x^1.5? Help me understand, please.

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Jimbothegreat, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Jimbothegreat Registered Member

I understand powers but I just don't see how you can times x by itself any times that are not whole numbers. How do you times x by itself one and a half times?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ColdFusion Registered Senior Member

Easy:
    x^1.5 = x^(15/10) = x^(3/2) = sqrt(x^3)

ColdFusion

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jimbothegreat Registered Member

Thanks. But how do you get from x ^ (3/2) to sqrt(x ^ 3)?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

because x^(1/2) = sqrt(x)

8. Jimbothegreat Registered Member

Is that just one of those things that is true or is there an easy to understand reason? Sorry, I'm just curious.

9. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

Fractional powers are equivalent to roots.

x^1/2 = 2nd root of x^1

x^3/2 = 2nd root of x^3

x^5/3 = 3rd root of x^5

- Warren

10. myhr Registered Member

The short incomprihensible answer:
    By definition x^(1/2)= sqrt(x) an more generally x^(1/n) is the n-root of x.

To understand better why (most definitions have some kind of sense):

Powers of non-natural numbers are a generalization of the powers x^n = x*x*x...x (n times). For powers we have the easily verifiable rule (for n and m natural):

x^n * x^m = x^(n+m)

If we divide by x^m (that is multiply by 1/x^m) on both sides we obtain only x^n. That is we have to substract m in the exponent of x^(m+n) which is multiplying by x^(-m). In that way we se that our exponent-summation-rule remains valid if we allow for negative exponents, defining x^(-m) as 1/x^m.

When we only allowed positive exponents we could devide x^m (i.e x^4 for m=4) by x by decreasing the exponent (obtaining x^3, x^2, x^1) each time, but after x^1 = x we didn't now what to do. With negative exponents (and zero), we can continue applying the same rule, x^0 = x^1 / x = x^(1-1) = x/x = 1, x^(-1) = 1/x, etc.

So why did I spend so much time explaining negative exponents when our problem was non-integer-exponents? Because we do the same procedure over again, with another rule which is true for whole-numbered (and especially natural numbered) exponents:

(x^n)^m = x^(n*m)

(verify this for some low integers n and m)

For clarity I will switch to n and m being numbers, i.e n=3 and m=2, that is:

(x^3)^2 = x^(3*2)

Supose we now want to get rid of the 2 in the exponent on the right side, like we did for the m in the first equation. We then devide by 2 in the exponent. This is the same as multiplying with 1/2. But we also now that multiplying with a (integer at least) number in the exponent is the same thing as elevating the whole expression in that number (mathematically: x^(n*m) = (x^n)^m ). Let us now use our 1/2 instead of integer and see what happens. We elevate both sides of the equation in the power 1/2 and use that this is the same as multiplying the exponent by 1/2:

((x^3)^2)^(1/2) = (x^(3*2))^(1/2) = x^(3*2*(1/2)) = x^3

We se that elevating a number en the power 1/2 in effect, applying our rules, is the same as taking the square root of the number.

In the same way we can find that multiplying the exponent with 1/n (n being an integer) is the same at taking the n'th root.

An example: cuberoot(x^12) = (x^12)^(1/3) = x^(12*(1/3)) = x^4

As a summary, generalizing our two rules for powers of x, we have that x^(n/m) = m-root(x^n) = (m-root(x))^n. In your example x^1.5 = x^(3/2) = sqrt(x^3) (often written as x*sqrt(x))

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

goddamn math majors.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

Welcome to sciforums, myhr -- good to have you here.

- Warren

13. HallsofIvy Registered Senior Member

Wesmorris: "goddamn math majors

"

Yea, "x^(1/2)= sqrt(x) BECAUSE I SAID SO" is much better.

14. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

you see, the smiley was to indicate i was joking with him and impressed at the long winded explanation (and likely accurate if Warren didn't rip it up, I personally didn't read it that closely) that i couldn't possibly have given. i thought it self explanitory. now, i've spelled it oot. thanks for forcing my hand you bastard.

* The preceding smiley face indicates that I'm now joking with you TOO with the whole bastardness of the situation.

15. myhr Registered Member

There may be more intuitive ways of explaining it, but what I wrote was what came to my mind yesterday night. I remember "discovering" that sqrt(x) = x^(1/2) while trying to write a computer program for the first time. It was supposed to read in some dates for a circle or a square and return some other properties. It was quite esay to calculate the area from the radii or the sides, but as I didn't find a sqrt()-function I wasn't able to do the reverse. While trying to think backwards I suddenly got this crazy thought that elevating to 0.5 must be the opposite of elevating to the second (since elevating to the fist does nothing). I had never seen non-integer powers before, and was quite amazed when the computer didn't get hickup as I ran a program which elevated a number to 0.5. I was even more astonished when I saw that the numbers mached the ones from my calculator when I took the square root.

Btw, I'm not a math major