You can bake cookies with Firefox 1.0

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by curioucity, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Okay, okay, sorry for the awkward title...

I'm using Firefox 1.0 as stated right now, and I have a cookie problem (I guess I have told you once but I misled you badly by saying Mozilla instead. I apologize first for that).
    Currently, everytime I access sciforums, there's a chance that I'm not automatically logged in, even though I have enabled the cookies (that is, I've chosen the remember me option everytime). And this happens only when accessing sciforums, not the other cookie-dependant sites I access often, though I treat the logging in the same way, that is, input username, password, choose "login automatically for each access", and start browsing (and I choose that no password is remembered). Can someone tell me how to deal with this?

Thanks.

PS: whoops, I overbaked the cookie...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

get a new browser? :m:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Oh, you mean using another browser for testing? Very well, but please tell me your suggestion other than Netscape... somehow I can't download it from the net because of my ISP...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

curioucity may i suggest dynamite and lots of it

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Before doing the following, note you should clear your current cookies as they might have some values set that are causing the problem.

Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cookies
    "Tick" Allow sites to set cookies

Make your decision on "Keep Cookies"
    "Until they Expire" will keep them for as long as the site had set, this could be hours, days, months or even years.
    "Until I close Firefox" will remove the cookie everytime you close Firefox.
    "Ask me everytime" it will ask you what you want to do per site.

Click the "Exceptions" button
    "Block" sites you don't want cookies from
    "Allow" from sites you want to always allow cookies
    "Allow per session" I think this allows cookies from a site, but they are purged when the browser closes.

you will want to type SCIFORUMS.COM into the textbox and click ALLOW

9. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Okay, Stryder. I've done all that, so we'll just see in a few days if the problem reoccurs or not. Thanks

PS: To Kunax, dnamites are so yesterday.. care to suggest anything modern?

10. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

what dynamite is old, it seem like only yesterday it was in, damn this computer age advances fast, oh well you can always use the good old hammer that will never be outdated

11. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I'm with hotsexyangelprincess. Scrap Firefox.

I destroy all cookies - no cookies on my machine, ever. That has never caused me any problems. I can only think of two websites that I've ever seen that actually require a cookie, and I have a work-around for both of them.

On this forum - and several others where I am a member - my name is remembered but not my password. And no cookies, ever.

12. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

use mozilla

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

It's not the browser's fault. Works perfectly fine for me. Firefox has it's problems here and there (mostly due to nonstandard HTML code) but overall it is so far ahead of any other browser that there is no comparison.

14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

ROFLMFAO!

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I take it that you're an Internet Suxplorer kinda guy?

16. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Interesting that you'd guess that. IE6 is the only browser that does what I want it to do.

I've tried Firef**kup twice and scrapped it twice.

17. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Mozilla is the greatest. And maybe followed by that new one (Safari) for the OSX.

18. dmcm01 Guest

give firefox a chance!!!
    maybe a reinstall will help you, dont piss with the settings as i have no problems with firefox and this website....

19. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Okay, people, you have your own preferences, just like I do, so don't mock each other just because you like either browser, please... You know, even IE has its own advantage, being an integrated part of Windows, it's faster on safer websites (mainly the big search engines)

Up to Stryder: It seems that after a few days the problem doesn't reoccur, so I guess it's solved. Thanks again, but I'll let you know again any findings I may find during the next few days.

20. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Curioucity is right. To each his/her own.

So just one more parting shot:

I gave it two chances and it failed both miserably (but I'm not necessarily ruling out a third).
    Two reinstalls. No luck.
    If I can't "piss with the settings" - i.e. set them to what I want - it's of no use to me.

If you can put up with it... good luck with that.

21. dmcm01 Guest

when i say piss with the settings, i mean mess with things you don't understand by typing about:config in the address bar.....

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I haven't had a cookie problem with this site on firefox.

23. river-wind Valued Senior Member

me either.

And while IE6 may do what you want, sideshowbob, by supporting it, you then support its breaking of programming standards. MS allows IE to work with badly malformed code, which can be good for users in that many poorly written website will still work.
    However, it also means that it allows bad programmers to write bad code, and put little effort into improving their work.

What IE is promoting in the long run is a mess of an internet; full of bad code, poor design, and many things that only work right if you use IE.

Support correct programming, and select support of the agreed apon internet standards. Use Moz or firefox. I use Firefox because I don't need mail or Newsgroups in my browser.
    I use IE for entering my hours at work, because of the exact problems mentioned above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.