.xfs file: Ho to read?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by curioucity, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

.xfs file: How to read?

Hi

Okay, this request comes out rather random, but anyway;

I am thinking of ripping some BGM files from Gunbound (I'm using Gunbound World Championship), but I can't. One, there is no .mp3, .wma, .wav, .mid etc files in the whole game folders. Two, I see the file sound.xfs, which I assume is the file with all the sounds in it. As well, there are also other .xfs files such as graphics.xfs and avatar.xfs. That last two I may not be too fond of to deal with yet (may be in the future); I'm just intending to rip the audio files first, and I have no clue about how to open such a file (that .xfs). Can someone help?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

The file is probably in a propietary format devised by the game makers. It's unlikely that you'll be able to extract the contents unless someone has designed a utility tailored for this purpose. See the second entry in the link below - not that it gives much information:

http://www.filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=xfs

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Ya, had checked that site too, and indeed, no help.

And this reminds me... I wonder if there's any program which can read any file, at least reading their hex or binary sequences...... Just a random thought...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

A hex viewer will do this - there are plenty of free ones on the net - but I doubt that you'll be able to do much with what you see. It may give you some pointers though, such as what format the sound samples are in. It's worth a try.

8. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Cool, thanks for the idea. I'll try that ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.