xx males

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Asguard, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

in the last few days i have read 4-5 threads stating that the y cromisone is dying out and i was wondering something

rather than its dying as a metiphore for "maleness" dying is it genetically possable for it to disapear (exculding a situation where everyone is a cloned female)

i was wondering wether xx males (and for that matter xy, xxy females and xxx males) are actually fertile or are they all born sterile?

if they are sterile it would seem to me to be an imposablity for the y chromosone to "die out" any more than it would be possable for the x to die out (removing the chance of us genetically engernering people that way which is possable)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

I know an xx male.
    But remembering he as a she, the pronouns get really confusing.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

is he\she fertile?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

And if so, would she only be able to give rise to daughters.

8. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the y chromosome is dying out as a natural process, it will take a long time. Around tens of thousands of years if it happens quickly. In that amount of time, the problem could easily be fixed with genetic engineering.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i wasnt worried i was interested and i also wanted some scorn to put on the people who keep saying it is

10. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

What's the business with the 'SR' group people keep talking about?

I've heard it's the presence of this group that causes an embryo to develop into a male. Also, apparently the Y chromosome has an auto repair system: Its various palindromic sequences (mirrored sequence like AATTCTTAA) fold over onto themselves to correct mutations.

Roman (or anyone), does an xx male look the same as an xy?