Your Diet?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by cotton, Mar 24, 2005.

?

Your Diet?

1. I am a meat eater

21 vote(s)
    72.4%
  2. I am a vegetarian

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  3. I am a vegan

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. I eat whatever goes with my religion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cotton Resident Pirate Registered Senior Member

Yes I realize that I was taking the view of an ignorant American. Besides all that do you live in a third world country or have to ever been to one. I have and I know the struggles to get food. I have seen it in my own eyes.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cotton Resident Pirate Registered Senior Member

Ok first of all I am not "dissing" all Americans I am one my self I am only "dissing" ignorant ones.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Now what does that have to do with my intial point?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Yeah? Picked up the national geographic at your library?

8. cotton Resident Pirate Registered Senior Member

http://www.themeatrix.com/ yay watch that video.

9. cotton Resident Pirate Registered Senior Member

haha your funny, no I lived with a poor Moroccan family for a week in their village.

10. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I can't. The flash plugin for linux is buggy. It crashes my browser.

Gimme an overview

11. cotton Resident Pirate Registered Senior Member

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Its a spoof of the matrix where a pig is enlightened by "Moopheus". The pig is taken from a daydreamed family farm to a real meat plant via the red pill. From there on the evils of agricultual corporations are mentioned along with the adverse effects they have on society. Negative truths of the meatpacking industry are outlined.

Charming little flash product.

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Not so! watched it till the propaganda started to get on my nerves.

14. cotton Resident Pirate Registered Senior Member

haha yeah it is funny how it's done. But it is true, that's what is sad.

15. vslayer Registered Senior Member

im a lacto-vegan, im closer to vegan than vegetarian, so i ticked that box

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

About 60 million years ago, when the first angiosperms evolved, some shrew-like rodents looked up into those trees and said, "Damn, that's some fine fruit up there. The only animals that can eat it are birds and snakes. I gotta get me some." Eventually their descendants developed claws that could be used for climbing and a metabolism that could subsist on a high-carb low-protein diet. They were the sloths, the first mammals that could climb trees and eat their fruit. The sloths eventually developed more efficient metabolism so they could get more energy into their muscles and stop being so slothful, and their descendants were the primates.

A few million years ago, some of those chimpanzee-like primates looked down at the ground and said, "Damn, the lions get all the good food. Just look at them scarfing up that zebra. I wish I could get me some meat instead of settling for the occasional insect or lizard to supplement this boring, time-consuming high-fiber diet." They climbed down out of the trees, learned to walk erect, form more efficient and cooperative groups by inventing language, and learned to make weapons out of flint that made them a good match for the larger predators. They became hominids.

Then about 12,000 years ago a wolf and a human noticed that they kept running into each other hunting the same territories. The wolves could smell out and chase down some really huge prey, and the humans had weapons that could kill it. What a feast was had by all. Humans and dogs (dogs are genetically identical to wolves, it turns out, we just give them a different name) formed the first multi-species community. Learning to get along with a "person" whom you can't even talk to made it easier for humans to get along with other humans who merely spoke different languages and worshipped different gods. Eventally the human-dog community became civilization.

So there are three fundamental things that define our humanity, three forks in the road we took that make us what we are today:

1. We love fruit.
    2. We love meat.
    3. We love dogs.

The Atkins diet groupies turn their back on fruit. And they've become really weird. The vegans turn their back on meat. And they've become really weird. The fundamentalist Muslims turn their back on dogs... well you can see how that worked out.

Spurn your humanity at your own peril.

17. daydream_believer Et in Arcadia Ego Registered Senior Member

I would love to be able to say I was a vegetarian, because I really do think that it's morally correct, but my uprbinging has made me love the taste of meat, and changing, especially while still living at home, would be impossible.

Also, I just can't understand what the staple food would be without it? Because I've been brought up on low-carb as well. So without meat or carbs, where would I be?

When they create more realistic fake meat, I'll become a vegetarian...

Why does the flesh of other living creatures have to be so, so, so, SO tastey.

*runs off to cook some bacon while switching morally conscientious part of mind off*

18. Yamayama Registered Senior Member

Maybe you're thinking of 'vegetarians'. Vegans go further than that: they turn their back on dairy products as well; and animal products in general. And if you consider this 'weird', then I disagree. Personally, I know some vegans. Some of them are rock-solid, sensible individuals. Others are a little bit ... eccentric is probably an appropriate word. In my humble opinion, they take some things too far, but their primary cause is still a worthy one. You get eccentrics in the proponents of many causes - people who just go slightly over-the-top - even worthwhile causes.

But to dismiss all vegans as 'weird' is unfair. And, to cut to the chase: are you not prepared to acknowledge the point I made already? That humans are (...perhaps with bizarre exceptions such as the ones Avatar referred to) the only mammals which drink the milk of another mammal? And that we are the only mammal that drinks milk over the course of our entire lives, as opposed to merely our infancy?

You seem to be drawing on the hackneyed 'natural' argument; but then refusing to acknowledge it's consequences. If you are using precedence in nature when building your definition of 'weird'; then, IMHO, the adjective ought be ascribed to the 'milk-drinkers' instead.

Firstly: that's ... slightly melodramatic isn't it! Secondly: what is the peril you're referring to?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

So, what's wrong with that? It's tasty and healthy. Noone was harmed in the process of getting it.
    If I were your formal logic teacher, I'd give you an F. They are not the only ones if there are exceptions.

20. plexus Registered Senior Member

If you think your mother's milk was all you'll ever need, wait till you get old. Bone loss and a broken hip at the time when you're old, alone, and ugly, is such a scary situation that you want to drink up your glass of milk and eat up your plate of curd every day like a good boy. Taking vitamins is not enoug, since a good part of the pill goes straight out of you (that's why you sometimes see more than 100% of daily value in the chart). Those pills are not meant as a substitute.

21. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Milk is fine, but remember that calcium is plentiful in most diets. What you need are things that help calcium uptake into the body(vitamin D).

Your body gets more calcium standing in the sun for 3 hours than it does from 10-20 glasses of milk

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  22. vslayer Registered Senior Member

id better get drinking milk then

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'm omnivorous.