You be the judge - sexual assault?

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by Beer w/Straw, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Not sure that exactly correct

If you even think about doing a very bad thing and gather stuff to enable you to do the bad thing but get caught before you do your defence is not "I ain't done nufink"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Conspi
    Conspiracy to commit murder?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. geordief Valued Senior Member

What are you accused of exactly (in a country with an independent legal system)?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

um yeah you kinda did. its kind of implied in your argument based on what your whining about.

bullshit. you got called on making an insane statement and now your trying to walk it back.

which in this case is a blatant strawman. it was rather transparent what you were attempting.

not really. thats just the way agressive insecure people reassure them themselves about people who don't need to play these kind of games.

people generally view people as intelligent based on agreement. and i said no such thing. i was merely saying that just because you may have more likes doesn't automatically make you smarter or your arguments more valid.

not really

again calling bullshit. Why bring it up other wise?

its called an idiom
    as a general rule i dont take advice from internet trolls[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

8. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Lone wolf

Not sure about America but in Australia if money found in a raid (large amounts) and no explanation of its origin is given - presumption, profits of crime

Police may suspect a crime (drug gun money laundering) but as far as I understand it can use generic crime, seize money and hand over to government

9. Bells Staff Member

Why shouldn't it be?

Because he is rich?

Do you think the laws should apply to everyone equally? Or do you think people with money should have a different set of laws for them, so that someone can, for example, steal from Bill Gates?

Pretty sure theft is still theft and thus, illegal.

If we were to follow your example, then someone stealing a person's car while that person is asleep inside their home and unaware that their car has been stolen, then no crime has been committed?

Theft is a crime regardless of whether the victim is aware of it or not.

Which brings me on to this next point, which really, is appallingly bad given the context of your argument:

This is a valid question, in your opinion?

What do you think the answer to that question is, sideshowbob?

Or we can consider both.

There is a reason why we have victim impact statements read out in court.

To even allude to a victim apparently being less of a victim or questioning if a crime has been committed against her while she "doesn't notice", which would imply she is incapacitated in some way, shape or form, is ludicrous. And dangerous.

I'll put it this way.

Say you and your family are asleep. Someone sneaks into your child's room, and lifts them out of bed and kidnaps them. Your child does not wake up during the whole thing. Is there a crime? After all, no one has noticed it.

He then drugs your child for days, so that your child is completely unaware of his or her surroundings and what has happened. Your child is returned days later, left sleeping in a petrol station.

Do you think we should be focusing more on what the kidnapper did? Or on how it affected your sleeping child?

What do you think should be more important?

I mean, has a crime been committed at all? After all, your child did not know what happened. Right? I mean, that's the standard you are applying here.

Now do you understand the outrage?

Eh?

Pretty much all jurisdictions have laws on their books dealing with stalking, harassment, threats or threatening behaviour.

pjdude1219 likes this.
  10. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

In simple terms because I really don't know the legal term "planning a crime"

Here can be arrested LEAVING the country if they suspect you intend to join up with bad people or commit a crime overseas

11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

There is a difference between conspiracy to commit (which is planning with other people) and planning a crime (having the maps, diagrams, weapons, burglar tools, etc in you possession). Those two involve criminal acts. There is yet another difference between planning with intent and planning in theory (say, for the plot of a novel or movie script), but neither of those is indictable.
    There is also a difference between using the image of a real person, taken without her consent (that's a crime), to fantasize, and fantasizing from memory (which isn't).
    The differences of degree here all have a sharp line of demarcation: thought / act.
    Your fantasies about the death of rich Uncle Egbert are nasty, but not criminal. Your ideas on how to facilitate the death of Uncle Egbert are bad, but not criminal. Your detailed plan to knock off Uncle Egbert are evil, but not criminal. Your buying the poison and scoping out where Uncle Egbert keeps his vitamins is criminal, even though you have not yet introduced the poison into the vitamin bottle. Doing that is criminal, even if Uncle Egbert never takes the poisoned capsule.

12. billvon Valued Senior Member

Then there is no crime.
    Then there IS a crime.

Again, then there is an action - beginning a crime.

So no action = no crime.

13. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I think the laws should be about harm.

Somebody else suggested that the action could/would probably not be prosecuted.

That's a ridiculously bad example. Of course it would be noticed.

And pretty much all jurisdictions have polititians who rely on fearmongering - so obviously fearmongering in and of itself is not a crime.

14. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

You misunerstood my statement and I clarified it.

15. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

How could they cover it up if they didn't know about it?

16. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

As somebody else pointed out, there certainly are exceptions. For example, there is a point at which "peeping" is a crime and a point at which it isn't.

17. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Yeah, and we draw a line somewhere. Sometimes the line is not so clearly delineated, and so it becomes a matter for careful examination and consideration. Why is this such a problem for you?

Edit: Or, I suppose, the line may be clearly drawn, but perhaps the instance of transgression is not so clear. Either way...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  18. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

It's not a problem for me. It's what I've been saying all along. Others seem to be suggesting that it's all cut and dried and the line is carved in stone. I agree with you that it isn't.

19. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Noone here is saying anything of the sort. I think everyone concedes that certain instances require a more careful consideration, but that's kinda beside the point...

It's this:

that people seem to have a problem with. I do too.

20. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

Then we all agree. Good.

21. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

See edit above.

22. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

"Assault" is a fairly broad term but in my understanding it generally involves a perceived threat of some kind. My question is: if nothing is perceived, where is the threat and where is the assault?

23. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Tomorrow's show

Entertaining
    Enlightening
    or
    Just bloody boring
    ???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.