Yay! Schadenfreude

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by visceral_instinct, Apr 22, 2009.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Aww! Thanks *hugs*

To everyone else, I don't care if her behaviour was because she was insecure or hurting.

I've been insecure and hurt in life too. I never take it out on others.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

At this point I'd normally say that you are naive. But I don't know how much real life experience you have with this..
    But if someone starts hitting you, you don't show compassion, you hit back or run.

Bah ! To humanity you mean.. and even that is questionable.

Yes, but it's only because you are human that you care about other humans.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Tell me again why being a parent means your life is ruined.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Naturelles Future Scientist Registered Senior Member

As a college freshman, you've just started one of the most critical times in your life, you need to study and have time for yourself. A new baby would require around the clock maintainance, and you also don't' have enough money to sustain yourself.

8. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Do a little thought experiment.

You are 18-20. You have your whole life ahead of you. You're looking forward to going to university/starting a new job/whatever. You are just starting to be more independent and have your own social life.

Then you're stuck looking after a screaming ball of flesh that keeps you up all night, pees and poos all the time, and needs feeding at random times.

I think I would rather be diagnosed with a degenerative disease.

9. Naturelles Future Scientist Registered Senior Member

Yeap, exactly.

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yay, someone agrees

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

But what if you want a screaming ball of flesh that keeps you up all night, pees and poos all the time, and needs feeding at random times ?

12. Naturelles Future Scientist Registered Senior Member

I don't think I'd want one when I'm studying at University.

13. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

To quote Nataurelles:

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You don't. But if someone else does, and thinks it's more important than studying, what's against it (other than the fact that she'll be increasing the human population) ?

15. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Exactly.

When you're 30 or so, it's probably the right time, but 18-20?

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think you're reflecting your own wants and won'ts onto a general concept.
    If someone wants to have a baby, and they can take care of it, it's as good a time as any.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Women can have children up to the age of 45 without to many problems. I'd think that given the chance to get a decent education, find a good job then have kids would be a very wise thing to choose. Then again everyone has their own values and goals in life so we all can choose which is the best way for each of us to go.

18. Naturelles Future Scientist Registered Senior Member

But her life won't be as good as one who has the time for full concentration on studying.

19. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

The point is that just because you think her life is ruined doesn't mean it is.

It's possible that if she is as bad as you say, this may be the best thing that could've happened to her. She may be forced to grow up a little and gain some perspective.

But if your idea of a good time is celebrating the "misfortune" of some chode that isn't around to defend herself on a internet forum, I would suggest that you need a little perspective as well.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yes, but those are your values, perhaps the person deciding to have a baby has different ones

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Of course I have perspective.

I know perfectly well that there are much worse things in life than being ostracized, like being raped, or being diagnosed with cancer.

It still makes me feel better.

I am glad she has proved that being popular in high school doesn't make you superior, and that being Little Miss Weird-ass with 1-2 friends and weird obsessions doesn't mean you will fail at life.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

For the record, I got (or assumed) from your OP that she wasn't planning on getting pregnant. I that's true, she has kind of ruined her life at this moment. But she might look differently at it in ten years from now.

23. Naturelles Future Scientist Registered Senior Member

True, just like diff cultures I guess

I experience people saying that to me everyday, when you use what they call "big" words and scientific principles or logic they say you fail at life. Eventually, they'll end up with a boring life, and me going into science, science is always exciting