Your ship

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Kernl Sandrs, May 30, 2010.

1. Kernl Sandrs Registered Senior Member

Hello, and welcome to everyone who finds their way here! This is a thread for everyone to share their own spaceship concepts. There are a few rules to posting though, so please read through them.

When submitting a ship, include the following information to the best of your abilities.

A. Name of ship.

B. Influences on the design.
    -Perhaps your ship was influenced on Star Wars, Star Trek, StarGate, etc.

C. A description of the ship.
    -Include things like why it was built, what technologies it has, etc.

D. At least one image of the ship.

E. Any other information you want to add.

Your ship does not have to be feasible, it just has to be yours. So be proud of it!

****OR****

Alternatively, you can submit an image of a ship that you think looks cool. But if the design is not yours, please indicate that.

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kernl Sandrs Registered Senior Member

Lantean Battleship

Ok, I'll get things rolling here with some images of a ship which I absolutely love.
    It's from the TV series Stargate: Atlantis. This ship is the product of a group of humans known as Lanteans/Ancients. They have been a dead race for about 10,000 years.

This is the Aurora class battleship:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

For more images of this wonderful ship, simply go to google images and search "stargate aurora"

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Very well. This will be my modus operandi...

My ship is called the SSS* Singular-a-go-go.

The major influence on it's design would seem to be the amount of Bombay Gin I've consumed in the past couple or 3 hours.

Built by the Soopragodswillian Race, it is comprised entirely of black holes.

Its hull is a supermassive black hole.

Its engines are black holes.

Its weapons are the dread Black Hole Guns, which fire Blackholopedoes stored in magazines which are black holes.

Even the crew quarters on the Singular-a-go-go are black holes.

The quasi-semi-demi-hemi-realitastic deck matrices, bleufatronic bulkhead grids, quinta-dimensional flux-proof hatch orifices, infinitely reclining divan-lounges, and jigamathingular hex-flush waste disposal portals - among hundreds of millions of other such accoutrements, accessories, and supernumerary doo-dads - are manufactured from "compressed" black hole Pattern-O-Matic plate-bricklettes, manufactured at the Soopragodswillian's multiversally renowned PRUNT works.

The Singular-a-go-go was constructed during a brief interval of intense boredom experienced by an indeterminable number of the Soopragodswillian "individu-collective meta-minds" - which certain transdimentional philosophers have conjectured would be approximately equivalent to several eons of severe chronic flatulence, if such could be experienced by "mere mortal" beings.

Thousands of time-periods have been spent considering what the purpose of the vessel might be. The peculiar side-effect of its travels being the utter, absolute, and complete annihilation of every solar system it has chanced to visit has caused certain schools of thought to propose that it was built - "just so those sons of bitches could be the ultimate pain in the ass".

Alas, no images of the Singular-a-go-go can be provided - because, of course, one cannot see a black hole.

*Soopragodswillian Singularity Soopership

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

My idea for a ship:

For starters, someone else can name it.

The design is straightforward. It's basically a planet (a spheroid the same size as earth). It will be constructed from a collection of meteorites and other materials, or possibly a planet that's been heisted from a pre-existing planetary system.

The ship has no propulsion system of its own. The idea is simply to build a giant ball of rock, construct an Earth-like civilization/ecosystem on top of it, then send it on a meaningful one-way trajectory through the universe (a straight line that's takes it within relative close proximity to as many interesting places as possible).

The crew has three main objectives:
    1. spread humanity throughout the universe. If they pass by other inhabitable places, they drop off colonists
    2. Establish a network that relays communication/information back to the motherland (Earth).
    3. Research/exploration

8. Kernl Sandrs Registered Senior Member

So it's a cross between the Destiny from SGU and the death star?

Interesting...

9. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

No, not really. There wasn't any science fiction inspiration for this idea (not modeled after any fictional spacecraft that I've seen or read about).

It's closer to being considered an ordinary planet ....the only difference is that it doesn't orbit around the same sun over and over again, and its path has been set intentionally.

I'm thinking this would also realistically address a few of the problems with normal spacecraft..........like the lack of gravity, limited room for the crew to live, limited room for expansion, limited resources for technological development in route. The crew wouldn't be forced to "say goodbye" to a life surrounded by normal planetary life and civilization (like we have now). It would also address the issue of it sometimes taking hundred/thousands of years to reach destination (the civilization provides a constant pool of new "crew" as each generation dies).

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd try to blend in with the space that I'm traveling in. That way no one would know I'm there and I could go wherever I wanted without any problems, I hope.

Asteroid spaceship..

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And introduces a couple of new ones: where does the light come from and where does the heat come from to sustain the ecology?
    If the planet is wandering free then it isn't receiving normal sunlight...

12. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

That's a good question actually (and something I've been pondering myself). My spacecraft concept tries to stay as far away from non-existent fantasy tech as possible (example - like putting a scaled down artificial sun in orbit around the planet) --- so I think the easier method would simply be larger scale artificial lighting/heat distribution in an enclosed environment. Very similar to the concept of dome cities (or any city space with a sealed lid on top of it)......except much larger - perhaps covering the entire surface.

Since this planet is specifically designed for humans, then there would be little need to make a total reproduction of earth, so I think the need for full blown UV type lighting would be limited to where it was needed (food or tree farms and whatnot). As for heat, I'm thinking it can either be borrowed from some sort of other process that produces heat as a byproduct and/or air conditioning built into the global infrastructure.

13. Kernl Sandrs Registered Senior Member

I rather like the Asteroid idea...