Your weakness and strength

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Saint, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Saint Valued Senior Member

When filling in job application form,
    sometimes it asks you to write down your weakness,
    what to say?
    If your weakness will cause you less chance to get the job, would you be honest enough to tell it?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Any weaknesses I have I ask for help to overcome them with my fellow employees and management.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Say that your weakness is an obsessive attention to detail. Or that you spend more time figuring out better ways to do things instead of doing what you are told. Be creative.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rhaedas Valued Senior Member

Your weakness is your modesty.

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

My weakness...is I care too much....ok..not really...it's I drink too much.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

My strength is that I enjoy taking on new challenges.

This is also my weakness in that I occasionally find that I have undertaken more than I can reasonably handle.

Made my boss aware of a situation which he then reassigned to three others in management.

Funny thing, but the three of them couldn't accomplish the mission either, lol.

10. keith1 Guest

My strength is keyboard, my weakness...typewriter.

11. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

scheherazade got the answer right.

In life, there are no correct answers, no certainties. We are brought up to believe this, because it makes living and navigating life easier. Our brains work on an organizing paradigm.

However, in truth, any characteristic, taken to the extreme, can be seen as both a strength, and a weakness. So, what ever your greatest strength is, find the weakness in that strength, for we all need improvement, don't we? And there shall you find your "weakness." This is the way to make your weakness look like a strength, making it appear as though it is an opportunity for growth out of your greatest potential.

12. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

The Esotericist has stated the solution for you, Saint.

You do not have to use the word 'weakness' in your reply.

You can start your sentence with, "One area I am working to improve upon is ___________."

For myself, as example, I might say that I am working to improve my conciseness in written communication. This is the balance to my attention to detail. I notice many things but I need only communicate to management the most pertinent of those details, that require their attention.

In industry, time is money. Many small things that save time, save money. Fewer words, precise message, more efficient.

13. keith1 Guest

Rip up the application, and tell them they suck at interviews. Overturn a table and storm out, yelling epitaphs. Show them who's weak!
    You're there to get the job, not explore weakness.

14. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

:roflmao::tempted:

15. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

If Superman's weakness is kryptonite, I suppose mine, and yours is the Earth. Get out of this gravity well and we'd be super beings! Yes, it's Earth's fault. Gravity is bringing me down.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Being a writer, I help a lot of people compose their resumes. I usually tell people to identify a weakness (not necessarily their worst, there's no point in being too honest

) and explain what they're doing to improve.

Everyone has weaknesses and we all know it. If I'm looking for someone to hire, and he tells me what steps he is taking to overcome a weakness, this tells me a lot about him that is relevant to his job performance. It shows me that he can identify problems and that he can devise ways to fix them. It shows me that he knows that everything he does is not always perfect so it's a good idea to ask someone else to review it. It shows me that he is not too proud to admit his faults, which in turn suggests that he's probably a good team player. If he knows how to deal with his own faults, he might be able to help his teammates deal with theirs.

I've gone on job interviews in which the manager asked me what he did wrong! Now that's a person I'd like to work for. Unfortunately it didn't happen but I got a good job anyway.

BTW, to follow up on my comment in your other thread, here are the errors in your post:

When filling in a -- you really need to learn how to use a, an, the job application form, sometimes it asks you to write down to discuss/to identify/to admit your a weakness/one of your weaknesses weakness, Use a period and make this 2 sentences. what to say? What should I say? -- "what to say" is a fragment, not a complete sentence or clause. If your weakness will cause you less chance to get the job will reduce (or lower) your chances of getting the job, would you be honest enough to tell it? to admit it?

As I've said before, your biggest weakness is grammar. If this job requires a lot of communication, that's your problem. You don't sound like a university graduate. In the USA, you might be able to get a job in spite of this handicap. I have no idea how the people in New Zealand will feel about it. In France they wouldn't even let you in the door!