Writing in the sand.

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Apr 9, 2007.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

this post is not of much use as it cannot be backed up by any real proof as i will explain. but i thought it was interesting when i thought about it the other day.

i believe for thousands and thousands of years people have been writing and creating artwork in the sands of the beaches all over the world, and ofcourse when the tide comes in the following day or later on that day it is all washed away and never seen by future generations.

people have probably used sand writting before any other type/form of writting with sticks or there fingers or whatever. but we will never know ofcourse for the obviously stated reason.

peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

That's a pretty silly theory, don't you think?

If someone wanted to write something badly enough to go to the trouble to write it out on the sand .......don't you think he'd soon realize that he needed to do it where the water wouldn't wash it all away?

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Does this activity even warrant a theory? I have a theory that people used to draw on the earth with sticks, or use charcoal from a fire on a dried leaf or plank of wood...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

It sparked something in me, so I appreciate it.
    Think of the Butterfly Effect.
    Do you think that your life has been effected in any way by something someone wrote in the sand 100,000 years ago, that was washed away a few minutes later?
    Did it spark an idea in the writer that changed the course of the world?
    Did (s)he tell someone else about it?
    Did someone else read it?
    Did it effect the waves at all or the rate at which the sand was moved by the water?
    Did the stick kill a bug that would have given our writer a disease and killed him or her?

8. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Oh, surely you jest! We all know that humans waited until they could make paper fit into the typewriter before they started writing!

Baron Max

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Typewriter? :bugeye:
    What's this typewriter thing?

(you wait, the next generation will not know)

10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

its not a scientific theory, its just a notion. but think about it just because it got washed away doesent mean it wasnt still written,

and its a silly thread i know, but i still think people probably wrote in the dirt or the sand before anything else,

maybe,

peace.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And what possible difference does it make to anything ...past, present or future?

Instead of "thinking" about things like that, why not think up ways of solving some of the problems of the world? Like, poverty, hunger, disease, education, politics, conflicts, wars,............?

Baron Max

12. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Maybe the writing in the sand was a temporary place to jot down a note, to make an idea symbolically real to give the author a springboard to another idea. Memos are passed on post-it notes that are destined to be wadded up and thrown away, yet they are no less useful. Sand and dry dirt can serve as a good place to work something out, like a mathematical equation, that may lead to bigger and more sweeping ideas.

Sometimes it's just wimsy. I was very young. The war in Vietnam was still going on, among other bits of warfare across the globe. I remember my father, a WW2 vet, walked down to the water and drew a huge peace symbol in the sand. We watched as the sea washed it away. I was sad because it was gone. He told me that he was glad the sea took it. He hoped the waters would carry it around the world. Didn't work, but it was a nice thought.