You don't like the Beatles or...

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Pollux V, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

...you know someone that doesn't like the Beatles.

I love them, more than any other band, and I think that pretty much everyone I know at the very least likes them. If you don't like the Beatles, why don't you, eh?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DarkEyedBeauty Pirate. Registered Senior Member

I'm sure everyone will hate me for this, but I've never liked Lennon. Just his attitude and character was always very unattractive to me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I only fancy few of their songs and a lot of their material is downright boring...."Twist and shout" however is a damn fine song made even better by the movie "Ferris Buller's day off".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I meant, more like their music. At the moment I think we only have the Beatles that suck, the really great ones are the ones that are dead. Ringo's kind of cool but I don't really like Paul.

Fair enough. Have you ever heard "I am the Walrus." If you have an illegal sharing program I'd suggest getting your claws on it and giving it a listen.

8. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I just aquired their cd "One" strangely enough it doesn't have any of the songs i adored them for....it was a disappointment.

Hey jude has an excellent ending but it takes too long to get to it (The movie "The royal Tenenbaums" had an excellent score of hey Jude's ending done by an orchestra.)

Ok so i tried "I am the walrus".....very trippy

9. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

The best albums are probably Revolver, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band, Abbey Road, and the White Album. Don't buy into that anthology crap, I've never bought one of those.

10. and2000x Guest

I dislike them because they don't sound like Wagner.

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

I dislike the way their ideology and pop makes me want to kill.

12. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

insensitivity...

Ever tried "Helter Skelter?"

Plus, Xev, don't you want to kill anyway?

Well I'm sorry about that Adolph. By the way, are there any modern bands out there that do sound like Wagner, by any chance?

13. and2000x Guest

No, there aren't any bands that sound like Wagner. There is some good modern classical music though, like Horner, Frizzell, Graveland, Emperor, Burzum, Summoning, and Lord Wind. I like Jewish and anti-semitic composers alike.

14. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Well I'm glad you're covering all the bases! IMO, most modern classical doesn't hold a candle to the older stuff.

15. and2000x Guest

Of course modern classical is bland in comparison to the timeless works of old. That is why I would like to see a revival in classical music, not more 'rock n roll'.

16. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Yeah. I'd have to say, really anything in the mainstream today is extremely simple and repetitive (by mainstream today I mean anything that YOU or ANYONE ELSE listens to that was made in the last fifty years), it all follows the same formula, the same style of drum beats, bass thrums, with some other instrument repeating a riff above it all. If Mozart or Wagnerheard any of what we listen to that's been made in the last fifty years they'd either cringe or just be bored out of their minds.

As simple as it is, I do think that the Beatles are the best of modern music.

Everything is a cycle, and I don't doubt that sooner or later there will be a classical revival.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Ever listen to Tomita?

18. Xev Registered Senior Member

Pollux V:
    While this is true for many bands, listen to Burzum, early Sadist (before Tommoso decided to be "experimental") or some early Emperor.

19. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I know some people (Americans) who have never heard of Beatles.

20. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I think they are overrated.
    Especially their early stuff, when they hit the drugs a bit harder it got a little more interesting but still overrated IMO.
    I disagree with DEB though, as far as I can tell lennon was the only "artist" out of any of them, the rest were just guys along for the ride.

Heaps of my friends are obsessed with the beatles, but I suspect they like likeing the beatles more than they actually like them.
    Do you know my friends don't even like Kelly Clarkson? Pfft, losers

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. cyberia Lounge Act Registered Senior Member

When I was little (Like 5) I was convinced that John Lennon was one of the leaders of the communist russian revolution... I even tried to run away to russia and meet him one time...

I was a strange child... I still am actually but thats beside the point...

BEATLES RULE!

22. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

The surviving beatles actualy make money off the anthologys, thats why they are around, those big collections of half finished or not final version recordings of beatles songs. Michal Jackson (Yes THE Michal Jackson) owns the rights to all the beatles recordings, so when you pick up a CD thats money in his pocket not paul or ringo or the estates of george or john.

or maybe this is just some crazy urban legend i heard... cant remember. But i believed that is why they had to do the anthologys, because the beatles and thier people couldnt make money on thier old stuff because it had all been sold away.

23. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Well, come on, it's not like they desperately need the money. They're the goddamn Beatles. They have, like, more money than South America (the continent) excluding Venezuela and French Guiana.

I think it's more like a third of the Beatles' recordings. I don't quite know why he'd want to do something like that, but I guess he's kind of wierd to begin with so, yeah...

Recommondations--

As I said to sarge, dl "I am the Walrus"
    "Within You Without You"
    "Day in the Life"

If you don't like at least one of those songs then you're hopeless.

Da! Don't be Red! Don't be Dead!

Nah, Harrison is better than Lennon. Just listen to "Something." All Harrison...

Wow, maybe you should change your name to "Dr Lou Dickhead"