You're President of the US, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by madanthonywayne, Dec 11, 2007.

1. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Billy is predicting an economic disaster for the US, and many others are concerned as well. We face a war in two countries, Iran developing nukes (or not), China growing in power, Russia theoretically an ally, but not really acting like one.

LOTS OF PROBLEMS.

So, if you were in charge, what would you do? Let's have a positive discussion. See what we can agree on. I'll go first.

I would:
    • Immediately end deficit spending. Cut everything until the budget is balanced. Not in five years, immediately. My plan would be that if the budget is 15% over, everything gets cut by that amount. Social security benefits, congressional pay, everything. If you want some program to not be cut, you need to cut something else even more.
    • Institute a flat tax.
    • Repeal Sarbanes-Oxley
    • Abolish all corporate taxes.
    • Absolutely no new government entitlement programs until the budget is balanced and the debt paid off.
    • Institute tort reform with loser pays, caps on awards, an end to venue shopping, and require everyone "opt in" to a class action suit before it can be filed.
    • Win in Iraq and Afganistan, doing whatever it takes to do so. To help fund this, I would pull US troops out of all countries where we are not fighting. Why do we need troops in South Korea, Japan, Germany, etc? Pull them all out.
    • Build a double border wall, increase border patrol to stop more illegals coming in.
    • Enforce huge fines against employers who knowingly hire illegals.
    • Increase the number of legal immigrants allowed. Give preference to immigrants who speak English or have skills we need.
    • Once the border is sealed, create a system by which illegals already here could achieve some kind of legitimate status.
    • Sell off federal land to pay off the national debt. (In many Western States, the federal government owns most of the land. In Nevada, for instance, the Federal Government owns 87% of all the land in the state! In Alaska, it's 96%!)
    • Allow drilling for oil anywhere we have oil.
    • Massively increase funding into alternative energy sources in a "moon shot" type program.
    What about you?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hand over power to someone that is suitable for the job

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd never, ever be President!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I would abolish all civl rights and start spying on American citizens...unless someone is already doing that.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Who? Surely none of the idiots running for office.

But, just for the sake of argument, what would you do?

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Honestly, I wouldn't have a clue. I don't know any of the stuff required, besides I try not to lie too much.
    And I'm not American

Bill Clinton seemed like a cool enough guy, with the capacity even.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

as the first atheist president, I would get all 10 commandments out of court houses. Take god out of my pledge, like it was originally. Make gay marriage legal.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I thought that already was legal ?

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

the gay marriage part? Maybe in 1 state and the other states don't recognize it.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Huh? Ok, I thought I heard otherwise.. my bad probably.

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

First off, the president doesn't have the powe to do all the things you've listed. So I'm assuming you think he'd have the ability to ramrod all that through congress. Wrong again.

So how about limiting the discussion to things he COULD actually do, OK?

The first thing I would do is completely end US participation in the conflict in the mIddle east by simply bringing all the troops home and let the people that live over there work it out as best they can or fail trying - I really don't care which.

The second would be to push for massive increases on import duties on all goods from China. That would go a long way toward supporting American business and workers.

Those two things alone would completely take care of the Federal Debt. No more war spending, increased taxes from the import duties and expanded employment.

15. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Well the current president has proven that the president can do only as much as he/she is able to get away with, which is apparently alot.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so what. :shrug: I guess this question is going to be for a limited number of people here then.
    Enmos, how much do you know about the ins and outs of American gvmt?

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I'd spend a LOT more money on education.
    I'd invest in infrastructure.
    I'd give tax incentives towards new business startups and I'd eat the rich.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Not a whole lot, why do you ask ?

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

because you can't answer this question then.

20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Amazingly, all the video Ive seen of the republican debates does NOT include any direct questions to the candidates about what they will do about the nine trillion dollar US debt!

Incredible isnt it...the dream world Americans live in.

21. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Why not ? Everybody can, no answer can be wrong..
    It's a 'What would you do'-question... :shrug:

Fine.. I will model the US government after the Dutch one.. there

22. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Bingo! And I would include Iraq and Afganistan among those. Efforts should be re-directed to finding Osama.

That is...assuming they truly dont know where he is.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

are you all following the rules???