Your War on Drugs

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Tiassa, Nov 7, 2004.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah there is tons of teenagers drinking in england, but london is worse, tons of little kids doing all kids of drugs, crack weed. coke, pills,

but if you ban drugs you shouldent sell tobacco and booze, or caffene or a number of herbal treatments, the laws on drugs is BS lets be honest, we all know the government just outlaw drugs for money,

if you think the government places laws down its all for money power and control, nothing else, they dont care about health of the people, they elt thousands die from smoking and drinking, and bad foods, and they encourage it, and profit from it, they outlaw weed and throw dealers in jail, simply because the dealer makes money thats untaxed, and they want piece of the pie,

peace,

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

People have to be free to serve as bad examples. You have to be willing to let a few people sacrifice themselves to illustrate the wisdom of the moral standards your society hands down. Otherwise they end up being like biblical crap, nobody remembers why we're not supposed to eat pork but it must be a good idea because it was a good idea four thousand years ago when pigs ate nothing but garbage.

The circumstances that make something a bad idea can slowly change and we have to be able to monitor that. When coffee first became popular in the U.S., it was brewed much stronger than it is today. There were plenty of high-profile incidents of people behaving dangerously crazy when they were high on caffeine. There's no such thing as something "too dangerous to ever be made legal" unless you're talking at the level of nuclear weapons.

How strange that the things that really ARE too dangereous to ever be made legal are things that already are legal.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

No kidding, Frag. The really dangerous stuff is like nuclear missiles, or overpopulation, or existential misery. No one talks about that. Can you say "democracy is a failure"?

I knew you could.

Some people can take drugs, and come out okay. I don't want to pay for enforcement or treatment programs. Let them kill off the unwary and the gene pool be stronger, both for those who don't take them and those who are able to take drugs and live normally anyway.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

Can you forsee a time or circumstance where taking heroin wouldn't be a bad idea?

From what I know about heroin - yes there is.

I feel that this drug is too addictive to just let kids find out for themselves and be an example to others.

I agree but that does not mean we should give up and make everything else legal. (I don't think you were saying that)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  8. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

I should mention that I have seen the damage that heroin can do to life and family. Perhaps these experiences have clouded my thinking and made me less logical than usual.

9. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Sure, if I had a terminal illness I wouldn't hesitate to take heroin (or cocaine or whatever). There's a whole slew of opiod painkillers that are WAY gnarlier than heroin that are designed for just such a situation. When you're going to die in a few months' time and are in constant pain, heroin makes a lot of sense.

It should also be mentioned that there are lots of users of heroin (and other drugs) who go for years and years without it destroying their lives. Not that it's healthy for them, but not everybody ends up a mess. Not that I'm recommending heroin, but there do exist people who can handle it.

Well, you can still tell kids that heroin is bad even if you don't send them to jail for using it. Likewise, I'm sure you'll tell your kids about the harmful effects of alcohol and smoking. As I'm sure you've noticed, criminalizing drugs is a remarkably ineffective way to curb their use.

10. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

Yeah, smoking and drinking are much worse than most illegal drugs. You have to get up into the really hard stuff like meth and heroin to find drugs as harmful as the legal ones.