Yellowstone Supervolcano

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Wolfboy, May 25, 2004.

1. Facial Valued Senior Member

I've long since noticed that he sounds like a broken record. So we will fix him.

Athelwulf, join me in the struggle to liberate Norman.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

By the content of your posts, it sounds like you're a depressed volcanologist who hasn't been able to predict any erupting volcanos lately.......Sorry you missed Mt. St. Helens in 1980. It was blast! Yellowstone would be your greatest achievement, providing you document it up close! Keep trying and maybe someday someone will read your posts with some interest. Right now I don't think so.

Atta Boy

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Come on, guys. I ain't no moderator, but this is getting a bit too bitchy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Agreed!

Atta Boy

8. Facial Valued Senior Member

I feel satisfied.

Truce.

9. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

I watched Naked Science on the Yellowstone Supervolcano on National Geographic. Sounds freaky, like one of Earth's pimples.

10. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I know - its eruptions are unbelievably huge and would be catastrophic to us, but on a global scale its just like a bad attack of acne - or a loud fart...

11. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

Well, some scientists said that the soonest it could erupt is in about a hundred thousand years, hopefully we would have escaped this solar system by then.

12. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

If there are still humans, or something remotely resembling them, living on Earth by then, we will also probably have a way to prevent, or contain, the eruption. Let the supervolcano have its belch if it likes - but use a giant cylindrical force field to channel all the dust and ash and noxious gas directly upwards into space, without contaminating the rest of our atmosphere.

13. Toesupwa Registered Member

You folks just dont get the implications of this do you?.

When (notice i said 'when' and not 'if') Yellowstone blows its top, you can kiss everything you know now as 'normal' goodbye, no electricity (yup, no PC's either) no fuel, no food, no water, no AC, no gas..nothing...and dont expect FEMA to come running to help, cos they are gonna be too busy trying to survive themselves!.
    You CANNOT expect any government to help in such an event, and to suggest that you could build bunkers and store enough food is absolutley rediculous!... you are a country of over 200 million people, if 10% (i guess it would be a LOT more than that) were affected by an 'event' such as Yellowstone, thats 20 million people!. Where do you suggest you store all that food, water?..not to mention toilet facilities!!.

When it does go (or we get struck by a comet) then its every man, woman and child for themselves... Sorry to be so blunt, but thats the reality!.
    Perhaps when you are sitting there in the dark, choking to death, with ash falling all around you, you might remember exactly how childish some of the comments on this thread have been.

Yeah, i am in the UK..but am soon to move to the US!...

14. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

calm down mate, everyone here's just havin a tidy conversation, no need to get naggy.However you sound like you know your stuff when it comes to yellowstone, so as an inferio on the subject.... When it does erupt, will the uk be that drastically effected?-i mean, as in will the falling ash effect our (uk) water and food supply??is there anyway to guard/defend against it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

or are we all doomed

15. Essan Unknown entity Registered Senior Member

If Yellowstone erupts then those of us in the UK and Europe should grab our winter woolies 'cos it'll be a tad chilly for a few years till the climate settles down again. Climatic changes will affect our food supplies. But water will be okay. We'll live

16. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I have two identically-titled threads on this subject, occupying adjacent places on my Sciforums user control panel, today.

Let's end the discussion in 1 of them. All we're doing here and now is repitition.

17. archivehugh Registered Member

I live in Butte, Montana near Yellowstone. When it blows maybe I get a front seat on the rocket ride, who knows. Anyway I have a friend that grew up in West Yellowstone and still lives there. He has emailed me and told me that since his childhood to now, there is some major changes. It's no secret. He says that his favorite fishing holes that he's been going to since a little boy has changed. No fish and dead fish. Also in the local news there has been geysers going off that haven't went off in years. The bubble that sprang up on the bottom of Yellowstone lake. The ground is too hot to walk on... These are all facts that is readily on the news or internet. So who knows really how to prepare for this? One question I have is that in our small town we have a mine that has over 10,000 miles of tunnels and shafts mined for copper from generations of miners. Couldn't we utilize some of these tunnels as a shelter to maybe preserve humanity? (just a thought) So if Yellowstone goes off in my lifetime I'll just have to dodge the fire and brimestone falling down on my head unless I can make it to the mine shafts before getting clobbered. And if I do make it to the shaft... no provisions except for a empty mineshaft. Then I'll say too bad we didn't prepare a shelter here. My hobby is collecting vintage film footage and have collected hours and hours of footage of Yellowstone. You can go see images at www.buttemontana.smugmug.com
    later...Hugh

18. nexus Registered Member

To those who watched the Discovery Channel special "Supervolcano" tonight, what did you think of it?

I actually missed the premiere at 8pm EST and am watching the end of the encore presentation now. I wasn't aware that it was going to be so long (3 hours!)

I don't know much of the earth science behind any of this, aside from what I've read in PopSci and seen on the History channel a few months/years ago. I do know, coming from a tech background, that much of the technology they use, specifically the 3D modeling device, is quite a few years off

so I'm sure in reality we know even less about the state of the supervolcano than they do in this program.

(Oh, and as an aside, I noticed that most of the actors had accents and they were using metric measurements, so I was wondering if this was a BBC program that Discovery is simply re-broadcasting.)

19. Roman Banned Banned

World production of food is at a surplus. US farmers are only in business because of government subsidies; otherwise America would get most of its food from overseas.

20. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

"Supervolcano" the docu-drama was OK, and quite believable... what I liked best was the acting, however.

21. Less Than Zero -1 Registered Senior Member

sumthing was on the discovery channel about this, last nite actually. it was a movie of what could happen

22. Xylene Valued Senior Member

You'll be getting covered with quite a bit of ash in Los Angeles, if that map is anything to go by. :bugeye:

23. godzillaroar2000 Registered Member

I am watching it right now...I'm on the computer also, so it is hard to follow for me...but in my mind...I pictured it to be worse

. On this documentary movie, it makes it seem so much more...less end of the world-ish. I just pictured it being a lot worse in my mind.