X-Files season opener

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by DaveW, Nov 9, 1999.

1. DaveW Registered Senior Member

I'm just wondering what people's reactions to the X-Files premiere were?

Personally, I'm terribly disappointed. I suppose it is true that the mythology episodes are getting constantly worse. There seems to be a backlash against Carter's (brilliant) experimental episodes amongst the [cough] mainstream crowd. As a result, they're watering down the mythology shows with idiotic crap to acheive mass appeal.

What was most disappointing in this last episode was the legitimization of a creationist viewpoint. Scully seems to think that acknowledgement of extraterretrial creationism brings some sort of closure to the human intellectual pursuit, when in fact it is just standard mysticism cloaked in a scientific veil.

The only person who ever disputed this was Dr. Barnes (?). While Scully and the South African biologist were quite content with the immediate justification of ALL religions and spiritual beliefs, Barnes noted that none of that mattered. The aliens were not Gods, nor were any spiritual beliefs about God necessarily true. The only "God" that existed was the alien ship. "God" is comprised of our perceptions and the small world that surrounds us and justifies our beliefs.

And for these statements, Barnes was deemed mentally ill by Scully who very quickly decided to break a chair over Barnes' head.

Now, perhaps there is a message in that regarding societal resistence to extreme theories. I doubt this. I think the writers were actually convinced that questioning spirituality, and especially the justification of spirituality, is a sin.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

ok, that episode was gay.

but what i wanna say is, the x-files is based on aliens right??? then were are they getting all this new crap???

thats not all i got

------------------
    dexter

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I'm a writer by nature. I never judge a story until it's finished. I didn't find the episode particularly disappointing, but then again, I'm watching for a different reason. I'm watching for entertainment. When I turn on TV, I hang my philosophy on the coat rack.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

dexter,

before you find another chance to bash gays, learn to spell. Dimwit.

8. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

dude, i think i spelled everthything right in that one.

also, boris, my cat has the same name as you, isnt that rad?!?! i think it is.

i didnt just bust on them all, i just merly said that that episode sucked a big one. although some parts were good, like the ET craft, and mullder's abilitys. (sorry for the spelling)

thats all i got

------------------
    dexter

9. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

dexter,

So now what, are you saying only gays engage in oral sex?!

Btw, you did misspel "where". Dude.

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

10. styx Registered Member

I think that the season opener. Was the same as any of the shows. It didn't answer any questions of god or extraterrestrials. Being the same or if one was the other.

11. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Hey, Boris? You misspelled 'misspell'.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Oxygen--

About eight years ago, a writer named Jack Cady once described one of his short stories to me in the following manner: "I loved the beginning ... I had no idea how I was going to write myself out of that hole."

Here I find myself wondering if the X-Files writers can pull it off.

In general, though, I was happy with the first episode in the fact that it is the middle child of the current set. Season finale, premiere the first, premiere the second.

One of the things I've always loved about the X-Files is that the writers have continually changed the perspective of the plot. Was anyone surprised at Cigarette Man/Samantha? I've awaited the Vader/Skywalker I-am-your-father bit since the episodes where Mulder's mother had a stroke. In that light, I think the audience was closing in on a resolution about the time the Fight the Future script was in development.

Hence, the bees, the resolution of the black oil into a bipedal predator, &c., &c. Not only did they need to set a stand-alone script for the movie, but they needed to wrench the television plot to throw the hounds off the scent.

I actually consider this season to be a bonus. I wasn't particularly expecting this season at all ... I expected a midsummer press conference closing the book on the X-Files. So, yes, I'm expecting some disorganization in the production end, and perhaps a lackluster performance from Duchovny or Anderson in one or two episodes.

DaveW--

Just an afterthought, really: Did we forget Dr Barnes' apparent hostility? Consider: two women, African coast, remote location, scientist--in their perception--freaking out on them.

Actually, though ... I wonder if there was a more subtle message about logical clarity and the frayed ends of sanity? After all, how often do legitimate psychopaths make a frightening amount of sense?

thanx ... sorry to ramble,
    Tiassa

------------------
    "Let us not launch the boat until the ground is wet." (Khaavren of Castlerock)

13. DaveW Registered Senior Member

Heh. I just saw a preview on Fox of the next episode. Alas, the preview gave too much away.

14. MaTTo Registered Senior Member

As an X file fan, I'd find it a tradgedy to see them continue into an 8th Season (which could be a possability). It seems as though series writer Chris Carter is taking part in the accustomed way of the television series: keep milking it up as long as the $$$ keeps coming.

MaTTo

15. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I agree. I'd like to see the show end while it's still good. I don't want any bad memories of the show.

I hope that after the show goes off the air that the books keep getting written. I enjoy reading them immensely. Although I had a hard time getting to relax enough to read "Ruins", I thought it was well written, especially in the context of its Central American references. "Ground Zero" was something I could really relate to, as my father was an atomic bomb test subject. "Whirlwind" would have looked great on-screen, and "Goblins" was classic X-Files. Now I'm trying to find time to read "Antibodies" and "Skin".

The comic books have some good stories, too.

[This message has been edited by Oxygen (edited November 13, 1999).]