"You can be anything you want to be"

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by grazzhoppa, Dec 7, 2002.

1. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Do you remember when you were told this, when you were growing up?

At what point did people start to teach this? I remember seeing some TV clips from the 60's about NASA's space program, and little Johnny dreaming of being an astronaut and he was encouraged with that saying. When was this even considered....I know in the 1800's, the idea of where you were born and what your family did was where you stayed and how you lived your life, was starting to change. There was the western frontier in America, exploring, inventions...that were available to the "average person."

Was the point when agriculture started to become less of a necessity and the need for emerging technology was given the priority over it?

In other countries (NOT USA), do they teach children, "they can be anything they want to be?" I have no experience overseas but I'm interested.

Did the need for new technology and science give people this idea?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

They say it here in Sweden too. I think it has to do with the modern society. That everything is so available for all now, especially education. And that people are beginning to realize that the mind does control the matter. And besides, wouldn't you want to say that to your kids?
    It's an encouragement.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.