XP Licenses

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Nebula, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Okay. This is a simple question, with a simple answer. But I'm second guessing myself:

Let's say I have 2 computers running XP, but I only have one copy of XP on CD. That's b/c my second computer came with XP on it but didn't have a CD for it. If I wanted to format my second computer, could I use the disc I used on my other computer PROVIDED I use the serial # on the XP tag on my second computer?

I've heard different answers from equally reputable people...does anyone know for sure? Does each copy of XP have it's own electronic serial number burned into the CD?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. go xp pro and here's a license:

KMTTB-68H32-8MKRK-GBHKT-RKCP6

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. this let's u install service pack 1

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Sorry, that's not what I asked

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I don't have XP Pro and I don't feel like DLing burning it. Can someone just please tell me if my old copy of XP will install it on my new comp as long as I have another XP license for my new comp?

8. AMansAmoeba Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that you can infact do this. Hell, I was actually able to install a single cd and key on 2 computers. I did this by having it installed on one computer and simply calling a representitive (gives the number when trying to register). I told them that I had a new computer and that I had uninstalled it on my first computer and now wanted to install it on my new computer. You generate some number that tells them it is truly a windows xp cd and then read it off to them. They then read off some long number which activates your account. You're only allowed to reactivate them so often though, and if you do it a lot they will catch on and no longer let you go about it through this method. Currently both computers are operational with a single windows xp cd and key. And no this was not a corporate copy.

9. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

What AmanAmoeba said is exactly what you do. I did the same thing for Office when I wanted to install it b/c of a bunch of formats my harddrive went through. But your case, Nebula, I would think they'll give you a new key because you legally purchased a computer with XP on it. In the future, if you have a friend or relative in college, ask them if they can get free software...my brother recieved XP Pro with an unlimited license from his college.

10. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

They wouldn't give you the disc huh? I would sue that company for all they're worth...or at least send them threatening letters/emails.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Nebula Occasionally Frequent Registered Senior Member

Well, the guy explained to me that he has a burnt copy of XP that he puts on all the used computers, and then just enters the serial # that's on the XP Sticker on each computer. It must work then, b/c the version of XP he gave me activated fine.

12. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

and you activated it over the net right? Then it must be either some kind of magic cracked copy or some kind of master disk. It is impossible to activate more than two computers over the internet using the same license, unless it is cracked, in which case you can't install SP1 from the MS Updates.....and you said you could do that fine. SO either it has unlimited licenses attached to that CD, which is stupid since it's burned, or it is some very odd cracked version.

13. AMansAmoeba Registered Member

I believe he just has a corporate cd key. There are still some out there that have not been banned by MS so they can still be updated. Although they are a bit harder to find since they banned all the commonly used ones a long while ago. Also I don't believe the lisences are attatched to the cd as you can use corporate cd keys on any burned copy of windows xp pro.

14. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

question: Is MS Office protected the same way as xp? (call in registration)?

15. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Yes. Office has the same activation as XP. You can either call it in or activate it on-line.

16. Angelus Daughter Of House Ravenhearte Registered Senior Member

He's reinstalling XP on the same computer and using the key it was activated with originally. He just isn't using the same install CD. This ain't rocket science guys. Same PC, same serial number = works. He is using his new CD to install it on an OLD COMPUTER using his OLD SERIAL. He isn't using a corporate cd or installing the same serial on two machines. He has two serials and he's installing with the correct serial on the one it was activated with before.

17. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I agree. Simple question, simple answer - Assuming ALL Windows CDs are identical. Are they? What if one computer has an Update version? , FOR NEW COMPUTERS ONLY?, etc?, etc?

I think you have to find out if the 2 versions are identical.

18. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

Well what he had told me over MSN messenger was a bit different than what he posted here...and I didn't really look over his post that well. He didn't mention in his message on MSN that he had a second key. Anyways...my bad.

19. Angelus Daughter Of House Ravenhearte Registered Senior Member

Didn't mean to come off all high and mighty. I was in a bit of a bad mood yesterday and it just seemed that this thread was a lot of talk about nothing. My apoligies if I offended anyone by being so harsh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.