your life has purpose? tell me about it

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Search & Destroy, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

ok so i see you have a purpose
    But when you die, so does the purpose, unless it comes from some higher-level system than yourself no? And which system do you choose, society? Why not the galaxy or God. That's why it is important that you're deaf.

Isn't this whole purpose-seeking for ourselves flawed any which way?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

The purpose of my life in particular.....

What I feel compelled to do is to create self-sustainable eco-friendly communities accross the planet. It appears to me that this is the best strategy to eliminate world poverty, preserve the environment and create world peace.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Here is some insight I took from Richard Dawkins.

A long time ago, the best thinkers did not understand gravity, and now children do.

We look at a solid object and think it's solid. But at an atomic level it is mostly empty space. So there are two ways to look at the object, as empty space or solid space. Every human sees solid space. Because we have evolved on this planet, on this scale, so that it would only be useful to see it as solid.

Now in the same thought of shifting levels of perception, what is a monkeys model of the world? Mostly 3-d looking for branches, a moles? underground, a water insect? etc. A humans? social. An economists best model of humans is looking at us as goal-seeking purposeful individuals. And I think most of us have that world-model too.

But shift away from our biologically set was of seeing things, and realize from another level you have a different purpose.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pharaohmoan The illusion is you, let go. Registered Senior Member

Sorry i don't agree with you here. I happen to rememeber my past lives and normally make of point of reminding myself that my spirit lives on. Whether I would come back as a human again is doubtful, but I have learnt a lot about approaching 'the zone' by which I mean the energy and consciouness that exists out there.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

My purpose is to make what I can better. Through my own actions and through the actions of my children (by how I have raised them).
    My purpose is to be the nicest human I can be.

9. granpa Registered Senior Member

the purpose of life is to move toward our goals.

the question is do people ever do anything else? do people willfully act self destructively by moving away from their goals?

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

ummm, wouldn't a drug addicts goal be to score more drugs? Its destructive, but it is a goal.

11. granpa Registered Senior Member

what if the drug addict doesnt want to do it but feels unable to control himself?

for that matter does any drug addict really want to do it or do they just think they want it?

12. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

You know, maybe this is just nihilism or buddhism.

I say purpose doesn't really exist, unless you put your faith in having it assigned to you by a higher form of life.

You can give yourself purpose, a goal or vision of the future. And in that sense purpose exists. But to say it is not subject to change, or as a trick to avoid death is foolish.

I'm gonna let this thread die

13. granpa Registered Senior Member

isnt that exactly what i just addressed. the question is not whether it changes or whether it is given from above but rather whether we ourselves are capable of going against our own goals. please reread my post below.