Yellow ribbons and the price of honor

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Tiassa, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Hello, is something happening?

I'm not sure what to make of it, whether it's a cheap rag wagging for a story or the beginning of something very, very interesting. Time will tell.

Guard, Reserve short on recruits (USA Today)
    It would lighten my heart to think there would be any credibility to the notion that at least part of this is that people really don't look forward to the potential decades of combat brought on by a belligerent, imperious foreign policy; perhaps some of those people are recruiting targets.

I doubt it, though. It's more likely practical measures: Reservists pay steep price for service (USA Today)
    Perhaps they can rebuild their dream farm after it's all over. But still ... it is a crying shame.

Maybe this is why the GOP fretted over Clinton's military cuts.

:m:,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. aghart Registered Senior Member

the national Guard in the US are similar to the Territorial Army in the UK. They are part time or weekend soldiers, there to be called into service when needed. The problem is that they are getting needed far too often and for too long a time period and they are getting sick of it.

The professional regular army of Great Britain is also suffering a manpower shortage, too many commitments ( take note Mr Blair), too few military units to manage it. This results is large numbers of people leaving the army because they are simply never at home and the new recruits only serve the minimum term of 3 years because they too are fed up being sent here there and everywhere without any breaks in between.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.