Zero Tolerance

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by superstring01, Nov 6, 2009.

1. WillNever Valued Senior Member

I have. It's called not being an authoritarian, flaming shitwheel to your memberbase. A lot of the rulebreaking around here results from rebellion against overbearing and aggressive moderators who dream of appearing macho, forceful, and cool, and who exist here only to throw their weight around by pestering people.

I can only guess as to why certain moderators act in that way... but if I use my imagination, then I can come up with several possible reasons -- all of them bad. I will leave it to the rest to speculate upon what those reasons may be.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

Sorry. It's the reality. It isn't for you to tell me that I should stop reminding people of the reality of the situation.

Here's the deal. I've never stated that Plazma is not a benevolent leader and runs around here roughshod. He runs this website better than any other forum I've been a part of.

To be certain, people's opinions matter. We do a lot to consider what people want. Sometimes we have to do what people don't want because, in fact, many members are unaware of what is needed to keep a forum running smoothly. When people act silly and bring up silly notions like "tyranny" and "fascism" and somehow think that those comparisons are apt here, I feel it well within my purview to remind them that, while Sciforums expends great labor in considering the views of its members, it is still, essentially, private property. It doesn't operate like a typical democracy and it does not have a bill of rights.

This issue is more about removing melodrama out of the equation. WillNever started harping on about tyranny, I reminded him that it was, in fact, not a government entity. You come here of your own free will. If you don't like something, then by all means, let us know. But preaching and bringing up non sequiturs gets a little old.

SFOG exists at the pleasure of the administrators of this forum. Rights which can be abolished at a whim really aren't rights.

And I acknowledge that we have an open government structure here, that's just good judgment on Plazma's part. In most cases all decisions are made by consensus of the mod team. But that doesn't mean that Plazma cannot suspend that fact where and when he feels like.

This isn't to destroy people's hopes and feelings as much as it is a wake up call regarding their foolish delusions and unwanted melodrama.

If I were you I would refer him to this post.

I've stated the same thing before, and he even posted in that thread his views. He stated something like: It's a little more complicated than a dictatorship, but essentially, he is the final authority on all things Sciforums.

If you want to obsess about this fact, go ahead. Every website is owned by someone who has the "ultimate" authority. Plazma is that authority here. I've stated before, my utmost respect for how he goes about his business here. He subscribes to the theory of "he who governs least, governs best" and I appreciate that. I do not, however, lose sight of the fact that it is he who has the ultimate authority on this website.

Really? Take a look at the threads over the past few months. We have multiple examples of people flaming eachother. Warnings are really ponitless. What does work is: clear repercussions for clear actions. I did state that a simple gaff, or lapse in judgment would be consdired as such. But blatant flaming, racism, goading, attacking really can't fall under those examples, can they?

This is just silly! What kind of "gentle reminder" would you offer to a person who says that all Muslims are evil? I'm not buying it. This is about responsibility. Act with integrity. Be responsible and you won't have to worry about a thing!

Well, gustav, now you know what will result. See, we're getting to the nubbin of your anger here. You like that you've gotten away with those things. You like that, occasionally, you can spout off with the--often times--blatantly rude and insane things you type. Sorry. Not anymore. If this pains you so much, gustav, then be extra careful NOT to flame, taunt, goad. or use hate speech in the WE&P fora. There simply is no reason for you to call a person a fowl name or to use hate speech (not that you ever used hate speech).

I'm not forcing anything. Madanthony and Hypewaders will act in a manner that best suits their management style. Though, for the most part, it seems they are in agreement. I know, for a fact, that Mad has asked for a zero tolerance rule for a while. Hype posted his thoughts on the matter in one of the stickies in the forum.

I have, gustav, you just don't realize it, are too selfish to accept it or have fooled yourself into believing that your ideas of "best for sciforums" are right. You are entitled to your opinion, but it won't change the rules, nor will it change the repercussions for breaking the rules.

~String

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I'd like to think it'll change things, but I doubt it. I've been flamed already; why complain?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

So the flame wars between, for example, PJ and Buffalo are the result of over moderation? Can you supprort that? HELL, can you support ANY PART of your premise with something even approaching facts? Do you have copies of posts where two members flamed eachother which were the result of OVER moderation rather than just their own poor behavior and judgment?

Up 'till now, all you've posted is rhetoric. Show me how, in the WE&P fora, the flame wars are caused NOT by short tempers but by Mod overactions?

The funny thing is, this isn't even that big of a shift. The only shift is this: if you attack a person, if you use racist language, if you troll, if you goad, you've got the next 24 hours off (or more if it's severe or if it's your umpteenth time).

See, this is more rhetoric. You've essentially made no point. You didn't even offer a relevant opinion, you've just acted like a spiteful child who's angry because he disagrees with something. When pressed for facts and figures, you've resorted to MORE rhetoric and MORE thinly veiled insults.

Far be it from me to expect you to support anything with references to specific posts within the WE&P fora.

~String

8. superstring01 Moderator

Well, you've missed your chance to fix that behavior if you won't report it.

We, the mods, don't have the ability to read every single post. That's why we have the "report" button.

Give it a shot.

~String

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

No. Isn't fair, anyway. Or at least not to my reckon. I appreciate the thought though.

10. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Where have I expressed any anger or spite..? You may be perceiving your own reflection in others. I've explained my statements with much calm. You're using all caps for some of your words, which can qualify as shouting on the internet. And that isn't a positive quality.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. WillNever Valued Senior Member

You also seem to have a complex about drawing parallels between yourself and fascist tyrants ruling over dictatorships. In various threads, too. Why is that..?

12. Gustav Banned Banned

....and then we have this "zero tolerance" crap
    positively freudian i think

13. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I think the site is already pretty fuckin boring, these days, for that kind of B.S

14. Gustav Banned Banned

string's maybe menopausal
    he is frothing and fuming over nothing
    routine paperwork is splattered all over the front page
    so very needy

15. superstring01 Moderator

In the world of syntax CAPS are used to convey empasis on a specific word. All caps are shouting.

Will, you used aggressive symbolism: "Fascism". That was carefully chosen to convey emotional meaning.

To the larger point, are you going to demonstrate your premise that Mods cause the flame wars and not emotions and politics, or is this a point that you're going to run from and continue avoiding by bringing up other points?

Well, if you'd like to offer me some quotes, I'd be happy to address them. But, you're still distracting and avoiding proving the point you made. Do I need to remind you of your statement?

~String

16. superstring01 Moderator

Sigh. If you can dig deep and make real point, one which addresses your poor behavior and the intolerance thereof, let me know.

~String

17. superstring01 Moderator

Then I recommend you either do something to liven it up or find a site that suits your needs.

~String

18. Gustav Banned Banned

i believe sam once recommended you stay out of sfog and sf
    i easily concur and have noticed it too
    you turn the mundane into hysterical rants

19. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Just an opinion (oh ya I forgot I'm not allowed to have those here). It's gone especially boring in the last few months. I used to find it fairly interesting not too long ago, but now that's pretty much the site arguing politics and talking about world events and you want people to be little "Angels" when doing that...good luck to ya pal.

20. WillNever Valued Senior Member

You know that something is going wrong when your moderator is suggesting *other* people leave the site if unhappy with the rules they put in place. You can always, always, ALWAYS recognize that as somebody who is least concerned with the interest of the website at large.

21. superstring01 Moderator

I'm not a mod in here, and SFOG is no stranger to heated debates. Though, this thread seems to be going well. No trolling or attacks. Just debate. That's what it's all about, Gustav.

I find it amusing, coming from one of the bigger agents Provocateur on the website, that you would make such a statement. Find a flame war, gustav, you'll often times find your name nearby.

Who said you weren't? I'm open to them. We're discussing them. It may, or may not change things. There's a good chance that James or Plazma will read this thread and alter the nature of the Zero Tolerance policy. So, in this case, it may well count for a great deal

Hmm. Nietzche, that's called a hyperbole. And an inacurate one at that. What I expect of people is for them not to: use offensive language in the description of their opponent, to act in a racist manner, to intentionally goad eachother, to call for the harm/death of other people, or to attack some member who disagrees with them.

Angels? Hardly. They can get heated all they want. They just have to obey the rules. Simple as that.

In one case, we had two members who derailed a number of threads. Finally one of those members figured out that the best way to get something done was to NOT attack back. The other member continued goading and attacking him and resulted in a long ban. In the case of another member, they made blatantly racist remarks. There just is no place in the debate for these things.

Nobody's saying that we have to use all warm a fuzzy language. Just you can't attack some one. That's all. IF this fact drives you and others away: good riddence, then. I won't miss them.

See, I see this place as being capable of actually having intelligent discussions on politics. The problem is, most of our intelligent discussion get derailed by petty, personal disputes and name calling. IT's going to have to stop. If I don't bring the change, eventually somebody else will.

I've said this before, the recipe is simple and little here has changed. All you have to do is avoid trolling, flaming, goading, or attacking and you have nothing to worry about.

If these changes upset you, then YOU are precisely the person they are aimed at, and your anger is. . . well, it's understandable, but it won't change anything.

~String

22. superstring01 Moderator

I didn't make up the rules. Plazma inferno did.

Tell me, Will, which rules are you unhappy with? Should we allow you to act in a racist manner? Should you be allowed to attack someone? Call them names? Troll in a thread? Which rule are you unhappy with?

See, when pressed for facts, you still resort to rhetoric.

~String

23. Gustav Banned Banned

no buddy
    notions of "fascist tyrannies" and "zero tolerance" has never been the default experience here.

"rules"?
    "repercussions"?

you like flaunting shit like that before the community, ja?
    you get off on shit like that.
    i mean, just look at this useless thread
    drama drama drama