You want an ethical dilemma? You got one!

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Undecided, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Undecided Banned Banned

What an ethical controversy, this has the potential to affect the abortion debate as well. If it decided that the fetus was a living being and she could be convicted with murder of an unborn fetus it sets a very dangerous precedent. Should this woman be convicted of murder?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. otheadp Banned Banned

1 she was here first
    2 it's eventually up to her
    3 this woman needs rest and moral support, not arrest, trial and dragging of her name through the mud by money hungry media, not to mention being constantly reminded of the death of her baby

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. immane1 Registered Senior Member

I posted this story FIRST, in the political section today, where it seems to belong, given the questions I asked. If you comment on mine first, I will then comment on yours. Yes, I am 12.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

*further validates Undecided's version of the thread*

This is an appaling case, mentaly disturbed women who get pregnant should not have so much power over the process, in fact, I think that the state should nationalize the womb of every mentaly retarted or mentaly disturbed person who has one, and allow some sort of federal pannel decide what will happen concerning it.

8. immane1 Registered Senior Member

"I think that the state should nationalize the womb of every mentaly retarted or mentaly disturbed person who has one, and allow some sort of federal pannel decide what will happen concerning it."

Of course you do! The government is your mommy and your daddy. You have no idea what is right or wrong. Now go outside and play with Jimmy, and be a good little boy.

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

How would it affect Abortion laws?
    Third trimetser abortions are already illegal unless not doing so poses an immediate threat to the mother, as far as I understood it.
    Is that no so?

10. Undecided Banned Banned

Well the reason why I say it could affect things like abortion is because it sets precedent, if the fetus/baby is classified as a living human being. Then wouldn't all forms of abortion be considered murder? The fetus is still not breathing in the womb, and it is dependant. Thus what can we conclude? Conservatives are going to use this to their advantage and liberals are going to be on the fence, or reject that this woman did anything illegal. If she is convicted of murder an argument could be made that abortion is no different. Remember this woman did not have the C-section b/c she didn't want her aesthetics’ to be hampered with and she said it would ruin her life. She at no time was threatened by this pregnancy, so? What can we discern from this?

11. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

There's another consideration as well. Major surgery of this kind is inherently dangerous. If the court rules that the woman is guilty of murder they are essentially saying that she is required to endanger her life for the life of another. While there are laws that make actions that actively endanger the life of a child illegal they do not require you to risk your life to prevent some 'natural' danger.

~Raithere

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Too late for that.
    The Unborn Victims of Violence Act (supported by Bush and already passed by The House) goes up for a no-fillibuster Senate vote in less than two weeks.

http://www.nrlc.org/Unborn_Victims/UpdateUVVA031204.html

13. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

If she's a retard, thank god her children died.
    I don't see how this woman can be in trouble though.
    For not having a caserean, thats absurd. Why don't we go round up some women from tribal villages and incarcerate them for not having c-sections.
    So she doesn't live in a tribal culture, she's still animal and can have birth anywhere and anyway she see's fit.
    Thats not even kind of anyone elses business.
    I don't think anyone should ever be held accountable for NOT doing something, especially something like this, not having a c-section. She's being arrested for going into labour and birthing a dead child(or children or whatever it is).
    Obviously thats ridiculous.
    Can someone be charged for attempted suicide for not taking medicine?

14. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

Yes immane1, my god you are getting it! Jackbooted fetal fascists marching down the avenue in their tan shirts, knowing no parent but the state, and no teat but its ruler. Unborn supermen are our superiors.

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Sadly enough, yes, actually.
    If a board of doctors and a judge are satisfied that the person is a threat to themselves by not taking the prescribed meds (intentional or not), they can be locked up in a mental instituion against their will for an indefinite amount of time.

16. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Well, thats messed up, not much else to say about that.

17. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

yep, i agree, any country that has suicide as a crime, is just messed up
    i think it funny (in a sadistic way)
    that by doing what she did, she got arrested
    if she had the operation, the doctor could have got sued if he failed the operation.
    if she did have the operation, she could possibly be arrested for trying to commit suicide by having adangerous procedure for no reason
    there is no way to win, stupid media and Govt see to that

18. slotty Colostomy-its not my bag Registered Senior Member

in english law ,the unborn child is not considered living and a separate being until the umbilical cord is actually cut.therefore in english law she could not be tried for any offence against her unborn child.

19. Undecided Banned Banned

Since I live in Canada same thing here, so that's why I thought it could spark a abortion debate. But I guess it's different in the US.