Yellowstone Supervolcano

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Wolfboy, May 25, 2004.

1. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Better check on the neanderthal dates again. I believe they have dug up some neanderthal skeletons in the caves of europe dating back to 40,000 years ago. Also, I hope you don't have a strong desire to start drilling for oil in Yellowstone Park..........and if you do, give us a warning first, O.K.???

Yob Atta

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

Well, shucks, guess you're right. No, don't worry about my drilling for oil there or anywhere. I hate it enough to be burning that oldest of dead tissue remains just to keep my fridge stocked. What I'm talking about is creating a volcanoe slowly rather than allowing it to explode violently. I don't think terraforming is really all that outside of human capability though, I think I'd like to be off planet before it is attempted. Maybe we could move everybody off for a couple years while we try some remediation. God-like, huh?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ck27 Registered Senior Member

mrchips do u have any concept of reality?? Just youir last 2 posts aboout space colonys. We are another thousand years from ever getting space colonys going where we wont rely on this planet

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

That is an opinion. I do believe there is quite a bit of evidence that we could do better than that by at least a factor of ten, that is hundreds of times the area of habitable earth available within one hundred years and easy safe means for going to and fro between them and the home colony, world, this planet. I do believe that the dependence on earth could be quite minimal as there are a lot of resources in space. I think I provided links to the data a couple of times now in other threads, but just do some research of your own.

8. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

I don't think there are to many planets in this solar system that have much potential for colonial settlement, at least not in the forseeable future. It's possible Mars someday might have some potential if they can land there and start a colony. I don't see that happening for at least another 50 to 75 years if we're lucky........More likely, we're going to be landlocked on this planet for a long time before we ever get to outerspace, like maybe 500 years or more would be a good estimate.

Yob Atta

9. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

Well, check out this which is a conservative estimate, http://www.l5news.org/L5scenario.htm that does not use planets at all for colonization of space. We don't need no stinkin' planets!

You can do more research yourself from the links at the site above and doing some of your own searching. In something like 1974, Gerard K. O'Neil's MIT class did an in depth study and estimated the available land surface for human habitation could be increased by a factor of 300 times in 75 years. I don't immediately find a link to that claim but state it from memory. Maybe if you feel so inclined to search you can find it yourself.

10. ck27 Registered Senior Member

Maybe in a thousand years we will be able to get space colonys big enough in space where u can have farms and forest and animals to sustain food and plants and everything. Even water and with a good enough system that could recycle and clean it again it could last for decades but eventually it will need more resources from another planet.

11. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

Tell you what, if you are still around in some 50 or more years and the space colonies have been developed at least somewhat in regards to the estimated feasibility, you can stay here in the gravity well and deny that they are there.

People are unaware of the information explosion and the huge potentials that are coming fast with it touching every science. Not only are some pretty heretofore fantastic imaginings becoming possible but also some catastrophic scenarios are quite possible due to our increasing abilities coupled with our capacity to neglect and abuse. We're going to have to be very careful with how we deal with science and try to use some real citations to our claims. Claiming that a certain situation exists without study or references will doom us to the latter scenarios but then, on a public forum, who should expect people to have a high regard for managing information in an integretable fashion? Is it correct to concentrate on the doomsday scenarios without healthy speculation of what we might do to avoid them? Well, if the desire is just to feed fear, then by all means, enjoy the depression of being in a "no way out" attitude.

12. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

http://www.ecotao.com/holism/hu_neand.htm

The most recent confirmed neanderthal remains are about 28,000 years old. Of course, many people would believe they survived into ancient historic times - that mythical ogres, or such characters as the wild man Enkidu in the Gilgamesh epic, were actually neanderthals.

Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World referred to a Sri Lankan forest tribe, whose legends talk of conflict with more primtive, hairy natives who didn't possess fire. The last of these man-apes were apparently chased into a cave and suffocated by fires built outside it. This was supposed to be only a few hundred years ago.

13. ck27 Registered Senior Member

LOl at this point in civilization their is no way out from this coming disaster. We still rely on this planet for everything and will for the next thousand years. If it were to go off we could kiss tons of species good bye and kiss civilization back to the stone age!

14. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

The Yellowstone Supervolcano when it finally does "blow" (probably sooner than you think), will most certainly humble most of mankind to the point of not eating at McDonalds on a regular basis.........You can take that to the bank!!!

Yob Atta

15. Facial Valued Senior Member

Our species exists only because of geological consent. When we pollute, overfish, and deforest enough, earth might just shake its head on us.

16. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

To think that our actions might affect our lives, what a revolutionary concept.

Facial, thank you for putting reason so succinctly. It is a relief from the usual noise here.

We are guests on this planet. Love it or we may be forced to leave it.

17. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Leave it and go where??? How about Titan in about 200 million years or better yet, Europa, in maybe 3 billion years. Nice places to think about immigrating to when things start heating heating up around here thanks to our Mr. Sol........

Yob Atta

18. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

Maybe like die, man, go extinct. Personally I don't think I can witness my own death but it is a possible avenue by which humanity might leave this planet.

19. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

It's a sure bet that in approx. 500 million to 1 billion years, the earth will not be suitable for any human or most of any other form of life as we know it. The sun will continue on it's evolutionary course towards the red giant stage and really start to heat things up around here. In 4 or 5 billion years, leave that day blank on your calendar.....

Yob Atta

20. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

Na, I'll be long gone by then though not necessarily dead. I wonder which stars will get to carry on my DNA line?

21. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

You're really dead if no remembers you........In 4 or five billion years, there won't be anybody left around here to remember you!!!

Yob Atta

22. Facial Valued Senior Member

Yellowstone's a really nice place. I took a road trip there and saw the geysers, but back then I didn't know it was a volcano.

I'm guessing that it will erupt in 60,000 years.

23. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

It's not just a vocano, it's a Supervolcano.......The largest Supervolcano and it's 40,000 years overdue for a super eruption!!! Erupt in 60,000 years??? It could erupt at anytime for that matter. Don't sell Yellowstone short. The already huge magna chamber under Yellowstone is getting larger all the time and it's showing it and this time when it erupts, don't be anywhere in North America when it does!!!

Yob Atta