Yahoo Fights Back in the E-MAIl War

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Rick, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Valued Senior Member

Yahoo has announced free 1 Gig of storage soon...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jinoda Registered Senior Member

Lol, right after gmail bumps up to 2 gigs.

I guess the 1gb will keep their current users happy, but I doubt I'll be closing my gmail account any time soon.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Actually, Gmail went to infinity+1

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Space is constantly increasing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

Everything is lame compared to Google. Google rules all. I can't wait for Google's web browser and IM service. Google is one of the most ingenius and innovative companies in a long time.

8. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Its nice to say that until Google turns Microsoft-ish. Google is offering a lot of things free to normal people. Somewhere down the road they'll be charging for services, and people will be bitching and be critical of the company. Right now stuff is free and everything is good.

9. Rick Valued Senior Member

Their model of business and revenue generation is different and their revenue models arent expected to change for some time.

10. Naomi [oxiglycodextrosium] Registered Senior Member

Then let us all cease using any products whatsoever and go back to every-man-farms-and-fishes-for-himself land, because the conspiracies are just too frightening. I'm sure the rest of us will think of you and wholeheartedly proclaim you our prophet when what you say comes true, because none of us believe that companies are out to earn money. That's right. We all believe Google is a charity.

Go home.

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Does anyone actually use the 1Gb for email?

Do you use it at all? Or do you use the space for something else than email?

12. cotton Resident Pirate Registered Senior Member

email would really never take up that much room. I just use it for sending big files to people.

13. Rick Valued Senior Member

I use to send Mp3s to my friends.

14. cotton Resident Pirate Registered Senior Member

Yeah my friend sent me a movie once. It just unfortunately takes a really long time to send big files.

15. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

I have saved every one of my emails since I started using Outlook. It has been about two years now and I have about 2,000 emails (fairly small amount compared to some people, these are only personal emails). My Outlook backup is almost 200Mb.

Gmail's goal is to allow you to never have to delete an email. If I was using a webmail service and not using Outlook, most other webmail accounts would be almost full, and I would have to start deleting some emails. I'm sure people who do a lot of e-mailing generate close to 1GB yearly.

Sending large files isn't really an issue, the attachment size limit is 10Mb. It would be pretty annoying sending a large file and splitting it up into 10Mb chunks.

So while it may not seem as though most of us need 1Gb (well, 2Gb now), over the years the amount of emails builds up. Who knows, maybe a few years from now you will want to find that email you wrote, but decided to delete because you needed more space on you webmail account. I think it's a good idea, plus it's FREE!

16. aadi Guest

Google rocks ......
    They've just changed the way internet looked to a layman.. Everything they touch seems to be in their search engine class..
    Long live these days ....Long live gmail..

17. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

You're probably already using it: Firefox. As for an IM service... again, nothing more than rumor.
    Not likely to happen. They get their revenue from advertisements. But if they do charge for a service, it will likely be a good one, and with good reason.
    Really, you can't have a motto like theirs (Do no evil) and end up like MS. Users wouldn't allow it.
    A few people. Not many

18. Rick Valued Senior Member

exactly.

19. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

Firefox isn't made by Google. And I'm not using it anyway. I happen to not like Firefox at all.

As for the IM service, you are right, it is only a rumor, but then again so is their browser development. I am almost sure they are going to make one, I mean IM is so popular I don't know why they wouldn't want to get in on it. AIM is almost a monopoly as it is, although I'm sure if Google started an IM service everyone would have both.

20. Rick Valued Senior Member

Who said AIM is a monopoly?
    Only in U.S.(and not even in U.S.)
    In U.S.Most People dont even like AIM,they use DEAD-AIM instead.And there are many other ones which are much popular than this :
    Yahoo! for instance is used by most of the Indians and South Asians.
    MSN is popular here in Dorms,in NJ

But yes,if Google enters the game,i think everyone will find hard to press on...

21. Aborted_Fetus Bored Registered Senior Member

zion, I am talking about the AIM service, not the official AIM client. And I said ALMOST a monopoly. Other services may have a good amount of users, but I don't know a single person that has regular Internet access that doesn't have an AIM screen name. Even my mom has an AIM screen name, she barely knows how to start the computer. AIM has the majority market share by far.

And about the official AIM client...it sucks, I use Trillian

22. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

As far as I understand, most of Europeans using IM use ICQ. AIM is only used by my friends in US (AIM is popular here in New York city area).

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I use Yahoo IM network (access with Gaim (Linux)). Wolf is right, I don't know anyone from Europe who uses AIM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.