XP survives another 6 months, or so

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Syzygys, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But most of them being sold today only offer Vista and stores won't switch it either.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

You can buy a good computer from Dell with XP on it or both Newegg and Tigerdirect have bunch of computers with XP...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Oh, I know there are some out there that are avaiable but the majority are only coming with Vista. You are limited as to which brands you can get XP with.

8. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

Can you link that? As far as I know, Dell has made an agreement with Microsoft that it will not only make all it's computer come with Windows Vista, but that it will be impossible to install Windows XP on it afterwards.

9. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

No, I was just on the Dell Website, they do offer XP PC's

I'm using XP right now as well, I like it.

10. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

this isn't accurate...

they sell vista only on personal systems...

no self respecting IT dept would run a train wreck of code bloat, and dime store functionality like Vista yet... not that XP was ever an actual OS... but Vista is a toy, like a 'play' OS...

so business systems all have XP options from Dell...

now they will only sell XP-64 to large corporations... and considering how sweet those 5400 workstations are.. that's a crime... when i get one i'm gonna have to figure out a way to lie and get XP-64 OS with drivers on my T5400...

i'll go pure Sun and FreeBSD and Linux when Vista becomes the only windows... i will never run or install it...

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I've still got an eight-year-old PC with Windows 98. I can't get some of my favorite games off of it so I keep it around. I have a newer XP machine for use as an IT consultant, but in real life I use a Macintosh because I don't want to have to think about computers when I'm off duty.

12. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

i have 98 running too...

and Solaris 7, and Solaris 8 on another box, and Solaris 9 on an Ultra 60, a Linux(Red Hat) laptop, a Linux (Red Hat) desktop, i want to try out that Ubuntu... and a Win2000 box...

Mac is FreeBSD... and that is a GUI i would like to try out... i will get a Mac when windows Vista is the norm... try a better GUI over a real operating system...

13. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I still can't understand why people complain so much about Vista, the only problems it had originally was that it didn't have compatible drivers for all 64-bit related functionality which has obviously been dealt with over the past couple of years.

The problem with an OS like XP is that it's ran for a period of time and received a number of updates and work around's to address various security related problems (not just functionality) With every change comes a new risk of creating a new exploit and this is one of the main reasons for OS Major Builds having a life expectancy. (Just look at the FreeBSD tree to see how many versions of the OS have been created in the life time of Vista)

If people complain about Vista because of nag screens etc, do some homework, it's simple enough to turn off if you want to remove it's security. Vista's better than XP when dealing with "Half-Opened" TCP Stacks which is something you deal with when torrenting but I won't go into that.

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Here we go:

1. It is a resource hog for no apparently good reason.
    2. The only major difference is DX 10 and the fancy graphics. If you got the basic Vista, you won't even get the fancy graphics.
    3. It is actually SLOWER than XP.
    4. Still driver issues and keep freezing at certain programs.
    5. You can't run it on older machines, and you need at least 1 giga to make it decent...

In OSs at one point we reach a point where there is no new major inventions, thus there is no need to come out with a new one in every 5 years...

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

How much RAM does it hog? For instance, off of a 3GB RAM machine, how much RAM is taken up by Vista?

16. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

most of the major issues, problems, and shortcomings of Vista are not apparent to the PC user... unless you happen to have your hard drive erased in a disk check or etc...

there are huge problems with it, from the disk checks that erase data and the OS itself, to mindlessly stupid memory utilizations techniques, some so completely stupid and clumsy, it takes a lot of performance out of a PC to cope with the stupidity of the pre-cache and journaling crap, they decided to go ahead and act like they can actually code and OS and failed... hence the 'performance hog' reputation... the clumsy and amateur Vista OS doesn't need more power to display the graphics, it needs more power to compensate for the bush league memory management and journaling "improvements"...

in it's core OS functionality Vista is a step backwards, not forward...

i think the general public is going to start picking up on what highly technical people have known for years... Microsoft is great at business, at acquiring existing software companies and working on software from there... but they have never really coded anything worthwhile from the ground up...

and Vista is ample example of that... as things move along the average joe is going to start to understand the truth about Microsoft...

when i installed the first beta release of Vista from the MDN and did early testing for 2 major national ISP's to give a software compatibility report... i was floored... i couldn't believe it... the "i have to use Microsoft unix is too hard" mindset seems to be slowly pushing Vista forward, but most of it is no other OS available, Microsoft literally having to force people to adopt it and report the catatrosphic problems, then Microsoft does what they do best, write more bloat code to patch bloat code on top of bloat code...

17. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I've heard so many bad things about Vista I'm thinking of going over to Apple for my next laptop. I've seen a comercial with a superthin laptop by Apple. Anyone know much about that?

18. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

it's running a real OS... and a damn good one, not SUN Solaris maybe, but nothing else is...

those Mac's run FreeBSD UNIX with an awesome windowing system over it...

now when you get into 'super thin' you get into model specific parts like RAM and video and etc... meaning parts cost more to upgrade... and parts won't be available for long, when that model goes out of vogue... this is true to some degree on any laptop though... just basic things to consider... if that model is going to be 'the' mac for a while many of those issues are moot...

as to the nature of the OS?... better than anything in the Wintel world, period...

i am definitely getting an apple down the line... the OS is too sweet not to...

19. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Don't get apple, hardly anything is compatible with it, and it'll never match Windows.

20. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

XP will survive on my computer until Microsoft decides to release a new version of Windows that doesn't suck. Even if they fix the performance and compatibility issues in Vista I won't be buying it, out of principle. They made too many compromises in DRM to keep the entertainment industry happy and ended up writing sloppy, bloated code to get the thing out the door. Put in enough effort and sure, you can get it running on par with XP, provided you have better hardware, but why bother?

21. oreodont I am God Registered Senior Member

We have 4 computers...one with ME, two XP and one with Vista. No real preference for one over the other. We don't play games, so maybe that's where one system shines. All systems are lickety split surfing the net, for word documents, photoshop, etc. I think a lot of resistance to changes is to do with a comfort level with a system. One gets to know a system instinctively and it jars us a bit when the desktop looks a bit different and so on. I've even been on forums like this one and there is chest beating over a change to format or colour background, etc. We like the familiar.

22. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

How are people finding Vista? I'm buying a laptop next week from work and it'll probably come with Vista as the Uni has an agreement with them so we supposedly get a better deal.

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

In all essence I've not had any problems with Vista. Admittedly I'm running a 32-bit OEM version and turned off most of the bloatworthy extras, however this is just common sense when dealing with Microsoft OS's.

There aren't many programs I've used that have generated any problems and those that do occur are simple fixes like running programs in compatibility mode or turning off Areo so the Transparency palette doesn't create a problem.

There are a number of extras that the OS does that XP can't do, like for instance extending your RAM via USB RAM sticks. I'm not attempting to convince anyone of anything, but I do feel a number have fallen foul of rumour meme's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.