WSM or particle/wave.....?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by duendy, Apr 7, 2005.

1. duendy Registered Senior Member

I admit it....today i did a search and found quite by chance information that the particle/wave theory is being questioned. That WSM, the idea of a standing wave is apparently 'explaining' the rut modern physics got(?) into with its particle/wave paradox etc
    forgive me if i have missed thee boat and you've all discussed this already, and had
    vespers.....but i am curious what you think about this, because also the WSM also threatens the Big Bang theory.....etcetera

what do you think. dont go to heavey on physics-techy-talk, i am not a physicist, but AM interested in this

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. MacM Registered Senior Member

I hold a view of mass being a standing wave. So I'm not surprised that others may begin to see matters in that light. However, your post lacks detail and I cannot specifically say I support the view you refer to.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. duendy Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

The interesting implication in duendy's post is that physics is in some kind of 'rut'. Just like others here, the undertone is that physics is somehow driven by mass opinion and politics and the results are somehow 'dictated' by that. Physics is continually active with thousands of researchers testing the limits of known phenomena everyday in attempts to push the boundaries of what we know and to explain and unify our concepts. The Gravity Probe B has already collected over 7 months of relativistic data for analysis at a cost of over $700M. Does this sound like 'physics in a rut'?

I'll say it again. A sure way to get a Nobel, is to show a standing theory to be in error or even just not quite complete under more extreme circumstances. There is a STRONG incentive for scientists to push the boundaries. Who'd like to be the next Newton or Einstien, or Maxwell?

8. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Besides, the wave/particle 'paradox' is another like the 'twin paradox' that is only a paradox to non-physicists. The nature of a particle is such that depending on what you are looking to measure, it makes more sense to work with it as a wave or a little billiard ball. The reality is somewhere in between.

As for your website, here's a quote:

Who claims to have the key to Reality and the Truth? Priests and crackpots.

9. duendy Registered Senior Member

i agreew ith you.......or better, i am exploring this. after all it's only today i found out about that theory

i have already contacted the authors telling them my servations about the mythology they arre choosing as a prototype-myth as metaphor for their theory

for example, from other researches, i am awre that Eastern metaphysical ideas harbour a dualism between an IDEALIZED 'One' versus a denigrated 'Many'...and thus deem the manifest world as 'Maya' or illusion. as we see this idea can create a divisive paradigm, similiar to our patriarcahl religious dogma, and the 'secualy' Mechanical Paradigm

funnily enough i found the site after getting insight to try searching 'particle/wave ecology' at google. this search was inspired after reading a very interesting essay by Ralph Metzner ...check it out here http://futurepositive.synearth.net/2002/03/04
    For i was trying to find out a connecting factor between modern physics and deep ecology, for as we know it is physics which is still seen to be the main science...the 'roots'
    whereas many people are now understanding ecology--implying a multidisciplinary approach-- has been and must always be the roots

10. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

duendy,

There a lot of people who see parallels in modern physics with eastern ways of thinking, and that's fine. I just don't buy that the tao, or zen philosophy somehow IS physics and holds the truth or whatever. If you find that the concept of a unifying oneness helps and makes you feel good, super. Practicing a zen way of thinking has helped me with some things.

11. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

You forgot to include scientists who claim to have the truth, but then maybe you did include scientists?

One seminal source of the wave particle duality was the results of two hole diffraction experiments. The only direct measured attribute of electrons is as a particle and a very small particle at that. The wave aspect was added to account for the apparent transition of electrons through both holes at the same time. This resulted in the ad hoc alteration of the wave equation to explain the apparent passage of the electron through two holes at the same time. Patchwork physics.

Geistkiesel ​