Your name,

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Challenger78, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Vkothii Banned Banned

I remember when I was a lot younger thinking my name was stupid (I didn't like how it sounded and I didn't think it really suited me, but I used to think a lot of strange shit when I was a lot younger - like if I put on a cape I could fly off the shed roof like Superman, etc).

My online moniker is a transform (of sorts - I used a generic Runic alphabet would you believe); it still looks pretty silly, and the inverse transform was intentionally stupid. Names are stupid, though.

Has anyone noticed the phenomenon of "nominative determinism", how people in certain lines of work have names with a nominative connection? Like a Mr Fish working for the Min. of Ag. & Fish, a Mr Fields in some farming collective, etc and so on?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Didn't peoples last names originally start out as their occupation, and don't people usually do what their father's do? Maybe?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. tim840 Registered Senior Member

What is your real name?

Anyways, yes my real name is Tim (short for Timothy, of course) and I like my name. The only name I like as much or more is probably Andrew. I would like to be named Andrew. But I am quite happy with my name, yes.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tim840 Registered Senior Member

Carpenter, Miller, Painter, Smith... these are just a couple of the surnames that originated from occupations.

Many names, though, come from the given name of the father, ie: Anderson (son of Anders), Ericson (son of Eric), Jameson, Johnson, Hansen, Paulsen, Rasmussen, Stevenson... and the list goes on and on. there are a ton of these. The Slavic suffix "-ovich" i am pretty sure means "son of" such as Ivanovich (thats the only example I can think of).