you guys have got to check this out!!!!

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by science man, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys ok let me start by saying this. I recently became a member of a site called stumbleupon.com and for those of you who don't know what it is, it's a site that has a bunch of categories to choose from and then it stumbles around the net to pages related to those categories. Well, one of the categories is called "Futurism" and after a few stumbles it took me to a site that after two nights I'm still working on reading through it. It's so amazing to me that I've come to the conclusion of just having to share it with you guys. The site is called futuretimeline.net and that's exactly what it is. I'm still reading through the events it saying will happen by certain years. Sure, it's probably not accurate because by scientific law nothing is in this field, but it's still EXTREMELY fun to read through. I actually hope that a lot of the stuff it predicts isn't true in a good way (meaning the advances will come quicker than it predicts) For example, according to it, quantum computers won't come out until 2037 and a universal translator won't come out until 2039, which really bums me out.

EDIT: Other examples of things I hope come quicker than it says are things like mind uploading not being available until 2210. I mean WTF are kidding me. In my book, mind uploading and downloading should at least start to happen by the year 2050. Another example is that according to it, Mars being completely terraformed (make Earthlike) until 2500 and Venus won't be terraformed until 2700. I mean seriously WTF!!!!!!!!!! I started figuring out how to change the atmosphere about 3 years ago as a sophmore in high school.

DOUBLE EDIT: lol according to it also, by the year 4000, by the known laws of physics computers will reach there ultimate potential and computer science will be obsolete. To that I stay maybe there will be more known laws of physics which are currently unknown, making computer science able to even further.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Yeah, stumbleupon is pretty cool...Been there a few times..

I haven't checked out futuretimeline yet, will look into that..

You can even submit threads from here, to stumbleupon..Just look at the bottom of this page, you will see the icon for it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Thomas Jefferson said it would take over a 100 generations to settle and occupy the Louisiana purchase. Wow was he wrong ! Get to Getting my friend

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Thomas Watson, president of IBM in the early 1950s, said that the entire human race would only need about fifty computers.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

Nothing dates as fast as a vision of the future.

We look at previous attempts and we see flying cars, but not mobile phones and the Internet, let alone being able to access the latter from the former.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Does it predict the The Zeppelin Wars of 1982?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sGYULzoQC...Journal Dec 1900 paleofuture paleo-future.jpg

http://futurepredictions.com/2010/1...ar-2000-as-listed-in-the-ladies-home-journal/

"Prediction #18: Telephones Around the World. Wireless telephone and telegraph circuits will span the world. A husband in the middle of the Atlantic will be able to converse with his wife sitting in her boudoir in Chicago. We will be able to telephone to China quite as readily as we now talk from New York to Brooklyn. By an automatic signal they will connect with any circuit in their locality without the intervention of a “hello girl”."

You were saying?

I think predictions are very accurate: because there are so many of them a few are bound to be correct, its just sorting the correct ones out of the pile and wrong ones. I say if you want to gauge how accurate prediction of the future are we first need to take these prediction from 1900 and dissect them, see by what pattern they got things right and by what pattern they got things wrong.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  10. phlogistician Banned Banned

That's a prediction for an automated exchange, with a wireless component, but not a mobile phone as we understand them today. Chances are the author was thinking of a phone booth on a ship.

11. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Mars another Earth in 2500? If we're lucky! And Venus? 3000 at the absolute least. Don't know what book you've been reading but these are PLANETS!

12. wow you really have no faith in the technological production of the human race, but I guess I sort of can't blame you since I'm disappointed in us for not already having flying cars on the market. Notice I said "on the market" one of my friends told me that there's a guy who has one because he created it and the government has one. He said though that they wouldn't be available to the public until 2040.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Lots of technical and regulatory compromises in flying cars. I love that daydream of being in a flying car when cops (lacking a ride like mine) try to pull me over...

But in reality one of my airplanes is actually cheaper than the average car, and still more cars are available to rent affordably at most airports. I don't think it's really a problem needing a solution, before a more revolutionary changes than that, just over the visible science horizon make such concepts utterly moot.

I want my-
    I want my,
    I want my singularity.

14. orcot Valued Senior Member

Does anyone know a site that posts old scans of future predictions on the year 2000 from 1980 and back?

15. I know a site where future predictions are made. Does that help?

16. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

17. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Dude- this is not a science experiment in a labratory- these are PLANETS we're talking about- you know- things as big as EARTH!

If you have that much faith in the ability to terraform foreign bodies then perhaps you're the man to solve Global Warming. Otherwise you are being ignorant of the sheer SIZE of these projects!

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Oh just concede already! Certianly they could not have predicted every detial but they got the general idea even back in 1900, come on look at some of these:

"Prediction #9: Photographs will be telegraphed from any distance. If there be a battle in China a hundred years hence snapshots of its most striking events will be published in the newspapers an hour later. Even to-day photographs are being telegraphed over short distances. Photographs will reproduce all of Nature’s colors.

Prediction #10: Man will See Around the World. Persons and things of all kinds will be brought within focus of cameras connected electrically with screens at opposite ends of circuits, thousands of miles at a span. American audiences in their theatres will view upon huge curtains before them the coronations of kings in Europe or the progress of battles in the Orient. The instrument bringing these distant scenes to the very doors of people will be connected with a giant telephone apparatus transmitting each incidental sound in its appropriate place. Thus the guns of a distant battle will be heard to boom when seen to blaze, and thus the lips of a remote actor or singer will be heard to utter words or music when seen to move."

19. Well, yes I have an idea for that too, which is, figure a material (hopefully in the form of a gas) that seal up the ozone layer and not be affected by our cars.

20. FreshHat Registered Senior Member

21. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

hmmmm. . . you'll have to do something about the big change though. All this is VERY technology oriented. It assumes that all this technology is good for us, psychologically that is. In order for this collected knowledge and development to continue, relative peace, stability and progress need to continue. I really don't think people understand the cyclical nature of life and death and re-birth applies to all things.

If you aren't aware of the cleansing, the shift and re-birth that is imminent, you aren't paying attention. I have a feeling big things are a foot. Each month they get more and more dire. How are these technological advances going to continue unabated if the people are scrounging for food and energy? :shrug:

Not to poo poo the polyannaish joy fest or anything. . . . sorry. Just trying to be a realist here. We landed people on the moon, like, ah. . . what forty years ago? We're going no where fast folks. We're too busy enslaving the populations of the world, making money, and killing each other.

22. I agree. What you've said here is the reason why technological and scientific advances are so slow!!!! It fucken sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is basically the ultimate definition of our ignorance as a race!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.