You don't Mess with the Zohan: Jewish Propaganda

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by draqon, Jun 17, 2008.

1. John99 Banned Banned

He started on Saturday Night Live. There must have been a few dozen of them who went on to do movies.

John Belushi - probably the first
    Dan Ackroyd
    Eddie Murphy
    Dana Carvey
    Will Farrel
    Steve Martin

Thats all i know of.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bells Staff Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yes!

Sam you're a godsend!

I'm going to have to find them and sneak them into the house. I was roundly told off when I watched Devdas. Heavily pregnant and was meant to be avoiding all stress and there I was, bawling my eyes out for hours during a movie. My husband was worried I'd go into labour.

But Monsoon Wedding is probably up there as one of my favourite movies. Only watched it once and it stuck with me. Don't know why.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I used to watch a lot of Hindi movies at one time, my sister and I used to make extravagantly cheesy predictions about the story line watching really Z grade movies- it was surprising how many would come true; nowadays I just hit the ones that are advertised as good watching, but I keep abreast of the really really bad ones too. Sometimes they are so bad, they are extremely fun to watch.

PS I added an edit to my previous post.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

I think I've seen Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. The storyline is very familiar.

Hmmmmm..

I'm going to have to hunt them down.

8. John99 Banned Banned

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Going back on topic, the only community that does not have a stereotype in Indian movies is Jews. Its really odd, but with all the good Jewish actors and actresses we've had, we've never had a caricature to identify them. We have the Brahmin, the Warrior, the untoucable, the Punjabi, Gujarati, Maharashtrian, Bengali, South Indian, Muslim, Christian, Parsi, Kashmiri, Bihari, even the English and the Greek; even the Irani in the bakery or the tea stall, but no Jews.

How odd.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

bells did you ever see an australian movie (think it was australian) set in a school. The movie starts with a suicide (you dont see who's sucide it was) and then flashes back to (i think) a week before. You see through the eyes of a gay guy, the football captan, a girl who is being raped by her brother and i cant rember the last one. Throughout the movie you are trying to work out which of the four is the suicide untill the last few sceans where you see each of them as the suicide happens (from memory it was by cutting wrists)

That movie actually made me cry (seriously). It was so sad

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Some of them I can't remember at all, even seeing their names and faces

Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Mike Meyers, David Spade, Dennis Miller, Chris Rock, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Will Farrell, Jimmy Fallon, Rob Schneider ... too many to name, and most of them suck. Moviefone offers a list of "The 25 Best 'SNL' Stars Turned Movie Stars". I think the rule of thumb is that SCTV stars who went on to SNL and then to movies generally made better films than SNL finds. What slays me, though, is that the list puts Adam Sandler ahead of Mike Meyers. While I can understand putting him ahead of others like Crystal and Murray, since he's more hip and contemporary, the list is supposed to pertain to the best, which reminds us that, indeed, it's only Moviefone.

12. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Superstring01:

Did it move, baby?

13. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

um most of those people weren't on SCTV they came from the second city comedy clubs in chicago and toronto for the most part.

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Works for me

Fair 'nuff. Thanks for the correction. I'm not particularly versed in Second City lore.

15. ripleofdeath Registered Senior Member

i dont like any of adam sandlers films because they all seem to be slap stick without a decent slap interlaced with attempted catch phrases, BUT... think for a moment if this film was about a Muslim, could it be made ? would it be shown ? would there be massive riots in other countrys because of it ? if a religion cant stand up to having fun poked at it then it is not a religion but a cult of hardliner intolerants.
    "smell it, ... "smell it" ... "now take it"
    lame attempt to create a catch phrase by who ever the promoter is or who cut the shorts, but im sure it will gain some ground

16. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Then again, it says more about the audience, doesn't it?

I would have to actually see the film before I could answer that question. To the other, Adam Sandler as a former Pakistani ISI turned hairdresser sounds even worse.

Riots? Maybe. There's been a hilarious bit recently because an online petition is collecting names requesting German director Uwe Boll quit making films. (Boll's response is the source of hilarity, although at some point it's just sad.)

I would think that it should be enough that people petition Sandler to quit making movies, not because they mock Jews or whatever, but because they suck.

17. desi Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I saw this propaganda coming too. Its funny and hip and Adam Sandler... People will watch it and be brainwashed to a certain extent by it. It is what it is. Start a nonJewish flim studio if you want this type of nonsense to go away.

18. Bells Staff Member

Okay.

Funny, hip and Adam Sandler don't even belong in the same sentence.

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

found that movie i was talking about bells

Its called 2:37

"A contemporary, ensemble drama telling the complex tale of six high school students whose lives are interwoven with situations that so many of today's youth are faced with. Each of the six students have their own personal problems and goals.

The story takes place during a normal school day. At precisely 2:37 a tragic suicide will occur, affecting the lives of a group of students and their teachers. As the story unfolds, the individual stories of the six teenagers are revealed, each with its own explosive significance. This eventually leads up to one of the characters taking their own life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2:37

This movie seriously made me cry and PB couldnt actually watch all of it (though it was her idea to hire it in the first place)

20. Bells Staff Member

Hmmm I've heard of it but never seen it. Will have to check it out sometime.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Muslims do laugh at themselves, they just don't make a song and dance about it.

Though some have started to:

http://www.allahmademefunny.com/

22. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

What?

reads plot summary (spoiler)

Well that completely ridicules Draqon's claims that it's a right wing Israeli propaganda movie.

23. Mc'lovin Registered Member

I dont know why most of you are arguing :S

me, personally.... [hate speech deleted]

Your not seeing the funny side to this film. Adam Sandler to me is a legend.

i aint no geek who sit's behind a p-c all day or gets shit hott results at school, but i know a funny film when i see one.
    you wanna know why i have this gift?

BECAUSE IT MAKE'S ME LAUGH!

Fuckin Top Quality Film and i am gonna give the V Symbol to the jewish religion, they have not done anything to me but i just dislike how they have to be diffrent with the jewish curl's and stupid hate's that look like food bowls :S
    And At there wedding you get put in a chair, i mean come'on living life to the full is great but thats a bit OTT no need for the Fuckin Chair, could break something

right chow, hope i get people saying bad stuff about this comment but there must be a few who like what i have said, i think manchester does anyway.