. Steven Jones has gone over the whole issue in great depth, as I present in post 1229 in this thread. I am aware that both leopold and Kenny have challenged his evidence, but I haven't really reviewed their claims. I don't believe either of them have written any peer reviewed papers though.

You know, I just started thinking of something; -regardless- of whether it was melted steel or aluminum, if it were high enough to melt steel, NIST's argument that the building was only heated by fires would be shot; that's because there's no way the fires could have gotten the metal that hot. In any case, aluminum melts way before it slightly incandesces yellow/orange and because the incandescence is so slight, it wouldn't be visible under daylight conditions. At melting temperature, it isn't yellow/orange under any circumstances, glowing heavier metal containers not withstanding.

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

It occurs to me that according to these numbers, a total lateral displacement of 29 inches would be sufficient to overload the core columns with a 1g jolt.

20. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Really? I hadn't noticed, or maybe I had and that's what I meant by:
    Didn't claim it did, didn't claim it was, hence:
    So lemme get this straight - you don't think pre-existing stress, and pre-existing column deformation had a role to play in collapse propagation?

21. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Oh look. Proof Scott is wrong yet again.
    Aluminium glowing somewhere between cherry red, and orange, in broad daylight:

And note that it IS the aluminium glowing in this photo.

Oh.
    And get this:

That's aluminium, that has been heated to melting IN A DOMESTIC FIREPLACE, and it's glowing.

Another shot of the Aluminium, melted in the same soup can as the above photo, and it is clearly the aluminium that's glowing, not the soup can.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Steven Jones got it WRONG, and anybody who understands highschool physics should understand why (IMHO).

22. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

There is a difference between holding themselves up and then suddenly having to hold up dozens of floors of falling mass.

Some of the core columns were seen to still be standing after the floors pancaked around them. So obviously, some of these would have to be left out of the initial collapse wave.

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Molten Aluminium

Molten Aluminium

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.