Yushu 2010 earthquake never mentioned in media, why?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by draqon, May 20, 2010.

1. draqon Banned Banned

Following aftermaths of Sichuan 2008 earthquake a recent earthquake in Tibet Yushu Province 2010...claimed 1706 lives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqKu_HgQNiI

Why have they not mentioned it in the news at all? Or did I miss this?

I wish Tibetans courage and strength to survive the natural disasters and genocide from the Chinese government.

Also I fully support idea to allow refugee Tibetans to relocate to Altai region of Russia if they decide to do so. Altai has a strong buddhist infrastructure and so does Tibet and both are located high in the mountains.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

A brief review

Via National Public Radio:

National Public Radio Topics (News Clipper):

And you'll also find stories from Vermont Public Radio, Reuters, BBC, Daily Telegraph, Christian Science Monitor, New York Times, Philadelphia Inquirer ... the list goes on.

I generally contest the proposition that the media did not cover the event. If, however, you feel that coverage was not prominent enough, I would only remind that the incident originated during Tax Week in the United States, which greatly affects the priorities of the news cycle. The only reason I've presented such a short list is that I really don't feel like picking up everything you've missed. But coverage continues even this month.

Indeed, hearing about the quake every day on NPR for two weeks, I was surprised to see your thread title. I would suggest, then, that the proper answer—

—would be that yes, coverage appears to have slipped your notice. There are, of course, reasons why that might be, so I'll suggest that the particular news sources you follow might be American, commercial, and mainstream, which leads me back to the idea of Tax Week drowning out other important stories.

Notes:

I am, presently, playing around with fonts in terms of presentation. This note is in Times New Roman, which I use because it looks small on my screen, but have never really liked. The link lists above are tagged to Book Antiqua. I welcome the feedback of my neighbors, and would especially appreciate notes regarding platform availability; if any of the font tags I use revert to Lucida, or whichever default font your computer displays for Sciforums, please let me know.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

For an alternative perspective, it made prime time national news here.

TV 3
    TVNZ

As well as various news papers and news agencies:
    Stuff: Chinese president visits Yushu
    Stuff: Quake survivors sleep in cold
    Note that both of these have come through Reuters.

NZ Herald
    Note: Some people might find some of those images disturbing.

It was even followed up:
    Tibetan monks ordered out of China's quake zone
    I seem to recall that generating some degree of outrage.

It even has a Wikipedia Page:
    2010 Yushu Earthquake on Wiki

So yeah, I tend to agree with Tiassa, the coverage was there, you just missed it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.