Yo! Canadians!

Discussion in 'World Events' started by DeeCee, Apr 13, 2004.

1. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You didn't read the article, did you?

What makes you certain it is Canadians doing the killing?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

No I didn't I read this one

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3622539.stm

I posted the link to credit the picture and generally keep things snappy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Well...
    Sounds good enough to me

Don't get me wrong, Kill 'em if you want but after watching the teatime news my 10 year old daughter now has a major problem with Canadians. (but she also hates Barbie and Justin Timberlake so why worry?)
    I'm sure she'll get over it one day.

Dee Cee

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The fact that the Canadian government allowed seals to be killed does not mean that Canadians are doing the killing. The Canadian government, like many other governments allow the sale of cigarettes. Does that mean Canadians are causing cancer?

Does your daughter own any leather or other products from animal hide? Shoes for example?

Does she eat meat? Drink milk or eat cheese? Eggs?

Where does one draw the line?

8. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

So you have mercenaries do it?
    Somewhere between putting on your shoes and beating a seal pup to death with a sharp stick.

That would be my guess.
    Dee Cee

9. Undecided Banned Banned

It may be tough to see the photos of their deaths, but their deaths are not unlike that of cows. Why don't we see the outcry there? Simple, because cows aren't cute. Of course in retrospect it may seem wrong to kill animals, but here we cannot maintain a double standard. What is done is that there are quotas, and there is an economic necessity in Newfoundland and Labrador. I am not outraged at the animal’s deaths, but I don't think we should have unrestricted killing rights either. It's a balance...

10. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Deecee

The first thing you might want to do is explain the term 'hypocracy' to your daughter. She might then understand the close similarities between putting on shoes and killing seal pups.

11. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

That would be a bad idea.

She should learn about "hypocrisy," before she moves on to more advanced concepts like imaginary words.

12. lizey Registered Member

Oh please honey, she's ten, although I think she's got a good start if she hates *does high-pitched mocking tone* "Justin".
    And I apologise if I'm being overly pedantic, but it strikes me that there's some difference between eating a free-range egg and killing seals inhumanely, without regard for maintaining the population (killing pups), for cosmetic purposes (the article states that a primary cause is fur being fashionable).

13. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Undecided, cattle are supposed to be killed by a quick shot with a pin to the head. Not mercilessly beaten in the field. Not that that is "good". I've been a butcher for the last 2 1/2 years and eaten alot of beef. mmmmmm..... beef. I've no compunction over eating beef but why is there a direct correlation between how pretty an animal is and man's desire to kill it? "Damn, that's a perty animal, I wanna wear it!"

DeeCee, sounds like you're bringing her up to break the mold. Cool.

14. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Ok, people defending the clubbing of baby seals... interesting

Anyway, whats worst of all about this is the amount of animals that rely on those seals for food themselves. Killer whales and polar bears live it tough enough as it is trying to find enough seals to eat. Many of them simply won't be able to deal with this.
    So yeah its not only are innocent helpless infants being clubbed to death by humans, but hundreds of animals will die of starvation as a result. Just wandering around searching for food and not finding any. This happens to many every year anyway, it will just be a hell of alot more now and very hard for all of them.

This isn't comparable to eating farmed animals

its ferociously attacking an eco-system out of no where, and so many individuals will suffer its hard to think about.

And then there's the argument, there's lots of children in africa, should we go club them all to death with sticks?
    Why not? Can YOUR daughter spell hypocrisy (whatever that means I haven't been paying much attention)

And what does "too many" seals look like exactly?
    They think the seals are going to eat all the fish, yeah its that hilarious. Sad really.

Anyway, canada's fucked, now its down on asia's level, congratulations canada. Quite a feat. I thought it would be hard to match eating animals alive, clubbing dogs suspected of sars, putting live snakes in alcohol, Ripping live rabbits and ducks apart with your hands, sticking electric rods up whales asses .. (decided list was too long), it took a particularly heinous and vile activity, clubbing baby seals? Perfect. Take your crown...

Funny how no one takes this as seriously as they do americans occupying iraq. I mean really think about the reality of each issue... yeah... kind of ridiculous to even compare them isn't it? Funny if someone protested by systematically clubbing children to death in canadian playgrounds. Maybe occassionally ripping their skin off before they were fully dead

Japan, korea, canada, et al better hope nobody like me ever runs a country with an efficient military.

15. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

evil happens when good men do nothing, so allowing stuff to happen makes you allmost as responsible as doing it yourself.

16. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

It is indeed a sad state of affairs... looks like somebody let Ted Nugent get into the Canadian government.
    Still.. it isn't very far from what America is doing to, oh, say, anbody that's not rich, white, male, Christian... etc., etc., ..
    oh.. and the Iraquis as well.. oops, almost forgot them...
    oh... and Howard Stern as well.. yep...
    lol.. repeat.. ad nauseum...

17. Bells Staff Member

Ok let me get this straight. We're meant to be happy that Canada has allowed a bunch of stick wielding individuals to stalk around and whack defenseless baby seals to death? You're comparing it to killing a cow? Cows are killed more humanely than this. My god.. they're just babies.. with big eyes and long eyelashes.. oh those eyes... (ok I admit I'm being girly.. but come on) all to protect commercial fishing

. Who in their right conceivable minds could bring themselves to do it?

Having battery hens is bad and disgusting enough... but stalking the ice looking for baby seals and then pounding the living shit out of it with a sharp stick.. Lou is right, people were prostesting about the treatment of animals in Asia, Canada is not any better.

Killing one animal to save the fish that humans like to eat. That's basically what it comes down to. I hope the Canadians choke on some fishbones and then get to experience someone whacking the crap out of their back to dislodge it...

. Be better if the person whacking the fish eater was holding a big stick, call it poetic justice... but that'd be mean...

18. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Vortexx, I'm almost as responsible? Can the same be said for all the "good" work of brilliant people around me while I sit on my lazy ass? Cool. I'm almost as responsible for a lot of good things since I allowed them to happen. I'm gonna try that on my boss.

19. crazy151drinker Registered Senior Member

Its all a Zionest plot led by the NeoCons to deprive the Islamic world of peace

20. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Something like the truth:

1) the seal cull is being done on the basis that the seals are depleting the Atlantic fish stocks. This is a joke; the fish stocks are being depleted by industrial fisheries. Those fisheries are Canadian and American and European, don't kid yourselves about not being involved. This issue is a small shadow of the towering mess that all of these countries have made of the Atlantic ecosystem by systematically fishing it into destruction. So, in addition to grieving about harp seals, let us also have a funeral for the rest of the Atlantic Ocean, which is being destroyed largely by the same people and for the same reason.

2) In the US, similarly idiotic events happen on a smaller scale; on various occasions US states will unintentionally hold the Annual Timber Wolf Shoot, where an ecological group will release timber wolves into the wild, into the guns of a group of farmers who will shoot them all. Given enough time, any group of Idaho potato farmers with shotguns will ensure that their local ecosystem contains nothing but potatoes, farmers, and shotguns. This happens all the time and most US citizens don't know or care.

3) Dr. Lou
    You turn a nice simile but this is just garbage. You probably eat ground beef often enought, but would you grind up your own mother and eat her? Probably not... animals do not have the same social status as people, get over it. I also do not think that this lets Bush off the hook for invading Iraq, nice try though.

4) If allowing an action makes you responsible, then go buy a gun and shoot yourself, because you have already murdered millions. Again, don't kid yourself... industry runs your world. Everyone has some luxury anointed with the blood of a victim. The spilt blood of the Middle East runs your car, the blood of slave labour stains your clothes and shoes, and hundreds of Thai have died so that your stuffed animals could cost $8.99. To assume responsibility for this is arrogance, because you couldn't even stop it if you tried. (Boycotting does not change anything.) In Canada, the Maritime provinces' votes will swing the way the fishing industry does, because that is where all of their inhabitants work... so to pretend that a Canadian could rise up and stop the fishing industry of Canada from clubbing baby seals, is to do just that - pretend.

Feel free to decry the killing of three hundred thousand seals, but bear in mind that if the person who runs your country thought clubbing seals would make them more popular, they'd be doing it on TV tomorrow.

21. Undecided Banned Banned

Undecided, cattle are supposed to be killed by a quick shot with a pin to the head. Not mercilessly beaten in the field.

The animal is knocked out with the first blow (in most cases). They don't feel their death, which is the whole point really. Cattle should not be killed if these seals should not be killed. Why this double standard? It's because we are naturally attracted to a cute baby seal then a calf.

I've no compunction over eating beef but why is there a direct correlation between how pretty an animal is and man's desire to kill it? "Damn, that's a perty animal, I wanna wear it!"

We don't kill animals because they are cute, we kill them for their fur. If you want this "animal massacre" to stop, kill the European fur market for seals. Don't blame the reaction, you should blame the cause.

22. jinchilla Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

Double standard? Undecided, I don't understand why you quoted me. You and I seem to be in agreement that the method is the point. I didn't say don't kill the seals.

Also, I didn't say anything about "cute". As you said, we kill them for their fur, ie: their fur is pretty. I agree, without the demand, there would be no need for supply.

I find the pic disturbing but, your lookin' to argue with the wrong person here.

23. Undecided Banned Banned

Well your quote didn't say this: we kill them for their fur, ie: their fur is pretty.
    You said the animal was pretty, which means the whole deal. You should have cleared that up. But yes kill demand you kill supply and save their lives.