your favourite English/mothertongue word

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by wanneszinnig, Oct 8, 2007.

1. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

what is your favorite word:

* in English
    * in your mothertongue and what does it mean?

My favourite selection:

* stocking: It's not a kinky thing..I just like the way it is pronounced
    * goesting: (pronounce it as gusting with a soft 'g') it is hard to translate but it is dirrived from the spanish word 'me gusto'...let say it means 'desire'...You use it when after a hard day of working you realy want a glass of beer. that kind of feeling

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

epiphany is my favorite

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Lucubration.

It means to study at night by lamp or candlelight.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I assume that's Dutch. Most Americans don't know what a "soft G" is in Dutch. It's the same as a soft G or a J in Spanish general or Juan, the CH in German bach, or the KH in Russian Mikhail. Dutch puts an H after a G to make it a "hard G." The correct pronunciation of the name Van Gogh is actually van khog.
    Not quite right. First off, a grammatical error, it's Me gusta. (More on that in a moment.) The phrase is simply translated as "I like." However, the subject and verb are reversed, since gustar means "to please." Me gusta esta canción literally means "this song pleases me," but since we don't speak that way in English we render it as "I like this song." Therefore, to put gustar in the first person and say (yo) me gusto is to say "I please myself," or in our English way of speaking, "I like myself."

"To like" is not an English verb that translates easily. The French say s'il vous plait, literally "if it pleases you." Germans say "ich habe es gern," which is really a difficult equivalent, with a literal meaning something like "I have it endeared."
    What a coincidence. Gusto is also a noun often heard in the ritual expression (con) mucho gusto, as in mucho gusto de conocerle a usted, "(It is a) great pleasure to meet you." We use the word in American English slang, anglicized with a short U sound. Many years ago a beer commercial admonished us, "You only go around once in life, so grab all the gusto you can."

Beer: the universal language.

9. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Oh comon, it's gotta be fuck, that one will outlast all the rest. Frankly nothing compares to English swears.

I favor my mother's side - Norwegian. Favorite word - "Lagom". No English equivalent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagom

I was told it was part of the general Danish/Norway philosophy of "Jante Law" - Do not think you are so special.

10. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

Fragle...I understand you wanna show you speak and understand a lot of languages...but Van Gogh is deffenatly not pronounced with a 'k' somewhere. it is even a softer sound than the 'j' in Juan'. To pronounce a Dutch 'g' you have to put the tip of your tongue to the tip of your 'underteeth' and puch a little air trough your mounth.

And when you say " s'il vous plait' in French you are asking something. If you wanna say you like something in French, to translate 'to like', then you better use the verb 'aimer'.

I agree with the beer though!

11. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

I checked the link...cool word! I guess I am going to add it to my daily vocabulairy

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I think most foreigners would disagree with that. We have a very small set of "cuss words." Listen to an angry American swear and you'll hear the same six or eight words over and over. I once heard a guy say, "I'm so fucking tired of all this fucking shitty... shit. And I'm really feeling limited by my vocabulary at the moment." Spanish has two perfectly obscene unprintable words for "fuck"; our alternatives like "ball" and "screw" are so mild that you can say them on TV. Spanish has two perfectly obscene unprintable words for "penis"; we don't have any. Every slang word for male genitalia has a respectable alternative meaning that allows it to get through every obscenity filter. Spanish even has an obscene unprintable word for "hell," derived roughly from the idea that it's the place where you go when you're really, really fucked.
    Since we don't have that sound in English or in any other familiar language like German or Spanish, Dutch people generally tell us to use the KH sound. I can't pick out the phoneme on the rare occasions that I hear Dutch spoken by a native so I don't know what it sounds like. Is it perhaps the voiced fricative of Spanish G between two vowels, a voiced HK sound? That is a sound that anglophones simply don't hear. Everybody pronounces agua with the G of "gold," when in fact it's so soft that in colloquial speech it almost disappears. We know that intuitively, we pronounce the saguaro cactus as sa-wa-ro, but we don't think about it and realize that agua has the same consonant.

Anyway, I think the main thing Dutch people care about is that we stop pronouncing Van Gogh as "Van Go."

So our verb "to like" is unusual. If I say I LIKE fried chicken, which I do more or less, it is a distinctly different opinion than to say I LOVE fried chicken, which I absolutely do not. It sounds like the French are not able to make that distinction. As usual, the Chinese can match us. To love is ai, to like is xi huan.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But here you need "credit" for a "fuck" because those that have "credit" get fucked all the time with high interest rates, 20%! .

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  14. temur man of no words Registered Senior Member

Is not Van Gogh somethinhg like "fan gogh"? I know dutch soft 'g', but I think it does not sound so soft, actually it sounds like the person is trying to destroy his throat

15. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

I must inform you that there is a difference between Dutch and Flemish. Dutch is spoken in Holland and there they tend to destroy there troath when they pronounce a 'g'...let's say you could compare it to the 'g' in Juan'.
    In Flanders, and that is where I live (in fact I prefer to say I live in Belgium...But that is a political fact), we soften the 'g'. And I have been thinking of a language that also uses such a soft 'g'. It is not the 'g' you hear in Guadeloupe nor in Juan. You just don't stress the 'g' in anyway. It is a very soft sound. I'll check the net for a pronounciation.
    Same story with the 'v'. Don't make it sound like a sound between 'f' and 'v'. It is the 'v' you use when saying' vacation'. now make it 'Van' like in Van Morrisson.

16. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

Fragle, if you wanna make the difference between liking and loving in French...you could do it this way:
    If you meant 'i like to have chicken' as in an ordering way, you say: je veux du poulet.
    If you meant it in a way that expresses your feelings towards the dish you would say: J'aime bien du poulet. (I like chicken)...
    If you would want to express your total love and devotion to the dish you say: J'adore du poulet.
    So yes in French you can express the difference between liking and loving...

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

*English: life-form - it's kind of magical, scientific and misterious

*mothertongue: jūra - sea [ū as in fool]. It's a mystical word in Latvian mythology, there are daughters of the sea, then there is the sea itself as a personification, it's very frequently used daily, because everyone goes to relax by the sea. It's also historical, because we've been living by the Baltic sea for some thousands of years and there are many stories associated with it. And it's also personal, because I have lived by the sea and I love visiting it.
    Basically it's a word where mythology, songs, history, everyday life and personal experiences come together.

18. Sangamon Registered Member

Well this may sound a bit stupid, but my favorite word in English (eg the one i use the most) is 'cocksucker'. When pronounced with gusto it can convey so much. Look at the way Tony Soprano or Al Swearengen use it to understand what i mean. I'm a fan off oldskool cusswords

in my native tongue I must go with 'begankenis'. It is a word that is only used in my town and doesn't appear in any offical dictionary. Hell i don't even have a clue how to spell it properly.
    When u say 'this place is a begankenis' it basically means that 'there is a hell of a lot of people coming and going in this place all being very busy doing stuff'
    something like that

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

that is if you want to pronounce it the correct way. Dutch people from above the big rivers give it a disgusting 'throaty coughing up mucus' sound with it.

NEVER A K THOUGH!!!!

21. draqon Banned Banned

"Algae" is my favorite word in english language

22. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

hum..I don't see where I ever said it is with a K...I just denied that it is with a K and that people from above the Moerdijk are masters in fucking Dutch words up. Do we agree?

23. wanneszinnig God doesn't work 2day Registered Senior Member

In what sentence would you use it? the sound of the word is beautiful and soft I guess.