Your help with an experiment please.

Discussion in 'History' started by nicolaou, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Blazin_billy Registered Senior Member

July 20th 1969. The mark we made on the moon.

Its controversial, but if we really did land on the moon, then it is defiently the most important date. It was our next reach, and it was a big one. The average person doesn't realize the significance of reaching the peice of rock in no way connected the the earth. It landmarks end of the next step of exploration. I doubt there now is a next step.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

From 1877 to 1887, Pasteur employed these fundamentals of microbiology in the battle against infectious diseases.

"I beseech you to take interest in these sacred domains so expressively called laboratories. Ask that there be more and that they be adorned for these are the temples of the future, wealth and well-being. It is here that humanity will grow, strengthen and improve. Here, humanity will learn to read progress and individual harmony in the works of nature, while humanity's own works are all too often those of barbarism, fanaticism and destruction." -- Louis Pasteur

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fireguy_31 mors ante servitium Registered Senior Member

What 'is' the most important date? Today.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I suppose the most important day in that timespan was the first day of the 19nt century. Because without it, there could be no second day or a third and no today.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Blazin_billy Registered Senior Member

Brilliant Fireguy_31 and Dreamwalker. Very clever answers!

9. Thersites Registered Senior Member

January !st 1801. Without it the rest of the 19th and 2oth centuries couldn't have happened.

10. vslayer Registered Senior Member

september 12 2001(yes it was the 12th here) when the opressed beacme the oppressors

11. vslayer Registered Senior Member

about time those americans got waht they deserved

12. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Get off my cloud

I posted that on the 1st page.

13. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

The day Sputnik 1 was launched. Dunno the date. It marked humankind's ascent into space, and showed us that we were then capable of getting off our dirt ball and into the vastness of space.

It started the international "Space Race" to the moon . . . which the US won. I think Sputnik 1 was also the first manmade object to get into space. Correct me if I'm wrong . . .

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

So, when are we going to hear what this thread is supposed to prove?

15. nicolaou Registered Senior Member

As stated on the first page, Saturday 26th.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Ok. I'll await that day with baited breath. Pass the fish.

17. mustafhakofi I sa'id so Registered Senior Member

april 1st 1920
    grandmas birthday

18. Cob Nut Registered Member

Now that's a question and a half ...

I never can remember the date, but I think the Zimmermann Telegram must have a pretty good claim to that distinction. Without it, America might well have continued to pursue its isolationist policies and leave the Europeans to fight among themselves, in which case the collapse of the Russian army would probably have been swiftly followed by the collapse of the French and British armies. Ans the 20th century would then have taken a VERY different course.

But then again, that is to ignore the whole of the 19th century. And there are a lot of very important, non-military events to be considered there. (The military ones are pretty boring: Britain goes to war ... wins; goes to war again ... wins; goes to war again ... wins; oh yes, and has her Canadian colony invaded so burns down the American capital, finally losing to the Americans in a battle somewhere in the South fought two weeks after the peace treaty was signed, so it doesn't really count 'cos wars aren't won and lost in extra time).

Difficult to single out any single one, though, isn't it?

So on reflection, I think I'll be controversial. Not the moonshot - that has actually been a big non-event so far as the course of history is concerned. It happened, a bit like Donald Campbell breakign the world water speed record. It caused a bit of a flap at the time but that is all.

No - there was a day in 1922 when Mallory and Irvine reached the summit of Everest, never to return. Now THAT was a momentous day ...

... only joking. I think I'll stick with the Zimmermann Telegram.

19. greywolf The Hellbound Hellhound. AWOOO Registered Senior Member

I would have to go with today because without today there is no tomorrow!

20. Cob Nut Registered Member

Aha!

But tomorrow isn't history.

Yet.

21. Epox to strive..to seek...to find Registered Senior Member

1936, Konrad Zuse comes up with the first freely programmable computer.

And post-it notes too!

22. greywolf The Hellbound Hellhound. AWOOO Registered Senior Member

-cob-
    My answer was today not tomorrow but none the less your point is well taken so i'ld like to change my answer from today to yesterday because if there were no yesterday then we wouldnt be answering this question today!

23. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

what about the day before yesterday, it keeps going on and on.