X3

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Roman, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Roman Banned Banned

Not actually Sci-Fi, I know, but I just saw the X3 trailer and I'm excited.

I really like the X-Men. I'm not sure why; they're entirely mediocre bad movies. I guess I just like watching wolverine be a badass. And the special effects with all the mutant powers are cool.

Anyway, thought I'd try and start a non-starwars thread round here.

Cheerio.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Thank gods for a non-star wars / star trek thread.
    In any case, I haven't seen the trailer yet.... I'm off to do that. But I would say that the X-Men qualifies as Sci Fi. And on a personal note, I always hated those 'fakes' who were into the X-Men simply because they liked to see Wolverine be a badass..... True comic book fans knew better.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

Most comics hardly count as sci-fi, in the way that Asimov or Heinlein would. Most of it's adventure or fantasy or something decidedly non-science as they break the first one or two laws of thermodynamics.

I'm not a comic book nerd, and X-Men is cool for four characters: Magneto, Wolverine, Gambit and that blue guy who goes *BAMF!*

Gambit– Kind of a fag, but throws cards that explode. And can blow stuff up just by touching it. Pretty damn cool.
    Wolverine– Obvious reasons.
    Magneto- Control over metal would be wicked fun, and can counter Wolverine (they should have a weird relationship. do they in the comics?)
    Blue Guy– Well, he does teleport.

*BAMF!*

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

True enough about the SciFi / Fantasy distinction, but with the X Men, at least the basic claim was that mutations are the reason behind the abnormal abilities. The 'Blue Guy' is indeed very cool; his name is Nightcrawler (aka Kurt Wagner). The explanation behind Gambit's powers is that he can instantaneously change potential energy into kinetic.
    If I had my way, I'd love to see Angel (after all, he was a founding X Men member); Beast (ditto); more Iceman and Colossus.

8. Roman Banned Banned

Beast struck me as... lame. He was big and strong, but not nearly homocidal enough. He's in X3, and the dude who played Frasier in that sitcom is playing him. Angel has wings, right? And looks like an angel? Cause he was in the trailer.

Colossus is way bad ass. Can he breathe when he goes metal faced? I remember seeing someone do that in some...thing, but they couldn't breathe.

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Colossus' physiology allows him not to have to breathe while in metal form. In fact he is immune to the vaccuum of space, the effect of heat (below the minimum needed to melt osmonium steel), immune to the cold (doesn't get brittle), has no need to eat or drink, and is practically infatigable. The longest he has maintain is steel form is 5 days and 14 hours.

As you can tell he is my favorite followed very closely by Nightcrawler, Beast, and Rogue

10. Roman Banned Banned

Oh yeah, X3 also has Pheonix and I think Stacy X.

I hear Pheonix is super evil Jean, but I'm totally unfamiliar with that story arc. Anyone care to fill me in?

(By the way, go way the fuck overboard with posts, descriptions and opinions and whatever. This subforum needs some good, honest comic book geekery to counter all those Star Nerds.)

11. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Well more than likely we are dealing with Dark Pheonix

Imagine a being with the ability to rearrange matter and energy at will. Having a power level even Galacticus would be impressed by. Now normally this is a force working for life, but through some emotional manipulations Jean's dark side peaks through. One of her acts as the Dark Pheonix was cuasing a sun to go supernova just so she could feed on it.