Your name-and why!

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Pollux V, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Futurist Banned Banned

LIM YING PIO

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

My and a friend were board in chemistry class and we decided to make our own elements. His was Dookie mine was Grasshopper. Our chem teacher flirts with the girls especially one, we counted 15 times and quoted them...LOL, it was so funny we showed it to the girl and she got angry, but we're still friends, LOL. I just added zz's and an "a" to be a bit different. Plus it works out that I can jump pretty high and cut grass for a job

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

me

COOL

Our Living Language The usage of cool as a general positive epithet or interjection has been part and parcel of English slang since World War II, and has even been borrowed into other languages, such as French and German. Originally this sense is a development from a Black English usage meaning “excellent, superlative,” first recorded in written English in the early 1930s. Jazz musicians who used the term are responsible for its popularization during the 1940s. As a slang word expressing generally positive sentiment, it has stayed current (and cool) far longer than most such words. One of the main characteristics of slang is the continual renewal of its vocabulary and storehouse of expressions: in order for slang to stay slangy, it has to have a feeling of novelty. Slang expressions meaning the same thing as cool, like bully, capital, hot, groovy, hep, crazy, nervous, far-out, rad, and tubular have for the most part not had the staying power or continued universal appeal of cool. In general there is no intrinsic reason why one word stays alive and others get consigned to the scrapheap of linguistic history; slang terms are like fashion designs, constantly changing and never “in” for long. The jury is still out on how long newer expressions of approval such as def and phat will survive.

CALIDITTA

The familiar knowledge of any art or science, united with readiness and dexterity in execution or performance, or in the application of the art or science to practical purposes; power to discern and execute; ability to perceive and perform; expertness; aptitude. SKILL.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Counsler- At one point I wanted to be a counselor. Note: Yes I know its misspelled.

Coffee- I LOVE coffee(plain, black), not that mocha, capachino crap.

8. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Clockwood= Cody-ody+Lockwood
    Its my name tweaked a bit.

American= I am peeved about all tha anti-american sentiment and I wish to stop that.

9. yumyum The All Knowing.. I think Registered Senior Member

yumyum well it was an old diablo handle.

10. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

well..because, the pumpkins in my world aren't orange, but, rather flesh-colored.

sidenote....i'm thinking of changing my user name...we'll see...afterall.. i do have to get over this Billy Corgan obsession of mine...

11. xandrique moniqueface Registered Senior Member

I've really liked the name Alexandria but it sounds a lot better, to me, if it's just Xandria (which means protector of Man) and my real first name is Monique so I just kind of put them together to form XANDRIQUE...
    also because the nick Xandria was taken on Dalnet back in 2000, I had to be more creative.

12. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Well, I knew Nebula was a song by Incubus, so I looked up the word. It had a cool meaning, so I took it! And later I found pictures of nebulae and found that they are very beautiful, so I thought if I named myself after one, I could be that beautiful too!

But, I'm not. I'll keep the name anyway though

13. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Captain_Crunch

My handle was inspired by the notorious first ever 'hacker' Captain Crunch - aka John T Draper. The underscore makes a world of difference.

14. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

15. Cruelangel Registered Member

Well, I'm into anime.. and I derived Cruelangel from 'Zankoku na tenshi no thesis'.. Which translates into 'Cruel angel's thesis'.
    It's the opening theme for Neon Genesis Evangellion, which is controversial, based on it's views on religion..
    I also got the idea from 'Angel Sanctuary' where an angel is punished for loving God.. she is re-incarnated onto earth..
    and is destined to suffer through-out all her lives, and die a painful death each time..

16. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

fir- droi -rich (pronounced fur- droy -rik)roughly translates in Ancient Celtic to "The Dark Druid" a character in Irish mythology.

17. reformedtopunk got punk? Registered Senior Member

Reformedtopunk is my screen name because punk rock music saved me from not only a REALLY lame time in my life but also my tastes changed radically from really bad hardcore/heavy metal music to a more melodic form of music, punk rock. i think it was a really good direction for me to take.

18. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

That is truth, Ultimately!

19. Prosoothus Registered Senior Member

When I first came to sciforums, I was known as Joeblow9313. Then someone came to sciforums calling himself joeblow. In order to avoid confusion I then changed my alias to Prosoothus.

Sooth means truth in Old English. Pro means "leaning towards" or "before". I then added "us" at the end to make it sound like an old Roman name.

Prosoothus would mean someone leaning towards the truth, or someone knowing the truth before others.

Tom

20. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Wes Morris *shakes hand vigorously and gives cheezy needy business guy kind of smile* - darned glad to meet you.

21. Distortion melted down Registered Senior Member

I would have loved to be Peter - out of the hundreds upon hundreds of books I've read in my life, his character is definitely the closest to mine. I'd like to think I'm about as smart, too.

I just don't like imitating - I don't find using a name of someone famous or brilliant to be that cool, infact, I'd hate the thought of trying to imitate anyone. Almost like I'd like to think that I might be recognized like that sooner rather than later and take something original so that other people can copy it, but not quite..

The reason I still use 'Distortion' is out of habit - it's a fairly long story as to 'why', and it goes back quite a few years - but basically it's a reference to my playing style of a game that I was world champion at, and to a lesser extent a reference to my personality.

And it sounds cool.

Other ones I've used are 'I'm Missing' 'Elysium' 'Sweeet' 'Wicked' 'Shivers' and a bunch of others.

I think nicknames are cool - and I don't think anonymity has anything to do with it. It's not as if using your real name for your user name has a serious impact on your anonymity - you might as well be Joe Schmoe. If you post a thousand posts, a specific location, and a picture on top of that, then it might make a difference.

Everyone enjoys having an 'alias' and being anomymous sometimes - what does your name mean?

22. storni topological frog Registered Senior Member

Storni

I like poetry, so I came across with her name and I liked the poems of this admirable Argentinian. Thus my nickname.

I like the smoothness of the pronunciation of her name in English, its strenght in Spanish and, generally, because it sounds, I hope, honestly sweet

but not silly.

A bit about her:
    (http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/storni.html)

Alfonsina Storni's life serves as a reflection to the problems that may have faced any intellectual woman during the early to mid 20th century in a male dominated society. Storni introduced pertinent issues well before the Women's Liberation Movement even began to impact society.

Storni spoke on the behalf of many women by suggesting that relationships between men and women be intellectual and more balanced. She urged the government to grant women the vote and wrote articles and essays on women's rights.

And a little poem:

I am going to sleep, dear nurse, lay me
    down
    Put a lamp at my
    head;
    a constellation; whichever one you
    like;
    they're all good; lower the flame a little.

-storni

23. Qiothus II Majikal Man Registered Senior Member

Going back to the begining of the thread, Deus Ex Machina means God from machine. It was used in early theatre to solve all problems; there would be a situation that the main character could not get out of, and then like majik, a superior being or idea would be presented to clear up any misunderstandings and resolve any conflicts. The ex machina part came from a little machine they used to lower the god-like figure down to the stage.

My name is Qiothus II-
    Qi-(pronounced key) is just because I think that the letter Q is underused and so often requires a U to follow in order to produce a kwa- sound. I chose to use it in it's ki form because it does not need a U after it. Plus, I find it humorous that I am using Q at all because it is one of the superfluous letters of the alphabet. (I love irony)

Othus- comes from greek names. Like Aeolus, Hephaestus, Morpheus, Percius, etc. And there is a 'th' in the middle of my real name. I also intend to name my firstborn son Qiothus (should I have a son)

II-There was no Qiothus I but, the majik number is 2. No matter how you look at it, 2 is a perfect number. So is 7, but 7 is also the greatest number, in that it is God's number. I am not fortunate enough to bare God's number, but I have no problem with that because I am not worthy of it.