Xp service pack 2

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by sargentlard, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

My sp2 experience went great for about 2 weeks or so then all of a sudden, the Dr. Watson thing would start happening. It would generally happen while browsing folders with a lot of files inside. I also found out that the only way to stop the "freeze" was to bring up task manager and close the process.

Stinking Microsoft. Get it together assholes.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Peaston,
    If your wife has a different login to yourself then the likelihood is that your different users have different settings, so it will be turned off in your sessions and perhaps on in her's.

I didn't fully Diagnoses Dr. Watson previously because I hadn't updated straight away, now I have and currently I have yet to see any sign of the Dear Doctor.

However I will step anyone that's willing to listen through the process of turning DocWatson OFF or at least knock him down a peg or two.

On another topic I've been following bugtraq's through the use of newsgroups the particular one in question is muc.lists.bugtraq

It's been said on there that someone has already worked out how to get around the way SP2 asks a user if they want to allow ActiveX or Scripting from websites which is a new feature to attempt to make it secure.

Apparently the workaround allows ActiveX or Script to be executed without the authorisation being necessary with nothing more than an extra entry to a HTML page.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ChickyDooo Registered Member

Hey Fellas,

First off, I'm new here, so don't yell at me if I'm in the wrong place - I've read till I'm blue in the face, but still don't necessarily have a good answer -

This whole Dr.Mortem crap - just surfaced for me, but I have a nuance that I can't seem to find any reference to - I can't get to my regedit, I can't start in safe mode, I can't do anything - when I boot up, I immediately start getting "windows explorer" errors, then the ol' doc shows up, and that's what happens - i flip flop back and forth between those two errors - If I shut doc down in task manager, two of them show up, and the whole windows explorer (so sorry for the inconvenience) just keeps popping up.

I can't click any of the icons on the desktop, and I can't get to my control panel, my computer, add/remove - nothing - due to these errors. Any advice (other than throwing the darn thing out the "window") would be appreciated.

Thankfully I didn't download XPSP2 on my laptop

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Chicky

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

1. backup the essential data to your laptop (LAN) or on another hd (borrow/buy)
    2. download all the critical patches and updates, burn them on a cd
    3. insert you windows cd, boot, format your Windows hd
    4. while formating,
    -make one partition for you windows and other applications
    -make another partiton for all your documents, mp3, other stuff
    (estimate how much space for each you'd need)
    5. unplug your network cable
    6. install a fresh copy of WinXp
    7. install all the patches and updates from your cd
    8. plug in the network cable, set up the network
    9. enjoy

---------
    now, every time when you windows goes bananas, you can format only the windows/application partition and all of your documents and other data will remain untouched

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

It sounds like those errors are either because of a corrupt download which can occur from time to time, or from files being corrupted during the install.
    XP SP2 doesn't error to everyone, I think the majority of people that have kept their systems updated beforehand install without a hitch.

NOTE: for future installers, install all the security UPDATES for your system before installing XP SP2, also make sure you have enough harddrive space on your C Drive. (You need like Gigs of space now adays)

To fix your installation, I would suggest getting your Original XP CD and to attempt to "Repair" XP by having the disc bootup. This might remove XP SP2, however should recover your OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.