Wow! great deal on 42" plasma!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by dsdsds, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I just saw this on tigerdirect.ca. That's Canadian dollars!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Edit: Sorry, this was not intended as an ad. It's just a comment on how prices are dropping fast on this technology. Also, what is the main differences (in quality) from one plasma tv to another?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Uhh look at the resolution....it sucks. The better plasmas have something like 1220 X 1078 resolution I believe (the numbers are made up but I believe they are close to this actual ones)

A true plasma should trump TV's resolution....this one only ups it a little for more clarity. Gateway has been selling a similar Plasma for near that price for a while now.

The real, killer, Plasmas are still too expensive as a practical purchase IMO....unless ofcourse you have the money or a serious desire for crystal clear picture.

I recall reading that the higest resolution TV/monitor ever made has something like 4550 X 3560 resolution and costs about $20,000 for a 19 inch model. Apparently it's quality is so good that it is recommended to not turn the resolution up full throttle to aviod eye damage.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I'd rather buy a projector (you can get some really good ones off of tigerdirect.ca) and you can have a TV a hell of a lot bigger than 42 inches. You can also play computer games with ease with it. Last year, our teacher in the tech class had a projector for the classroom that he never used, so I took it home for a few weeks. I had gaming parties, mivie parties and video dances. THe projector is much more portable and more fun.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

But the lightbulbs for a projector can be quite expensive, at least the good ones that can be used for some thousand hours. Apart from that, I would agree that projectors are way better. Also, some plasma screens have a slow reaction rate, so the picture gets blurry when the frames are changing fast, meaning they cannot display fast movement very well.
    And the one in the add is crappy, such a big screen with such a bad resolution, I do not think that the picture would look good.

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Try having a Plasma TV fixed, you can't very easily so that means you'll be buying a new one every 5 to 8 years if it holds up that long. Also they grow dimmer with time, about 10 years before they show their fading out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.