Your name,

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Challenger78, Oct 2, 2008.

1. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Nevermind; you resolved it.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Stephen.

People call me Steve, Ste, Stevie, Stephen, my last name, a shortened version of my last name, and a nickname not related to any of my names.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

My name isn't me is like saying a tree isn't what we call it.
    Names shouldn't be translated. I understand how many came to be in the same way many words in different languages came from the same root. But there's more to a name than the word.
    People shouldn't be forced or coerced into changing their names except very few cases when the name is just impractical. Yakov shouldn't have to be Jacob.
    How do people get Bob from Robert, Jim from James, Bill from William, Ted from Edward, Cindy from Cynthia, Ginger from Virginia, etc???

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CarpetDiem Burnin' hours, season days Registered Senior Member

Very informative. Long story, but everyone simply calls me Zac, which is fine by me as I have seven names; I don't know what my prents were thinking and they won't own up anyway

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Is it wrong to be called another name for the sake of practicality ?

9. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I love the name Zeke. There was a stray cat I was going to take in and I was gonna name him Zeke, but for some reason I never saw him again.

My first name is Jessica. You can't do much with that, but I love the old Jewish version of it. Yiskah.

10. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

It's wrong to be forced or coerced into it.
    Everyone should be called what they want to be called.

11. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

i never change my name i dont ahve any need to,

when i got married i kept my maiden name, and my kids have my maiden name aswell

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

No , I'm not ashamed of my birth name because I had nothing to do with choosing it. However after repeated conflicts with the police and incarcerations, I've had to change my name a few times so that no one really knows who I am, even me at times!

13. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I hate my name because it's so common and popular. It has many stereotypes associated with it so people automatically assume I fit those stereotypes. I also used to anger myself when I did fall into some of the stereotypes, but I'm over that now. When people think of my name the usually think dumb, preppy, bitchy, cheerleader. But when I tell people my name the first thing they say is "that's such a pretty name" I don't know why they say that maybe it is a pretty name. :shrug:

14. 11parcal Saint of Cynicism Registered Senior Member

My first name's Calvin, its a fine name, hasn't done me any harm, my friends mostly call me Cal or by my last name, or they call me dumbass, whatever works, it's just a name.

I also get all the nicknames associated with being tall and hairy, you got your Bigfoot, Sasquatch type names, and for some reason a few kids started calling me Sledge hammer... :shrug:

15. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Kartik, Karthabuddy, Luci, Lucifer. Funny eh?

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Most of my friends call me 'Avatar'.
    I also don't think of my name as me. But it's an ok name, nothing wrong with it.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats interesting, I believe there is an Arabic name Iscah

18. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

My first name is Vienna, my complete name is Vienna Aurora Dufresne Bousquet.
    My father name is Jacques Bongrand. So my short name is Vienna Bongrand.

Oh wait. That is all the character in my French course book

19. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Nothing wrong with Sledgehammer.

I have been known at various times in my life as...Cat, Jessie Cat, Trinity (I went through a phase of doing my hair like Carrie Anne Moss. Fuck, I got through soooo much hair gel. My hair was not designed to lie flat against the skull...), Damage(because I spill and break things a lot), some others I can't recall..

20. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I never get cool nicknames like that. All of my nicknames are different versions of my own name or insults my brother came up with.

21. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

I also get called Brillo by most of my friends, which is supposedly Latin for "bright", although that is not why I'm called it.

Also I get called a lot of variations on my last name and variations on shortened versions of my last name by a few people. Jebbo being one of them.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  22. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I have a common name. So when I go out to restaurants I use another name. I use the name Maddog. So if you are ever in a restaurant and hear them call for Maddog, it is moi.

23. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

If you don't like your name, I'm confident you can change it legally anywhere inthe US. In some states you may need to claim you're going into show biz or some BS.