YOUR most influential writers.

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by parmalee, Sep 13, 2009.

1. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Which writers and/or texts have been most influential and informative upon the way you think, act, perceive, etc.? Or, which echo the preceding. Any genre--science, philosophy, religion, literature, poetry, political theory, etc.

And why? How?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

George Orwell. Karl Marx. Charles Darwin. Happeh.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Hmmm. Interesting...

This thread's going nowhere, so I'll nudge it with my contribution:

Hui-neng. R.M. Rilke. Ludwig Wittgenstein (post-Tractatus). Franz Kafka. Nico. And if I've gotta throw in a more overtly political one, Pierre Joseph Proudhon.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

God/Holey Bible

Ive read very little of the Holey Bible but its prolly been the mos influencial thang ive read... an it was mos informative that "beleifs" are gobble-goop.!!!

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Of course. His writing on the relation between humans and pyramids was inspiring. He had me, of course, at "Scientists R Stoopid".

9. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Why 'post-Tractatus'? It was rather thorough. And what do you consider post-Tractatus? His only work outside of that was entitled 'Philosophical Investigations', and it wasn't even finished...

10. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

But he did write a fair amount afterwards, much of it incomplete and published posthumously--and a lot of it not even remotely in the same vein (criticism, etc.). I guess I should have just said the whole (just slightly favoring the later) as it's a little odd without the other. It's like saying I only like Rimbaud's writing after he went to Ethiopia--you know, the little grocery lists and lists of items he would like his mother to send and such. Ahhh--I'll not edit--reviewing my original question, I think the answer is there.

11. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

My most influential writers...hmmm...I wish I could say that I had a whole long list of intellectual names, but that's a big negative. Seeing as I love to write fiction, horror/fantasy fiction, then my fave authors are not considered "high-brow".

L.J. Smith was ultimately my biggest influence as a young girl when it came to horror/fantasy.

Laurell K. Hamilton
    Alice Borchardt
    Kim Harrison
    Charlain Harris
    Joe Graham
    Annette Curtis Clause
    Emily Dickinson
    Elizabeth Bishop
    Anne Carson
    Charlotte Bronte
    Virginia Woolf
    Dylan Thomas
    Anne Rice

I could go on forever.

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I add...shudder Richard Dawkins.

He's still an arse, of course. Yet, the selfish gene was a useful paradigm. Also Lynch, Roff.

13. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

More horror please. Do you like Thomas Ligotti? I love all the canonical ones--Poe, Lovecraft, Stoker, etc.--but i can't seem to get into much contemporary besides Ligotti, Barker, another English guy whose name is escaping me--some names, please?

14. Gustav Banned Banned

tiassa
    god knows why tho
    it just is

15. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I guess I was more intending influential in an emotional, visceral (for want of a better term), and practical way--do you feel Dawkins does that for you? I can certainly see Marx and Orwell, and even Happeh, heh, I guess.

16. Gustav Banned Banned

i know
    he provides a synthesis
    puts shit in perspective

17. Gustav Banned Banned

parmalee
    how the fuck would you know happeh?

18. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

In this respect I'd have to say tuberculatious.

19. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I've got google and the search function too.

20. Gustav Banned Banned

pardon
    lemme go eyeball the leper then

21. jessiej920 Shake them dice and roll 'em Valued Senior Member

Poe and Lovecraft are amazing. I will have to check out Ligotti. I have to say I'm a sucker for contemporary horror/fantasy fiction

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

, but it depresses me because it makes me realize that the stories I have been working on for 10 years are no longer unique.

Let's see...more names...I will have to peruse my library. I have to say contemporary fiction has been the most influential for me. I really like Octavia Butler, The Parable of the Sower is a great book and Phillip K. Dick is another author who I think has tremendous skill. These authors are not strictly horror, but their subjects are horrifying, if that makes sense. I will think of more and let you know

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Either that, or I'm a sock.

23. Gustav Banned Banned

nice
    very witty