Xp service pack 2

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by sargentlard, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Here here. Thank you for saying it.

Also, does anyone know how to turn off Dr Watson postmortem debugger?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I've had auto-update on for days and still haven't got SP2. What's the deal? The auto-update icon comes up and says it's downloading 0%. Nothing ever happens with it. No internet activity.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Can anyone tell me how to unsintall service pack 2? It can be removed through add/remove in control panel but control panel won't open because drwatson keeps freezing everything hence my reason to unsintall service pack 2 in the first place.

I can't get to the control panel......also where would I find my archived files so I can go back to the previous settings sans service pack 2.

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Did you try to follow Repo Man's link on how to turn off Dr. Watson?

9. Apeitheo ...decaying in the abyss Registered Senior Member

Well for me, Linux is a way to escape the Microsoft monopoly on the x86 desktop. As well as the overpriced products... Obviously one of the reasons Windows has so many bugs is because it aims to be easy for the user. Without that goal, things such as ActiveX may be disabled by default, thus making the browser more secure. Although the average user just wants his computer to work, so ActiveX is enabled so everything works. If you keep up with news, you would have also noticed that Mozilla Firefox had a security problem a while ago, with allowing something to install via the automatic install thing that Firefox has. This was put there with the intention to make it easier to use. As such things become more user friendly, more exploits will emerge. Although with Linux there will be something you can do about it, as opposed to Microsoft and people linked to them being the only people who can fix a problem. By no means is Linux software more stable then Windows or vice versa. Just a few days ago, the new kernel 2.6.8/2.6.8.1 was released, which broke audio burning! Besides the huge memory leak while doing so, audio cds are now corrupt. If this was something that I needed fixed immediately, I could scan through the source, and fix the problem, providing I knew how. Whereas in some extreme cases, it could be a few weeks until a patch is released for Windows had this happen. (Although for an issue such as this it might be sooner) Oh, and the Penguin looks cool

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Well it is because this is the testing version of xp service pack 2. Windows is, for now, only giving certain (I happened to be unfortunate one of them) members with AU on the trial service pack. So if you have your AU on you will definetly get it starting aug 25th, that is when Microsoft opens xp service pack 2 to all members with AU on.

I just uninstalled the service pack 2 from my machine....good riddance.

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Will the version on the 25th still be considered a 'testing version'? If so, I might just wait til it appears in the manual update. I don't care to be a guinea pig. Especially when I don't really need the security features it offers.

12. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I think so....anyways so many of the features have been turned off i nthe testing version so i'll wait for the final release....oh and guess what

as soon as I uninstalled service pack 2...AU is telling me service pack 2 is ready to be downloaded

Windows does love me more than you.

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Actually, it seems that your machine is a bit of a masichist.

14. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I'm glad you like Linux. And you seem to have a reasonable attitude about its benefits, and drawbacks.

But I've become increasingly impatient with the superiority complex that many Linux users exhibit. Usually found on computer forums like www.overclockers.com . "Teh windoze suxors, LOL!"
    Snotty, pasty faced junior highschool punks, many of whom are the leading cause of MS security problems. If these thousands of dateless wonders were working on ways to exploit the weaknesses of Linux, it might not seem like quite such a secure alternative.

I tried Linux out of curiosity a couple of years ago. I installed Red Hat on my backup PC (I bought a book), got it working, and then got bored with it. Windows does what I want. I have had very few problems with XP, and the majority of those were self inflicted through overclocking.

I was actually pretty happy with Windows 98 until I started using a motherboard with a Via chipset, and discovered overclocking. On my trusty Asus P55T2P4, with a K6-2+ 475 @500 (the first decent computer I built), it was as stable as could be.

The only time I've had a problem with the Blaster, or any other worm, was when I was careless enough to websurf with a fresh (unpatched) installation of XP. I've always used Netscape, and that has been a big help in preventing problems. But with all of the bad press the IE has gotten, and the increasing popularity of alternative browsers, I worry the bug makers may be looking harder at exploiting Netscape.

As for cost, I've yet to pay for an MS operating system.

MS has the burden of trying to be the OS for everyone. Try getting your grandparents to use a computer with Linux.

I have no problem with those who use and prefer Linux. I'm just annoyed at those who constantly feel the need to insult MS operating systems, and by extension, those of us who use them and are happy with them.

15. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Isn't there a linux vs. Windows thread somewhere?

16. Apeitheo ...decaying in the abyss Registered Senior Member

I know exactly what you mean. They think it makes them more of a 'l33t h4x0r'.

Yeah Windows XP does seem to be pretty stable, although it was a pain to install, since I just upgraded my motherboard, and the preinstalled one that I had on my second hard drive didn't work. Just so happened that I had a spare Windows XP Pro cd laying around, popped that in, and couldn't reinstall on the second hard drive, since it needed a windows partition on the main drive, which made me somewhat mad, but I eventually just deleted my Linux swap partition so I could install Windows, on the first drive...all so I could play Doom 3

I've gotten several viruses, but that's mainly due to running outdated versions of the software. I had to run Windows XP since my computer was down while I was upgrading my motherboard, and video card and whatnot. So I was stuck on an older computer with Windows 98/XP. It's not bad, and I can stand it, but I do like having the open source software, such as GIMP, Gaim, Firefox, Abiword, and so on, just because I've gotten used to them, and they suit my needs perfectly.

Exactly. Although some Linux distros are aiming for this, such as Linspire and Lycoris. Although having a centralized place, such as Microsoft, with only one developing version instead of hundreds of distros, makes it a lot cleaner.

Yes, for some people, Windows is the perfect solution. It's just that some software that Microsoft has, might not be the smartest to use, such as Internet Explorer, but even pro-Microsoft fans have said this.

17. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Over the years originally anti-Microsoft resentment was actually stirred up by those in proper hacking guilds that complained about the lack of Source code that Microsoft was willing to cough up to the Public Domain. Over the years, those resentments that were potentially written in tutorials on how to do things on the computer in the public domain became read by the constantly increasing upsurgence of junior delinquents and therefore continued the torch burning (and pitchfork wielding) towards Microsoft.

Alot of people thought it was just about Bill Gates and his Business sense in how to alter the state of OS 's from that point in time, but that was the real root of distain.

The main reason that Linux was propagated to be a better OS was purely for the Open Source, true "Hackers" (Note hackers in this case means people that like to alter/personalise the code) were able to get hold of the linux kernel and modify it to their own tastes, which has generated a number of different varieties of Linux.

However their will always be resentment to Microsoft because the difference between a "Organisation" doing Linux for Free (or donations) doesn't have the same creditibility as a Corporation, this means that hardware manufacturers tend to listen to those that make them money, in this case the Corporation. This is why most games are written for DirectX compatibility which is notible Microsoft and makes it impossible to be cross platform, so ports have to be made which in turn cost money to write and usually aren't bothered with.

It is noted that with the recent turn around for RedHat heading into a corporate direction with one of their builds that some of the hardware firms are actually taking notes from this particular linux build which is something going for linux (as long as the build doesn't defer too much from the other linux kernels, it could actually aid linux as a whole)

On top of all this, Wheres Apple at? I know there are alot of Apple users on this board, but Mac's are renouned for being expensive and even what they are good at is now often disputed to be "done better on PC". Although saying this I know little of what has recently been done with the sourcecode (because Im sure some was Open-Sourced recently)

As for the virus builds out there, the kids that do it rarely think through what they are doing first. Their viruses could infect not just personal computers or business computers but Doctors computers for an example. Someone could have some test results that if the Doctor deals with correctly would save their life but along comes a virus and downs the system, the results are lost and the person dies so the scriptkiddies can actually cost lives.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

That is not true. I've been playing Baldur's Gate II, Warcraft III and Painkiller on my Linux box. Using Cedega from transgaming.com

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

as I've heard there is or soon is going to be an official Doom 3 Linux Edition

20. Apeitheo ...decaying in the abyss Registered Senior Member

Yes, in a couple of weeks, www.doom3linux.com. But I couldn't wait that long

21. caffeine_fubar Dark Dementia is my name... Registered Senior Member

I like the new upgrade besides the fact that I CANT USE KAZAA LITE!!! DAMNIT! What am i supposed to download music off of now? Anyone else having this problem?

Popup Blocker works like a miracle.

22. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Service pack 2 works flawlessly with my computer. Not one program was affected. I can't understand the hoopla of this update. Most of the problems that happen are probably from people not understanding how to operate a firewall, and most of the more critical problems come from businesses who have highly customized networking and software. This update was to protect the non-computer-savvy users of Windows, so the businesses are having problems because Windows is trying to automate itself too much for their networks.

My kazaa lite works fine, as if nothing changed. It's version 2.4.3, the last version they released before being shut down, I think.

The popup blocker was long overdue. IE's competition forced this on Microsoft.

I keep everything in the "Windows Security Center" off or 'not monitored.' An update from symantec (norton) allowed the security center to recognize my anti-virus software, but even without that update, nothing would've happend as long as you turn things to "I'll monitor it myself." The windows firewall does not do as much as completely free firewalls like Sygate's personal firewall (which I use). I recommend you turn off Automatic Updates, as you don't know what microsoft sends to your machine. In IE, just go to the Tools menu, then click Windows Update, and you can manually update windows from their site.

People who don't update Windows are just idiotic. Are you afraid one day Microsoft will stop your from using your warez? What a sad day that'll be

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Ah Grazzhoppa, did you see a list of what the SP2 pack fixes?
    Doesn't it make you the least bit curious about what it's actually doing when it's patching? (From what was said on another site somewhere, It actually disables alot of protocols because patches haven't been made)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.