Would you trade freedom for wealth?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by c20H25N3o, Oct 3, 2005.

1. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

If you were poor but could just about sustain yourself in a land where there was no government or police, just self-rule, would you trade those freedoms to go and live under a dictatorship rule where everyone was wealthy but your movements were monitored and policed all the time, where curfews were a way of life? Please give reasons either way.

peace

c20

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That's called utopia and that doesn't exist.

So I cannot answer a question that can never happen.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

Surely Utopia would be a place of freedom where there was an abundance of wealth? How could Utopia be a place where you were herded like cattle but fed rich cattle food?

peace

c20

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I would take the money. To be honest I don't give a toss if the government watches my every move, it's not like I do anything naughty...

So give me the money and the luxuries thanks.

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

oh dear shit....te idea of being wealthy with other wealthy mean morons (manywealthy people are mean muthas) in a protected fenced off housing estate all monitored...is my idea of nightmare!

REAL wealth is
    Healthy Land and Community, and with it comes freedom

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I have to agree with KennyJC. I'd take the wealth and luxuries ...and the cops could "monitor" me any time they wanted to.

I'm not sure what you mean by "...where curfews were a way of life"?

I'm also not sure what you mean when you say that we'd be "monitored and policed" all the time? For what purpose?

Slaving away all damned day, every damned day, for ones own sustance is not a pretty life, even if it's on ones own land/garden/etc. ....and it's surely not "free"! Is one "free" if he has to work in the garden/farm 12 hours a day just to be able to eat? We often say that that's "...being a slave to the garden", don't we?

Baron Max

10. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

Basically you could be told when you could go out and when you couldn't go out. There would be times when you would be required to stay in your house and could be shot or imprisoned if you broke that curfew.

Let's say it is because the dictatorship does not want you to have access to the free market. They have their formula for wealth but the success of that formula depends on you having no contact with other countries or ways of life. Internet is banned, all forms of media are highly sensored. Freedom of speech is limited and you can be killed for opposing the way of the dictatorship. The monitoring is to ensure that you stay wealthy, well at least is how it is sold to you.

But when your done slaving away for enough food to live on, you are free to do as you please even if that is just freedom to walk the fields at night and chew on a carrot under the stars knowing that you are the master of your own survival.

Does that help to clarify things?

peace

28d

11. water the sea Registered Senior Member

We have a "milder" version of wealth dictatorship within capitalism anyway, so your example isn't odd at all.

Alreay on principle, I do not advocate material wealth. Life is hard enough, and much harder with great material wealth, as one becomes paranoid with clinging to material things.

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As I've stated there's no such place as utopia and there never will be. Many people claim their form of governments will bring utopia but the only people that live in a better place are the ones in charge telling everyone else how to live while collecting money for doing nothing. We have many nations that are doing that today.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  13. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

I have not said either 'way' would be perfect or utopian. I just asked which way you would choose to live given the choices presented.

Would you prefer wealth under a strict dictatorship or poverty and self government?

peace

c20

14. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

i wouldnt like that much at all unless i could choose the people i was living with.otherwise the minute someone who doesnt care for the "do unto others" way of living can get a stick,beat me around the back of the head and take everything i have.

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

This is what you stated and what I am refering to. You are stating that everyone was equal with how much wealth they had and by this statement you also are saying everyone is wealthy. There's no government that can give everyone what they want in regards to wealth that I'm aware of unless they are in Utopia which doesn't exist as I have stated.

16. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

pretend they have a country of equal size next door who are happy to do all the crappy jobs that are needed to keep the rich country rich.hey!sounds kinda familiar.

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

That's not the same question that was asked before. If I lived in a country that was full of corruption and wrong doing by the leaders I'd find a way to band together and overthrow the government instead of running away and hiding elesewhere while my fellow countrymen and women live in poverty.

18. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

no,it would be a different country.not your countrymen and women living in poverty.

19. ArmanTanzarian Registered Senior Member

This is a tough one. I'm currently trading freedom for middleclass. So the system would sell this as an option? Upgrade?

Cheers
    -b-

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!