your favourite quote's

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by mustafhakofi, Aug 3, 2004.

1. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Can you put faeces back in the..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

It is better to be hit by a car than by a woman.

spuriousmonkey

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

If you have a 50% chance of getting something right or wrong there is a 99% chance you will get it wrong.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

To be truly selfish one needs a degree of self-esteem. The self-despisers are less intent on their own increase than on the diminution of others. Where self-esteem is unattainable, envy takes the place of greed.
    -

8. Roman Banned Banned

"Omit needless words. Omit needless words."

--Strunk

9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

"If it isn't ideal, it isn't real."
    -cs

10. daphneeee Registered Senior Member

An eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind.-Mahatma Ghandi-

If you don't have the capacity to change yourself and your attitudes, then nothing around
    you can be changed.

I am painfully conscious of my imperfections, and therein lies all the strength I posses,
    because it is a rare thing for a man to know his own limitations~Mahatma Ghandi~

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense." - Chapman Cohen

Of all possible sexual perversions, religion is the only one to have ever been scientifically systematized.

A woman's asking for equality in the church would be comparable to a black person's demanding equality in the Ku Klux Klan.~Mary Daly~

[Disapproval of homosexuality cannot justify] invading the houses, hearts and minds of citizens who choose to live their lives differently~Harry A. Blackmun~

"Women who strive to be equal to men lack ambition."

If it is true that men are better than women because they are stronger, why aren't our sumo wrestlers in the government? ~Kishida Toshiko, 19th century Japanese feminist ~

"There is no occasion for women to consider themselves subordinate or inferior to men… Woman is the companion of man, gifted with equal mental capacity… If by strength is meant moral power, then woman is immeasurably man's superior. If nonviolence is the law of our being, the future is with women."~Mahatma Ghandi~

It always seemed to me a bit pointless to disapprove of homosexuality. It's like disapproving of rain. ~Francis Maude

Pronouns make it hard to keep our sexual orientation a secret when our co-workers ask us about our weekend. "I had a great time with... them." Great! Now they don't think you're queer - just a big slut! ~Judy Carter

The next time someone asks you, "Hey, howdja get to be a homosexual anyway?" tell them, "Homosexuals are chosen first on talent, then interview... then the swimsuit and evening gown competition pretty much gets rid of the rest of them." ~Karen Williams

If God had wanted me otherwise, He would have created me otherwise. ~Johann von Goethe

If only closed minds came with closed mouths.

O Lord, help me not to despise or oppose what I do not understand. ~William Penn~

God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise. 1 Cor 1:27

Just a few nice quotes i found on the internet.

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

``To be successful, grow to the point where one completely forgets himself; that is, to lose himself in a great cause.'' - Booker T. Washington, American educator (1856-1915).

As in a pile of rubbish
    cast by the side of a highway
    a lotus might grow
    clean-smelling
    pleasing the heart,
    so in the midst of the rubbish-like,
    people run-of-the-mill & blind,
    there dazzles with discernment
    the disciple of the Rightly
    Self Awakened One.
    - Dhammapada, 4, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. - Beliefnet

``History is the propaganda of the victors.'' - Ernst Toller, German poet and dramatist (1893-1939).

"There is a granite mountain so high that a raven can barely fly over it without touching it. In its beak, the raven has a scarf. Once every thousand years, it flies over the mountain, the very tips of the fringes rubbing against the granite. When the entire mountain has been ground into dust, that is one moment in eternity."
    So say the Hindus.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr Seuss

"You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists" - Abbie Hoffman

"Nature can satisfy all of our needs but none of our greeds." - Ghandi

"You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists" - Abbie Hoffman

"Today's woman puts on wigs, fake eyelashes, false nails, sixteen pounds of make-up/shadows/blushes/creams, living bras, various pads that would make a linebacker envious, has implants and assorted other surgeries, then complains that she cannot find a 'real' man" - Maynard James Keenan

"Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house." - Rod Stewart

"Clinton lied. A man might forget where he parks or where he lives, but he never forgets oral sex, no matter how bad it is." - Barbara Bush (Former US First Lady)

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." - Jack Nicholson

"Women might be able to fake orgasms. But men can fake whole relationships." - Sharon Stone

"Imagine: stalking elk past department store windows and stinking racks of beautiful rotting dresses and tuxedos on hangers. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life, and you'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. Like Jack and the Beanstalk, you'll climb up through the dripping forest canopy and the air will be so clean you'll see tiny figures pounding corn and laying strips of venison to dry in the empty car pool lane of an abandoned superhighway stretching eight-lanes and August-hot for a thousand miles. You'll hunt elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center, and dig clams next to the skeleton of the Space Needle leaning at a forty-five degree angle. We'll paint the skyscrapers with huge totem faces and goblin tikis, and every evening what's left of mankind will retreat to empty zoos and lock itself in cages as protection against bears and big cats and wolves that pace and watch us from outside the cage bars at night." - Tyler Durden

"Truth is a pathless land." - J. Krishnamurti

"It is truth that frees, not your effort to be free." - J. Krishnamurti

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best knows achievement and who at the worst if he fails at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt- From a speech given in Paris at the Sorbonne in 1910:

"Creatures are not born with desires unless satisfaction for these desires exists. A baby feels hunger; well, there is a such thing as food. A duckling wants to swim; well, there is a such thing as water. Men feel sexual desire; well, there is a such thing as sex. If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." - C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, Bk. III, chap. 10, "Hope"

"To rest one's case on faith means to concede that reason is on the side of one's enemies- that one has no rational arguments to offer." -Ayn Rand

"I've been to places in this country which were deeply human, deeply rooted and meaningful. But most of it is a surface of oil on a puddle, shiny and pretty and ultimately shallow.
    The lack of real cultural identity leads to the substitution of nationalism for cultural identity."
    -Xev -American Philosopher

12. daphneeee Registered Senior Member

hm...interesting...misogyny

13. the preacher fur is loose 666 Registered Senior Member

“Every organized patriarchal religion works overtime to contribute its own brand of misogyny” (Robin Morgan).
    hello dapneee, I welcome a fellow lesbian.

14. daphneeee Registered Senior Member

Wow...that felt strange. um..preacher actually..iam not a lesbian...at least not just yet. I wish i am sometimes, but that is what most women wish most of the times

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I'm curious why you made that assumption.

16. Roman Banned Banned

"Please shut up."

--Doin the Cockroach,
    Modest Mouse.

It's the way it's shouts it that makes it so good, yet still understated. An anthem for a generation. Shut up.

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I was just toying with my email signature quotes in order to make a specific point with one of them and this topic came to mind. There's not many of them, so without further ado:
    • "Bartender, what is wrong with me? Why am I so out of breath?" The captain said: "Excuse me, ma'am. This species has amused itself to death." (Roger Waters)

• "Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty." (Emma Goldman)

• "Sisyphus, stay! While I get you a bigger goddamn rock to push up the hill!" (Ray Bradbury)

• "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." (Albert Camus)

• I have seen my Lord with the eye of my heart, and I said: ‘Who are You?’ He said: ‘You.’ (Mansur al-Hallaj)

• "The Universe is in equilibrium; therefore He that is without it, though his force be but a feather, can overturn the Universe." (Perdurabo, Psalm 20)

• "A red rose absorbs all colors but red; red is therefore the one colour that it is not." (Perdurabo, Psalm 40)

• "Now and again Travellers cross the desert; they come from the Great Sea, and to the Great Sea they go. As they go they spill water; one day they will irrigate the desert, till it flower." (Perdurabo, Psalm 42)

18. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

" I wish you all Best of Awareness instead of luck. "

19. oscar confusoid Registered Senior Member

I'm more into the lighter side of things right now...no deep quotes or anything...yes I'm all jaded by now, no more blah blah blah...anyhoo...

Confucius says: "War do not determine who is right, but who is left"

"I'm not a religous person. Somebody once handed me a dead fish. I chuckled" - Anonymous

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    - Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)

21. sly1 Heartless Registered Senior Member

Life is like a magic trick...once you have figured it out....it sucks

self made

22. Nuttyfish Guest

Without their heads, their powerless!

It's not the winning that counts. It's about flailing your opponent to within an inch of his life, and the winning

23. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

Ignorance is the curse of God, Knowledge the wing wherewith we fly to heaven. --Shak