Your First Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Captain_Crunch, Dec 30, 2002.

?

Mine was a

1. Commadore 64

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Spectrum

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. A Nintendo (please specify)

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. Sega (please specify)

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. P.C (please specify)

10 vote(s)
    40.0%
  6. Lap top (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. other! (again, please specify)

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bachus Registered Senior Member

I did that in basic i believe just typing a damn code from a book and hoping/praying you didn't make a damn typo somewhere

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

I got my Commadore out the closet and set it up and started playing it, the game i chose to play was Dizzy Prince of the YolkFolk. The one thing that i found annoying (apart from the sound) was that...you couldnt save it! Also, no continues were granted. I did complete it tho, it took 2 hours. lol

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

You have to give a golden nugget to the ferryman. On the boat you have to walk in the direction that the boat is going in or you'll far in the water and die.
    heheh
    the basic simplicity of some the games is attractive in itself.

8. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The first console I ever had, played only pong, the table tennis game. If you left it on too long it would burn the phosphor on the tv screen. Wound up that you could see it even when the tv was playing and not the game. Oh ya, it was strickly black and white.

9. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

THis is going to sound awful... My first computer was a 486, I had managed to run Windows 95 on it. (really really slow...)

10. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

first game system was NES followed by a sega genesis a few years later. my first desktop was a pentium one with windows 95 on it

11. Ghost Registered Member

My first computer was a 8088, with dos installed on it. I still have it and it works.

12. thed IT Gopher Registered Senior Member

13. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Thed, that is a really good link!

14. kaduseus melencolia I Registered Senior Member

VIC-20
    who needs sprites when you've got multicolor mode.

Hey Dylan you out there!!!!

15. IBM thinkpad laptop
    -8 MB ram
    -200 MB drive space
    -win 3.1
    -yea jezzball!!!

16. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

T.I. 99 4/A

Made by Texas Instraments, it Had several input options. Most common was a solid state cartridge, and it could do data audio cassettes and disks, too. Some games, like Tunnels of Doom(Loved it!) needed the cartridge and the cassette. The greatest thing was when we got a speech synthesizer that worked with some games.

We have two. both still work, though one has a broken ENTER key, and none of the joysticks work anymore.

Just about all of those early computers would let you program in basic, right? I know my brothers did.

17. orbie Registered Senior Member

The power house of all time: The Apple IIGS. That baby rocked. I had a ton of sweet games for it. And watch out when you select fast mode instead of normal from the control panel, things go crazy

It's a shame we gave it away to a womens shelter

18. SeanT Registered Member

ATARI 400.
    Which was the same as the ATARI 800 except instead of a keyboard with buttons that go up and down it was like a cashregister at a McDonalds.
    I thought I was the shit.

19. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I think that is what we had first too. I wanted a NES but my parents convinced me with the argument that you couldn't write a letter on a NES.

In the shop, I started to point out which games I wanted for our new computer on a Nintendo poster. I probably already knew about incompatibility, but it was a last desperate attempt.

On this computer, I had games such as "Alley Cat", "Shogun", "Buzz", "Paratrooper", "Janitor Joe" and "Digger".

Sometimes some games wouldn't work. There was no apparent reason for it. Sometimes the computer would brake down, and I now believe it was because of those games.

I also typed GW BASIC programs into that computer which I got from a book. The concept of the command "dim" was too complicated, I never got my head around it.

In my own programs, I also skipped all the commands that were labeled as "dangerous" by my book, cause the computer was also used by my parents.

My greatest achievement ever in computer programming was done by interpreting some code I read and with that basic material, I made a drawing program.

It was pretty advanced, it even had animation in it

The main commands were locate, input, print, inkey$ and cls. The trick (which I hadn't thought of myself) was to replace the coordinates in the locate command by x and y and then adjusting these values when the user entered commands.

10 k$=inkey$
    20 if k$="u" then x=x-1; goto 100
    30 goto 10
    100 locate (x,y); print "*character you chose to draw with*"
    200 goto 10

the animation part was done by pagecopy and then switching between two screens

20. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

Well, the Commadore 64 had the most advanced soundcard of the times. Also, you could get a cartrage that plugged into the back that had extra memory in it, sorta like how Starfox for the SNES had a mem chip in it.
    Also, some of my cassettes didnt work for no apparent reason either, it would take like 5mins to load then nothing happened so u had to choose another game. I liked how you could copy cassettes! it was great.

21. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

You know there was an old Castle Wolfenstien game for the older computers? It was a top view.

22. Algiz Registered Member

mine .. which i still have... was an Emerson. It had dos... a dos shell.. and two games pre-installed:
    Duke Nukem and Kill Sadam, which was a sadistic little game/propganda effort which let you shoot of patriot missiles at the portrait of the dictator.

23. Aries Registered Member

mine was the first Sega to be relaesed. Not genesis, it was a japanese title. It sucked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.