Wow!! Get Paid to Play! Everquest, WoW, D&D.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Cottontop3000, May 19, 2006.

1. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

I just learned today that people are paying money for other people's accounts in online games such as EverQuest, EQ II, World of Warcraft, D&D Online, Final Fantasy XI, Lineage II, RF Online, etc. Some of the accounts I looked at for EverQuest II were selling for as much as $699. The cheapest account I saw was $143. Here is a company that buys and sells accounts: http://www.ige.com/

From http://www.ige.com/about :

"It’s Big Business

Analysts estimate the 2005 marketplace for virtual assets in MMOGs is approaching $900 million. Some experts believe that the market for virtual assets will overcome the primary market—projected to reach $7 billion by 2009—within the next few years.
    "

Has anyone here ever bought or sold an account in this fashion? Is it legitimate, and if so, can you tell me what you think/thought about the whole experience? Do you think that someone with a lot of time on their hands and a love of gaming could actually make a living off of this?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

My friend sold his Everquest account for $1300 a few weeks ago. Nice pocket change there. He did it because he needed money to pay for his dorm room. I have another who used to do it all the time for extra spending money. He would make $500 or so a month per account.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

This is just flabbergasting. What level characters were on his account, if you know? I'm starting to get a little excited.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I know nothing about games like that... however the one he sold for $1300 he had played with for about 2 years... he had a tendancy to get hooked for a long time then stop playing for a long time. Basically as far as I know is that there are weapons and such that are VERY rare in the game and if you get a hold of one, you could make a lot of money selling it on eBay... basically they buy it, you guys meet up in some world and just hand it over. Funny how a weapon worth only a few hundred kilobytes of storage space can be worth so much

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As for me, I just stick to first person shooters like Counter Strike and Quake. Cannot make much money in those UNLESS you are like my friend, who makes his living playing Halo 1 and Halo 2. Sponsors pay him to play and he keeps all the prizes. I wish I was that good

8. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

This world just keeps getting stranger and stranger. Someone I know just bought one of these accounts and wouldn't tell me how much they paid for it. Said it was too embarrassing. That's how I found out about the whole thing. I'm gonna have to look into this.

I wonder if there are certain games, certain servers and certain classes and specializations that are in high demand while others are flooded, driving the price down. I'd hate to spend a few months working on a character with the intention of making some money off of it in the end only to have the character be worthless when I wanted to sell it. Don't get me wrong, I love gaming. However, some online games can feel like a job after a few months. Tedious, repetitive...cookie-cutter quests, etc.

I'd still like to hear from anyone who has bought or sold an account like this themselves. Especially if you have any wisdom about the whole affair. Is there anything like an online-gaming stock-market? Websites that list what is in demand and what is not? Strategies for making money off of it? Brokers. IPO's. Federal grants or loans.

9. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

What you need to do is hang around with college folk.. I go to college, it's how I know what games are popular and who is playing what for how long. So far Everquest has stood for a while... people have got divorced because one of the spouses (usually husband, duh) is playing day-in/day-out. They call the game Evercrack... something about it is so addictive...

I hope to find the link again, and I will post it when I find it, about a study trying to explain why people will play these games for HOURS doing very boring stuff that is just mind numbing just to get a single item (the DELAYED reward) when they will not even cut the grass or do the dishes.

10. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Damn, that hurts, but I am one of those people. I got divorced many years ago, and my gaming habits were a part of the problem for my wife, in addition to my temper and depression. Anyway, the mind-numbing aspect to gaming is sometimes the goal, at least for me. I also definitely understand the preference for the game over that of mowing the grass. I need to go mow the lawn right now, but I will wait until I absolutely have to get it done and then pay a physical price for waiting.

Anyone out there ever personally sold or bought an online gaming account?

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

In runescape Autoers (bots) are a big problem. They mine ess, woodcut jews (logs), fish and sell these to collect the native monetary currency: Gp. On the internet they sell these to players for real money.

The bots were so bad lately that you couldn't really cut jews yourself anymore and the price of essence had dropped considerably.

Most of these bots are operated by computer sweatshops in China. Easy money basically.

However, it is against the rules to sell runescape accounts, or items.

So recently they made a change to the essence. The essence on the free servers (f2p=Free-to-play) is now different from the paying members servers (p2p=pay-to-play). There used to be an active trade between members and f2p players in essence. Now that has become impossible.

The bots moved to jew cutting and fishing.

Recently there has been a major update where the gaming engine has been overhauled. This got rid of most botters. However, it is unknown how long this will last.

It's just a game people.

On the other side there are games in which it is allowed to trade stuff for real currency, such as Entropia.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4385048.stm

12. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

do you play runescape spurious, and if you do whats your level?

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Yes, lvl108 RSN: spuriousmonk (monkey didn't fit)

14. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

shit me, im level 73

15. domesticated om Interplanetary homesteader Valued Senior Member

When I read the title of the thread, I was assuming it was talking about a possible JOB where a person could make a salary (as in- a weekly or biweekly paycheck) roleplaying. I iwas thinking maybe these MMORPG companies had finally started hiring real people to play NPCs or something.

-wanted-- virtual village drunk that gives rumors to passing players-- $12.00 hr.

This is more along the lines of 'hobby with the potential benefit of making a few extra dollars'.

16. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

That was a good article Spurious. Now I'm starting to see where this is headed though, most likely. Commercializing online games with billboards, television commercials, ads in every corner of the online game world. Imagine running out of a forest in an online role-playing game with a dragon close on your heels and seeing a giant billboard for Coca Cola, just before the dragon bites your head off.

17. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Yea, well... not to brag or anything but I am level de_cbble on Counter-Strike... so HA

18. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Level "de_cbble?" Is that level unique to Counter-Strike? I've never played it.

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Hehe. it's a bad joke those that play CS will get, but maybe not laugh about. It just one of the maps played in CAL/CPL for competition... it's a standard CS map. The most popular is Dust2 which is a fairly balanced map for both teams. Cbbl is basically balanced until one team gets the high powered rifle called the AWM/AWP.. then that half of the game is basically handed over.

Probably more than you cared for.

20. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

However one thing to take away is that if you want to make money playing video games you need a few things.

1) Find a popular game that one can compete it, like WoW, Warcraft 3, Halo 2 (though it has gone downhill since Halo 1), Counter Strike, Quake 4, ect.
    2) Play for 8 hours a day
    3) Been playing the same genre of games since the age of 10 or so unless you are one of the lucky few who can start at 16-18 and be good by 20.

21. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

Sounds good. I love a lot of games, though generally RPG or real strategy (not crap like Starcraft or Rise of Nations where it's all about how fast you input shit). I've been playing computer games since '90 or so when a 20 MB hard drive was impressive and when I get into a game, I generally play for 36 hours and then sleep for 12, day after day until I get tired of it. That's gonna be my problem, continuing after I get tired of it. Just like a job.

22. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

I heard about this happening for EQ accounts years ago. To get a high level character in EQ was not easy and took a loong time. You would have to get a lot of money to make it worthwile.

It isn't too hard to get a WOW character to 60 and it doesn't take that long. I don't know why anyone would pay for it. I got bored of my hunter when he got to 60.

The journey to get there is more fun.

23. thedevilsreject Registered Senior Abuser Registered Senior Member

anyone have any good (free) mmorpgs