XP display properties problem

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Enterprise-D, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Has anyone seen this before: right-click on the desktop -> click properties OR control panel -> display properties to bring up the display dialog, results in basically nothing. The display dialog flashes onscreen for a second and automatically closes.

AV (NOD32) and spyware (Xoftspy and Adaware) scans do not reveal anything. I tried extracting the desk.cpl applet from the XP cd, nothing doing. This happened after a June Windows update.

I would be quite annoyed to reinstall Windows (within 2 months of the LAST reinstall) JUST to fix that :bugeye:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Have you run any desktop tweaking programs that might have accidentally changed some settings?

Maybe you should try uninstalling and reinstalling your video card drivers.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

No desktop tweakers.

Actually I forgot the drivers after intentionally leaving them for last...i have LOTS of settings there that I don't want to lose :bugeye:

Will try if there are no other suggestions.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

It sounds like a registry problem. Whenever I have weird problems like this in Windows, it turns out to be a missing registry key or something. Try searching the Microsoft knowlege base and see if you can find something there.

8. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

MS knowledge base was no help this time...will try the drivers *groan* and post again

9. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

have you tried going to ctrl panel and then display?

10. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Yes

11. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

heh, boy is my face red =]. today is not my day =]

I edited a display at work today, and instead of the gross load on the system, I typed "groos load." it didn't matter though, the gross load point in the database was bad, so I deleted it.

12. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

Oh I forgot to follow up...the Windows update replaced the nVidia driver with it's own MS driver...and hence replaced the desk.cpl that the nVidia driver had installed.

Reinstalling the nVidia proper driver fixed the problem although I had to remember all my settings :|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.