Wow

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by mountainhare, Jul 8, 2004.

1. mountainhare Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I saw many dead hornets as well but also saw many living honey bees.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. vslayer Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

i can only get the audio track

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Firefly Registered Senior Member

I got two words of speech and a couple of frames every 5 minutes, so gave up. Then again, I am on dial-up.

8. vslayer Registered Senior Member

so am i

9. SkippingStones splunk! Registered Senior Member

That video is amazing.

10. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

Whoa, I was not aware that such happened. 30 hornets destroying a bee hive of 30,000 bees in three hours and then plundering the hive mainly for pupae and larvae. Pretty amazing. Maybe we could draft the hornets into fighting the Africanized killer bees.

11. OverTheStars Registered Senior Member

That clip is the most depressing thing I have ever seen in my life! Those poor little babies...::sniff::

12. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

sad, I once read a repot about some asain(?) bee species that will immediately form a ball of bees around a hornet and buzz like crazy, the heat they produce will cock the hornets alive killing them, the bees them self’s can withstand the temperatures.

Oh here I found it:
    http://www.muenster.org/hornissenschutz/manda.htm
    I wonder about Killers bees vs hornets, I searched on google all I could find was that African bees have a 1/250 ratio (250 bees to take down a hornet) while European bees have a 1/1000 ratio. Africanize bees are even meaner then there none hybridize African counterpart, I wonder what they can do.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Interesting. So, the hornet is a Japanese hornet? In my home town, a friend of mine was maintenance man at an apartment complex. They were briefly plagued by giant wasps. He says he sent one to a lab or something somewhere and they told him it was a Japanese Giant Hornet. Says they can reach up to 70 mph. And they can cause a bruise just be smacking into you. They didn't last long and the infestation was brief. Probably a lack of honeybees in the area to prey on.

So, the Japanese honeybee which evolved in tandem to the hornet has a defense, while european honeybees are defenseless. I wonder if the Japanese hornet is becoming a problem throughout the world? Are they spreading into new areas? My hometown is in the heartland of the United States, very far from Japan.

Crazy stuff. I bet there was a pissed off beekeeper at the end of the day. I wonder how much the camera crew had to pay to allow a productive hive to be slaughtered like that?

15. Firefly Registered Senior Member

It just saves as a WMA playlist, which is 1kb. Anyway around that?

16. blackholesun Registered Senior Member

Don't you just love that dramatic music? It made you think you were watching "Glory" or something. Overall, a very interesting video.

17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Here's the address of the actual file. I'm not sure how to get it to download. Might need some kind of stream ripper.

mms://stream.eizodana.com/olympus/m01_hi.wmv

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

19. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Yeh, try this. <-- Right click, Save As...

20. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Nope, doesn't work Alpha. I tried the same thing. Substituting http for mms but it didn't work. I don't have much knowledge in working with streams, so am unsure how to download it. I'm sure there's a stream ripper program. But, that probably depends on the stream coming in at the right speed. Don't know. There should be a way to not play the movie and allow it to catch up. Increase the buffer. But, when you pause Windows Media Player, it stops downloading. And if you open the stream in the real Windows Media Player, rather than in the web page, the save as option is grayed out. I'm guessing it's copy protection. What if you set another media player to open wmv instead of wms?

Did the dial-up version work better for you dial-uppers?

21. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Works for me, but I don't have windows media player. I also happen to be on linux.

I had MPC set to open .wmv on my windows installation. Perhaps it will allow you to save.
    I suggest you try a download manager like Getright. It should definitely allow you to save it.

22. Firefly Registered Senior Member

Didn't work for me on dial-up, but I'm using Win Media Player, haven't downloaded any codecs (though haven't had any problems with anything else either). Can't be bothered download stuff just to watch this one clip anyway, I'll just read the article or something.

23. Alpha «Visitor» Registered Senior Member

Try Getright. Install it, and go to the page from in Getright. It will display the items in the page, and you should be able to tell it to download the movie.