9/11 Poll

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by scott3x, Feb 7, 2009.

?

Who was responsible for 9/11?

1. 1- The official story regarding 9/11 is the sacred truth. Questioning it is blasphemous.

2.2%
  2. 2- The official story regarding 9/11 is more or less right. No need to investigate further.

43.3%
  3. 3- The official story regarding 9/11 is questionable in some areas.

20.0%
  4. 4- EoG (Elements of the Government) let 9/11 happen.

2.2%
  5. 5- EoG let 9/11 happen. EoG prevented the investigation of certain individuals before 9/11.

6.7%
  6. 6- EoG, perhaps in the form of a secret society, made 9/11 happen.

17.8%
  7. 7- Other

7.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott3x Banned Banned

There was no 'we' when -I- stated that I felt that Tony would perhaps be better able to assess how your knowledge of how things deform and flow would affect your understanding of structural engineering. Now that I've gotten that straight, I strongly disagree with your belief that that wasn't what I was getting at. In any case, I see that Tony has now essentially taken up where I left off with this.

Put simply, if it becomes clear that you aren't qualified to be making the statements you're making concerning structural engineering, don't you think that would be somewhat important? In fairness, I do believe you know a fair amount; but it seems you've now admitted that you're not a mechanical/structural engineer, even if at one point you were taking it as a major. Tony's way past the studying phase and has been a mechanical engineer, working on projects of the likes of NASA, for some time now.

Sigh. What is it with official story believers and crass language anyway?

In any case, we've already established that you don't have to prove anything to me, or anyone else. This is simply an issue of establishing credibility, but if you don't care whether you're credible or not, that's fine.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

So you don't think that I have the right to face my accuser?

because that's effectively what we're talking about here - my ability to correct your misinformation in a meaningful fashion.

So yeah, as far as I'm concerned, you start ignoring me, you stop referring to me, it's that simple.

Taking a break and cooling down is fine, I don't have a problem with that, I was (and I thought this was clear in the context of what I said) the use of the ignore list.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

This is actually an aside from what we were discussing, however, you just got done describing how I'm the most polite, however, do you not understand the implication of that fact alone?

Perhaps you should think about it for a minute.

I am simply informing you in a civil way of my beliefs concerning your knowledge. You have certainly done so in my case, but in much more insulting terms.

By your logic, telling someone they're acting like an idiot constitutes calling them an idiot.

Clearly this isn't the case, so why should anything be applied differently here than in real life - in real life, I can tell a person that their statement is idiotic, and they're unlikely to take offense - less so if they know me. Because I'm addressing their statement or action, not the person.

If nothing else, this is Parenting 101 - any parent will back me up on this, as will any number of experts with peer reviewed literature in prestigous journals. Critiscize the childs action, not the Child. Saying to a Child "You're naughty for doing this" has a vastly different impact to saying "Doing this is naughty".

There is NO DIFFERENCE.

Then clearly you don't understand the concept of argumentum adhominem, i'll have a dig through my bookmarks when I get home, i've got some good resources bookmarked, if you're genuinely interested in educating yourself.

You're wrong on this point, and I've pointed out why a dozen times now.

A spade is a spade Scott, if you can't handle your statements being classed as stupid, stop making stupid statements.

I didn't see you telling Headspin to stop calling my comments stupid or ridiculous, so you've got no reasonable grounds for this.

I disagree, they emphasized the point.
    And my statement is still true, if you re-read it, and take the time to understand it.
    There is not one single thing that you know about my education, that I haven't told you.

I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

As soon as you direct a comment at me, it becomes a 'we'.

I have no idea what you're actually going on about here.

Let's assume, for a minute, that I haven't studied structural engineering, why should my questions of your conspiracy theory be given any less weight or consideration than my questions about yours?

I notice Tony hasn't addressed the issue of assymetrical loading yet.

It might seem that way to you, yes.

That's nice - meanwhile, my job just got a little bit harder, because of structural engineers thinking they're gods gift to man-kind, and not doing their jobs properly.

Working for NASA doesn't make you right, there have been several people that i've come across who claim to have been working for NASA that have gotten things profoundly wrong on multiple levels.

What is it with Conspiracy Theorists and vulgar accusations anyway?
    Do you have any idea what i've been called for opposing the conspiracy theories about 9/11 (or the moon landing for that matter).

Where's the proof of your credibility Scott?

See, the thing you're missing is I have studied Science.
    I have studied Rheology (from at least two different perspectives).
    I have studied Physics.

You don't neccessarily have to be an expert in Structural engineering to ask the appropriate questions.

The only difference between us is that you're accepting Tony's word without question, where as on the basis of what I have learned, I have what I consider to be some rather serious questions that Tony has thus far avoided answering.

8. Tony Szamboti Registered Senior Member

I have addressed the issue of asymmetric loading and why it does not explain the observations which are inconsistent with a natural collapse. You apparently refuse to accept the answers, with no reason given, and just keep repeating that I haven't answered for effect.

Please ask your question again in a single post with no other issue and I will answer.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  9. leopold Valued Senior Member

i'm curious as to what these sparks are.
    surely there is some kind of "manifest" with the floors contents.

10. Tony Szamboti Registered Senior Member

I think it is usually called iron which glows orange yellow when molten and flows downward.

11. leopold Valued Senior Member

of course that's the only answer isn't it?
    i've seen wood ashes glow orange when blown on.

edit:
    why are you connecting the sparks with the glowing area of the building?
    there appears to be to spots, the upper, glowing orange, and the lower where the sparks seem to come from.
    these could be two separate processes

12. scott3x Banned Banned

You may want to read Steven Jones' paper "Revisiting 9/11/2001 --Applying the Scientific Method"; For those who so dislike "truther" websites, you can even download it from NIST's website now:
    http://wtc.nist.gov/media/JonesWTC911SciMethod.pdf

He starts on page 16; by page 17, he brings up 4 possibilities to explain the molten metal, the second one being the one that NIST went with. They are:
    1. Perhaps the structural steel in the buildings melted nad is flowing out.
    2. Perhaps it is molten aluminum from the aircraft that melted and is flowing out, perhaps with added organics from burning office materials.
    3. A mix of the two (above) including office materials, etc.
    4. Molten metals (e.g., molten iron) produced by highly exothermic chemical reactions (e.g., aluminothermic/thermite reactions)

He then does experiments to determine which one holds up. From his work, it's clear that the only one that holds up to testing is #4. But don't take my word for it; read it yourself.

13. Tony Szamboti Registered Senior Member

Steven Jones did an experiment with burning wood chips and other organics and tried to mix them in with molten aluminum which is silvery gray, and they did not mix and cause the aluminum to glow orange yellow. I see Scott gave more complete information on this while I was typing this reply.

Glowing wood ashes alone would not flow like what we see in the videos.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  14. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

All molten metals glow yellow-orange when heated up to about 1100-1200 °C, this is by no means a trait unique to Iron or steel.

15. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I have read it, and outlined at least two problems with his method and conclusions.

He makes no attempt to examine whether or not Babbit Metal could have been the culprit.
    He ignores the fact that Molten aluminium only appears silvery as long as its oxide layer is intact.

16. leopold Valued Senior Member

why is it clear that #4 is the only answer?
    a large pile of aluminum may have been stored in that corner on that floor.
    all you are doing here is making assumptions.
    the only thing that can be said of these sparks is they fall down.
    without some kind of "manifest" we will probably never know what this substance is.

17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

and before anybody starts objecting to this, i'll supply a link for the techique when I remember it's name, but there is a technique for remotely measuring the temperature inside a blast furnace by comparing the colour of the steel inside a blast furnace, to the colour of a filament in what essentially amounts to a light-bulb.

When the colours match, the temperatures are the same, the filament becomes essentially indistinguishable from the background light, and the temperature of the steel can be measured from a dial on the side of the device, that's calibrated according to the temperature of the filament.

18. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Right, but you haven't addressed what I said to Scott about Asymetrical loading.

What I said to Scott was something to the effect of "I worked out that (assuming all core columns are equal) that the towers could remain standing (if we follow your logic) with something like only 7 core columns remaining, however, it makes a huge difference as to where those columns are, and which columns they are in the real world.

Meaning that should all 7 colums be on one side of the building, there's no doubt in my mind that the building would simply crumble.

There's also no doubt in my mind that those columns that are (effectively) at the fulcrum point would experience load amplification such that they would probably fail before you cut back to 7 columns.

It also occurs to me that severed columns are deadweight. So as well as having to bare the load of the severed columns, the remaining intact colums also have to bare the mass of the severed columns.

And at no point have I insisted that Asymetric loading was the cause of the collapse, I do however believe it played an important role.

The other questions that I have asked you that you continually ignore are:

What was the exposure time of the camera used to film the footage you used to determine that there was no sudden jolt?
    What sort of Camera was used?
    How did you verify the frame rate?

19. Tony Szamboti Registered Senior Member

Professor MacQueen did the actual measurements and would be more familiar with these issues. I'll answer what I can.

I told you before that we used the Sauret film of the collapses and that while I don't know exactly what type of camera was used I believe that information is publicly available.

I believe the frame rate is verified by the number of individual frames taken with the total run time known.

I would have to ask him what the exact exposure time would have been.

20. scott3x Banned Banned

What are you talking about?

Again, I really don't understand where this is coming from. If you want to correct misinformation, all you have to do is start writing. If you're not interested, you can leave it at that. As long as no one's saying anything libelous about you, I don't see where the problem is.

Trippy, the only person here who can make that type of call in this forum is a moderator. However, if you leave sci forums entirely, I have a strong feeling that I and others will stop referring to you in not too much time.

To date, I haven't put anyone on the ignore list. I'd rather just generally ignore the posts of the people who I find least worthy of my time, but still have the option of seeing them now and again if I so choose.

21. scott3x Banned Banned

Definitely; as a general rule, official story supporters argue quite rudely. I liked MacGyver and Oli, but they're both gone now. GeoffP was pretty good too, but again, gone. That leaves you in the best position, flaws and all

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. leopold isn't so bad either as a general rule though.

Not sure if you forgot to snip this out (I said it first) or if you're just copy catting me, laugh

22. scott3x Banned Banned

No, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that if you say that someone is acting like an idiot, you're insulting them. Fine, not as bad as straight out calling them an idiot, but just because it's not as bad doesn't make it good.

I don't know what type of people you associate with, but as a general rule, if -I- were to tell someone that, they would indeed take offense.

And even -less- so if they're on good terms with you. Yes, I know how that works. Now me and you don't really know each other and seeing as how we're on the opposite sides of the fence concerning 9/11, I think it might be best if you refrained from such liberties...

I agree that one is certainly worse then the other, but it's also true that the term 'naughty' is certainly less offensive then 'idiotic'. If you'd put the term 'idiotic' instead of naughty, I could easily state that both would could be offensive to the child, or an adult, for that matter.

There you go with the caps again

. Anyway, not really sure what you're referring to here.

23. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Your obsession on this point is becoming humerous to me. What I can't figure out is why you think this even means anything.

First of all, I don't even really believe that there is no such thing of any articles anywhere describing measurements and amounts of steel and concrete on each floor. If there isn't, then I would assume that this is either because it's impossible to have a precise figure, or that it simply isn't relevant to anything.

From what I know about the towers, every floor was pretty much the same except for the lobbies, the sky lobby and the fact that the core columns were thicker at the bottom. So with even a general understanding of the towers, and a ballpark weight of the towers themselves (you claimed 400,000 tons), a ballpark estimate of each floor could be obtained. So why don't you get off your ass and do some research if you are correct in saying that nobody else has done this research?

It was aluminium because...

1) The bulk of the aircraft debris was piled up in that particular corner of the tower on the very same floor the molten material was ejecting.
    2) The area was visibly burning at extremely high temperatures which were in the melting point of aluminium.
    3) Had this same molten material been witnessed to coming out of another part of the tower were points 1 and 2 are moot, only then could anything else be considered.
    4) Steven Jones is a liar which means his opinions on this matter are ignored by real scientists and the media.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.