Your everyday philosophy?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by curioucity, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Nathan Registered Senior Member

"Failure is not falling down, but staying down."

"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DarkEyedBeauty Pirate. Registered Senior Member

I can't stand when people only have quotes about ambition and failure. They remind me of sports and pushing oneself too far. People need failure. It's necessary, and someone needs to do it in order for someone else to come out on top. I just don't get it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

"Life's a piece of shit, when you look at it..."

But seriously.... The game has to be played; there are no known rules; there are payouts; play.

p.s.: There are some serious violations of the term 'existentialism' in some above posts. Eeek.. please people, do your homework before hurting someone's legacy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007
  8. Roman Banned Banned

Sometimes the only way to learn is to fail.

9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Wrong. How people come up with completely mythological baseless delusion is beyond me.
    How exactly do you figure that:
    1. Failure is necessary.
    2. It is necessary for one to do in order for another to come out on top.

Sounds more like typical superstition to me.
    How did you come up with this? How is it valid?

10. DarkEyedBeauty Pirate. Registered Senior Member

Somedays I'm baffled as to how you can constantly disagree with the truths of the world.

1. If you never fail, what a wussy idiot you're going to be, and you will be jaded.
    2. In any competition, if one is winning, at least one must be losing. (Maybe, in a sense, they are winning things like "the game of life", blah blah, stupid optomistic bullshit.)

11. DarkEyedBeauty Pirate. Registered Senior Member

1. There is a competition.

2. com·pe·ti·tion n.

1. The act of competing, as for profit or a prize; rivalry.
    prize

3. prize1 n.

1. Something offered or won as an award for superiority or victory, as in a contest or competition.

4. Main Entry: win

Antonyms: failure, forfeit, loss

5. competitionn 1:

3. an occasion on which a winner is selected from among two or more contestants

6. In a competition at least one person wins and one person loses.

12. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Um I have stated this many times.
    These 'truths' are nothing but false assumptions. The world sees a facade, and assumes the facade is truth. These are assumptions that have been so stipulated into the individual, that they are mistaken to be truth.
    The world is flat.
    The sun goes around the earth.
    These are face value assumptions which used to be known as truths of the world. Much of what you claim to be truths are pure assumption.
    The individual bases a perspective of an argument on false assumptions, and assumes everybody else is operating from the same false frame.

The truth is that if you never fail, you will not be jaded.
    The truth is that failure is no necessary.
    Nobody is talking about competition.
    It is not necessary for one to fail in order for another to succeed.

The actual truths contradict that false assumptions that are commonly believed to be "truths of the world".

13. fess Registered Senior Member

It all ends tragically. You will inevitably lose everything you have and everyone you love.

14. Rosnet Philomorpher Registered Senior Member

Question everything. And when you're out of questions, ask why you're out of questions.

15. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

it will probably be fine

16. tosk Registered Member

everything in nature, including human affairs and everyday events that sorround us, is the result of necessity of nature.

17. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

The universe exists because of the sentient beings who observe it. If we did not exist to observe the universe, the universe would not exist, either. Therefore, there is no cold machinery of the universe more important than you or me.

Authority is often highly arbitrary and, in such cases, ultimately existent for the purpose of self-perpetuation, not altruistic servitude of society.

I did not sign up for this life; it can't be very healthy to take it too seriously.

On the other hand, I ostensibly did sign up for my own decisions. My first loyalty is to myself and my actions.

God is just a word.